Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I, for one, will use it quite a bit more meaning I'll be subjected to more ads meaning they'll make more money from me.

But it seems to me that this will kill a major incentive for people to upgrade from free to premium, and my understanding is they make 3x as much money from premium users vs. free users.

They'll have to find out how many fewer people will pay and how much more often free users will be subjected to ads to figure out whether this will increase their revenue or not.

Well they mainly sell music as their product. So they are starting with a request from the content providers to get the music even cheaper than they already get it. So the plan is get content for nearly free, give it away for nearly free, get lots of customers (because they have a great service that they are giving away for either free or very cheap), go to capital markets and show eyeballs and growth of service (plus growing revenue, even if no profit), get additional rounds of capital funding, pay upper management, go public and get even more funding, upper management sells stock and retires millionaires (or move on to new venture).

This basically isn't a real business, at least not with its give away content for free and hope that they don't have to pay for what they are giving away. But they don't have to be a real business, they just need to seem like one until they can go public and cash out. Or they can get bought out by other internet companies that have already gone public and don't really have revenue streams that justify their stock valuation.

Here is an article from last year:

Spotify — a top player in online music streaming, is about to close a round of financing that will set its value around $3 billion.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Spotify wants to raise more than $100 million in its latest deal. The $3 billion valuation at that mark would be a nice step up from last year’s financing, during which Spotify was valued at $1 billion — though it looks like it’s short of Spotify’s goal of being valued at more than $ billion. In light of the plunges in IPOs like Facebook (NASDAQ:FB), Zynga (NASDAQ:ZNGA) and Groupon (NASDAQ:GRPN), however, the enthusiasm for hot social deals is waning.

Spotify, founded in 2006, might generate as much as $900 million in revenues for this year. The company charges $10 per month for its service and has more than 15 million subscribers.

It’s unclear how much Spotify has to pay music labels for its content, but considering deals at other streaming services, the amount’s likely substantial, which means the company’s margins probably are tight.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Don't care. The sound quality from all of these streaming services (Pandora, Slacker, Songza, Spotify) pale in comparison to streaming from iTunes Match. Test it yourself. iTunes match sounds A LOT better!

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Don't care. The sound quality from all of these streaming services (Pandora, Slacker, Songza, Spotify) pale in comparison to streaming from iTunes Match. Test it yourself. iTunes match sounds A LOT better!

That doesn't make any technical sense.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

except not? Spotify is in 320kbps, iTunes Match 256 kbps

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I will never use Spotify since a facebook account is a requirement to get a Spotify account (i.e. I will never get a facebook account so no Spotify for me :D).

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Spotify offers a free radio version on the iPhone. It's not the on-demand version like on the desktop but it's similar to Pandora or Slacker.

Spotify hasn't required a Facebook login since mid 2012, stop freaking out.

Just looked at the sign up page and it allows you to sign up using an email address as well as connect via Facebook.

Edit: Damn. Beaten to it.

I've been using recently spotify without any facebook data. That step can be ignored during the registration..

Great to know! That must've changed recently, and I'm glad to see it.

I'm sure they'll be gutted to not have you and the other 3 people on Earth who think are too cool for Facebook

No need to feed the Zuckerberg ad machine, not any more than I'd care to feed the Schmidt/Page/Brin ad machine. Especially when there is no value add to me. Feel free to give them detailed logs of your activity if you want, but I'd rather opt out thankyouverymuch.

jklps

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2007

iTunes Match does not allow you to listen you don't own.

Spotify does, and I use it to check out new music.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Would be nice, I don't mind hearing ads, I just don't want to pay $10/month like I am now and rarely use it while traveling.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Spotify offers a free radio version on the iPhone. It's not the on-demand version like on the desktop but it's similar to Pandora or Slacker.

I found that Spotify's free radio is way better than Pandora and Slacker. I still hate their mobile interfaces, which is why I stick with Rdio. Silly, perhaps, but it matters to me.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
except not? Spotify is in 320kbps for Premium Subscribers and 160kbps for everyone else, iTunes Match 256 kbps

Fixed it for ya. I don't subscribe to Spotify. If I ever get a free trial I'll compare it to iTunes Match.

----------

iTunes Match does not allow you to listen you don't own.

Spotify does, and I use it to check out new music.

I know all the pros and cons. I have used all of the services I mentioned! I find new music using those services, especially Songza. But I end up getting it in iTunes because of the higher quality!

Also I use the integration with Siri A LOT!!

jklps

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2007
[/COLOR]

I know all the pros and cons. I have used all of the services I mentioned! I find new music using those services, especially Songza. But I end up getting it in iTunes because of the higher quality!

Also I use the integration with Siri A LOT!![/QUOTE]

Well to me $10 a month to continually check out new music is worth it - buying everything I try out would bankrupt me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.