Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
That does say Version 6, but I know I have 7 installed as well, and the web page that tests your plug-in says version 7, Don't worry Im confused too :)

Forget it, just forget it. I deleted Java, both the JRE and plugin. Problem fixed!

Actually, now that I think about it, these days, just getting rid of context of the problem has been my preferred solution for fixing problems.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
That Terminal command shows the version of the Java JRE you have, which is not the same thing as the web plugin. The web plugin is what was updated by Apple today.

http://javatester.org/version.html

Turn on Java in your browser and visit this page. It will show what Java plugin version your browser is running.

----------

Just got a popup notice that Oracle has released an update to Java 7 bringing it up to v15.

You are a star, it is crystal clear now, I have update the JRE which is now 1.0.7_15 and run the apple one from the app store.. Crossing fingers I should be all right..

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
People still use Java?

Better scan your floppy drives after the update too then. :D

OK, smartypants. Then you tell us what is an acceptable personal finance alternative to the Java based MoneyDance?
NOTE:
(a) Quicken is not acceptable given their utter lack of interest in ever updating the program.
(b) I am not interested in something that is basically a fancy checkbook balancer. I need it to be able to track a variety of account types, and to automatically download transactions from websites like Vanguard.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
I have java from Oracle installed. Why am I still getting this update? I thought apple has stopped producing java updates. Isn't that true? I'm really confused now. :confused::confused:

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Is there any definitive reason to choose java 6 vs 7?

I get that at one point 7 was vulnerable whereas 6 was not... But going forward, what is best? Are there apps requiring 7? Are there performance advantages? One of the reasons I could never get used to writting code in NetBeans is it was so freaking slow...

Anyway, I suspect there is no simple answer, but figure I'd ask.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.