Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
The source is Digitimes. They report hundreds of plausible things, some based on things we know from other sources already (adding nothing) and some of which by luck turn out to be true. Few people bother to note all the times they're wrong, but their track record is poor.

I'm sure Digitimes loves the attention, but disregard this as pure speculation. Not a real "source."

As for retina, all of the following must be solved first:

* Bigger battery to drive that power-hungry display (remember: the iPad 4 is thicker and heavier than the iPad 2 for this reason!)

* Bigger battery to drive the powerful CPU and GPU needed to drive all those pixels.

* Making that extra-powerful battery happen without the device being thicker and heavier

* Fitting the thicker retina display in the same thin case... so maybe the battery has to be... smaller?

* Achieving high enough yields of the new display--and being confident of those yields (why make a better iPad if that means selling fewer?)

Those will be solved... but soon? I'm doubtful. Sounds like 2014 to me.

Apple stockholders are probably hoping you're wrong and we get a retina iPad mini this year. No retina on the mini will be seen as a FAIL by the media and many MacRumors readers. Wall St. will respond accordingly. Something other than a lackluster iPhone 5S update would also be appreciated.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
I trust you're joking, unless you normally hold your mini at the tip of your nose. At the normal 1-ft viewing distance, I can't see a difference in clarity between my iPad 3 retina and iPad mini display. I can barely begin to see a difference at about 6 inches from my eyes.

Some people are young and have very good vision. Some people also have higher standards. If it is not the best, why pay Apple premium for it? I only buy Apple when it is the best.

:apple:

pr0230

Suspended
Feb 7, 2013
Touch & pad

I have the IPOD Touch which prompted me to buy the IPAD... Both are STUNNING with the retina display...

At times when watching video, The screen almost appears to be 3D.... If in a dark room, you close one eye, you almost feel as if you can put your hand INTO the screen... That is how clear and 3D like it is...

snowfall

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2005
Love my iPad mini, for me the form factor is perfect, and I don't have problems with the screen, despite using other retina devices.

A retina version would of course be appreciated, but if it increased the price due to the need for more expensive components: say a more expensive processor to drive more pixels at the same performance level, more backlight LEDS, etc...

Not sure.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Well the iPad 3 got thicker, didn't it? Apple had to compromise the thickness of the design which they won't or shouldn't do with the mini. Compromising the thickness of the mini would defy the purpose of the device. I'm with nagromme on this one, which actually seems likely given that some credible computer hardware magazine sites such as Anandtech says it would be close to impossible to pull it off without making a significant trade-off.

I got thicker due to the need for a dual LED lightbar design (as opposed to a single one), which made the screen thicker and required a more bulky battery to power twice the backlights. Screen tech has advanced sufficiently that this is no longer required, hence the rumors that the next full size iPad will adopt the Mini's design, including the thinness.

Technology moves forward, problems from the past don't necessarily apply equally to the future.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
The source is Digitimes. They report hundreds of plausible things, some based on things we know from other sources already (adding nothing) and some of which by luck turn out to be true. Few people bother to note all the times they're wrong, but their track record is poor.

I'm sure Digitimes loves the attention, but disregard this as pure speculation. Not a real "source."

As for retina, all of the following must be solved first:

* Bigger battery to drive that power-hungry display (remember: the iPad 4 is thicker and heavier than the iPad 2 for this reason!)

* Bigger battery to drive the powerful CPU and GPU needed to drive all those pixels.

* Making that extra-powerful battery happen without the device being thicker and heavier

* Fitting the thicker retina display in the same thin case... so maybe the battery has to be... smaller?

* Achieving high enough yields of the new display--and being confident of those yields (why make a better iPad if that means selling fewer?)

Those will be solved... but soon? I'm doubtful. Sounds like 2014 to me.

errr... or the display can use less power like the IGZO. You don't need more power CPU, you need more powerful GPU and bigger memory bus to move all the additional pixel. The question is whether A6 is good enough or they need A6x (don't laugh A5 is good enough to power a Ipad 2. Ipad mini is only 66% of the surface area of Ipad 4, so A6 may be good enough to power an pad mini retina.)

----------

Apple stockholders are probably hoping you're wrong and we get a retina iPad mini this year. No retina on the mini will be seen as a FAIL by the media and many MacRumors readers. Wall St. will respond accordingly. Something other than a lackluster iPhone 5S update would also be appreciated.

stockholder respond to revenue, gross margin, and earning. An Ipad mini retina will certainly increase revenue, but it is not at all clear how it will impact gross margin and earning (what is the price of the Ipad mini retina? How much it will cost to build it, service it, sell it? What is the gross margin etc. etc.). The screen can cost so much money that Apple may have a very low margin on Ipad mini retina like Ipad mini in 4Q.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
I got thicker due to the need for a dual LED lightbar design (as opposed to a single one), which made the screen thicker and required a more bulky battery to power twice the backlights. Screen tech has advanced sufficiently that this is no longer required, hence the rumors that the next full size iPad will adopt the Mini's design, including the thinness.

Technology moves forward, problems from the past don't necessarily apply equally to the future.

Like IGZO. What you do need to remember is that Apple didn't bother to reduce the thickness of the iPad 4, so I don't think it may have advanced as sufficiently as make it out to be. Or maybe they simply didn't have enough high yields of IGZO.

Anyway, I would be more than glad to be wrong about this. I'd love to see a retina mini this year.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
If iPad Mini 2 is:
Non retina => not buying one
Retina => not buying one
IGZO => definitely buying one!!

If the leaked case pics are anything to go by then I'd say it will be a Retina, as it will mean a larger case and battery. #

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I have a iPad Retina. I prefer the mini over it that my friend has.

Why? I never understand this. The iPad 4 is way more powerful, has a much better screen, and is much better for both reading and the web. The only advantage the mini would have is if it fit in a pocket. The Nexus 7 does (seems like it's sized intentionally for it), but the 8" iPad dosen't, so what's the point?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.