Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
So are you getting on average 4-5 hrs screen on with different activities (music/browsing/minor maps usage/reading/some gaming etc) without turning off stuff on your nexus 4?

If you do, I think I'll pull the trigger on the N4 as my iPhone companion. Might even switch the iPhone with an ipad mini if the nexus performs that good.

I have only been on 4.2.2 for a few days....havent done a ton of testing and I'm also looking at some different battery manager apps. I used JuiceDefender and these were my results with my normal usage - not a ton of stuff.....some gaming, calling and messaging in there as well as browsing. I do turn wifi on and off when I'm at home versus at work and the GPS is generally always off - but that's what I'm testing these battery apps for.

Currently, I'm trying out Snapdragon Battery Guru - it supposed to learn my usage pattern and automatically manage these things to maximize battery life. We'll see how it goes!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-18-22-52-16.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-18-22-52-16.png
    168.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_2013-02-18-22-52-23.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-18-22-52-23.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 59

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
I have only been on 4.2.2 for a few days....havent done a ton of testing and I'm also looking at some different battery manager apps. I used JuiceDefender and these were my results with my normal usage - not a ton of stuff.....some gaming, calling and messaging in there as well as browsing. I do turn wifi on and off when I'm at home versus at work and the GPS is generally always off - but that's what I'm testing these battery apps for.

Currently, I'm trying out Snapdragon Battery Guru - it supposed to learn my usage pattern and automatically manage these things to maximize battery life. We'll see how it goes!

Hmm that's not too bad if charged nightly I guess...

I thought Juice defender actually degrades battery life instead of enhancing it?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Hmm that's not too bad if charged nightly I guess...

I thought Juice defender actually degrades battery life instead of enhancing it?

Heh I'm new to Android so I have no idea - the app told me I was getting, on average about 1.4x the battery life I would have gotten (so about a 40% increase) but it could've been lying.

The Snapdragon app seems legit - and its free, so no harm done if it doesn't work!

I do charge nightly - always have....my iPhone rarely gets under 70% so I'm having to just leave it off the charger - I'll charge it probably every other night.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

That is better than what I could get out of my iPhone 5.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Huh - my iP5 runs circles around that usage.....

This where I'm at right now with 51% battery left:

Yea, but is that usage in for the iphone 5 just screen time?

So you think your iphone 5 is way better in battery life? I did think mine was before the 6.1.1 update, but now I am not so sure

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Yea, but is that usage in for the iphone 5 just screen time?

Nah - that's all usage. Though generally speaking the iPhone doesn't let apps run rampant when the screen isn't on for extended periods of time....

For instance, I had a rogue message that was trying to send but kept getting stuck on my Nexus and it killed my battery because I had no idea it wasn't sending, but still trying all night....

The iPhone wouldn't do that.

So while iPhone's "usage" statistic includes everything, whereas the Nexus (Android) breaks it out, much of that usage statistic is when the screen was on.

Still, 5 more hours of standby, similar usage and almost 40% difference is pretty stark.....

But really it doesn't matter - like I said, all I need is for the phone to make it though the day with similar stats that I got with the N4 on 4.2.2. If it continues that or improves I'll keep being happy!

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Nah - that's all usage. Though generally speaking the iPhone doesn't let apps run rampant when the screen isn't on for extended periods of time....

For instance, I had a rogue message that was trying to send but kept getting stuck on my Nexus and it killed my battery because I had no idea it wasn't sending, but still trying all night....

So while iPhone's "usage" statistic includes everything, whereas the Nexus (Android) breaks it out, much of that usage statistic is when the screen was on.

Still, 5 more hours of standby, similar usage and almost 40% difference is pretty stark.....

But really it doesn't matter - like I said, all I need is for the phone to make it though the day with similar stats that I got with the N4 on 4.2.2. If it continues that or improves I'll keep being happy!

Yea no doubt. Is the nexus 4 your first android phone? Do you like it any more than the iphone?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Yea no doubt. Is the nexus 4 your first android phone? Do you like it any more than the iphone?

It is - I find value in both OSes, but I still prefer iOS's approach overall.

That being said, while I will keep upgrading to iPhones, I'll likely keep an Android phone on hand as well so long I can keep getting the cheap Nexus phones :D

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

That being said, while I will keep upgrading to iPhones, I'll likely keep an Android phone on hand as well so long I can keep getting the cheap Nexus phones :D

Yea I like both as well. I think Apple does some thing better than android and I think android does some things better than the Apple. I really like widgets that is the one thing I missed before I jailbroke my iphone, and it still is not as good as android. I just hope Apple will put some new looks to iOS 7.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

Best of both worlds, can't fault you for that. I am using a iPad mini in conjunction with my Nexus 4. Absolutely love them both. :)

This is just my preference, but at the moment I prefer Apple tablets and Android phones, the line is very narrow though, a new release either way may be enough to tip the scales.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Best of both worlds, can't fault you for that. I am using a iPad mini in conjunction with my Nexus 4. Absolutely love them both. :)

This is just my preference, but at the moment I prefer Apple tablets and Android phones, the line is very narrow though, a new release either way may be enough to tip the scales.

Ya - I still won't go near another Android tablet....the tablet-optimized apps killed me with my N7.

Loving my mini as well. Sold my iPad 4 thinking I'd just pick up the 5 when its redesigned so I had the bigger version as well, but I don't think I'll have any reason to. Retina mini + retina MBA w/ Haswell this Fall and I'll be a VERY happy camper :cool:

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Ya - I still won't go near another Android tablet....the tablet-optimized apps killed me with my N7.

Loving my mini as well. Sold my iPad 4 thinking I'd just pick up the 5 when its redesigned so I had the bigger version as well, but I don't think I'll have any reason to. Retina mini + retina MBA w/ Haswell this Fall and I'll be a VERY happy camper :cool:

That will be a stunning combination. I have had a mid 2010 MBP for a couple of years. Try as I might, I can't justify getting something newer. It's just too good. Damn it. :)

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Worked at Best Buy for 8 months - our MBPs were almost ALWAYS on sale (cheaper than Apple) by anywhere from $100 - $150....

Heck the rMBP's pricing just dropped....and much of the price increase versus the cMBP is attributable to the SSDs being used rather than HDs....SSD prices drop, so do the laptops.

They dont go onsale often here and once in a while you see $150 but not often but even so, it leaves them still more than the Ultrabooks. I do have a MBP and i like it but they are overpriced IMO though i didnt pay that much for it. I have friends that own a repair shop and bought it from them after someone sold it to them and all it needed was a $40 battery.

We're already pretty spoiled in the tech sector when the norm is for tech to get more advanced AND cheaper year after year. Sometimes, a new tech bumps the price up in the beginning - its the price you pay to be an early adopter.

Agree but you still wont see Apple prices drop much.

A touchscreen laptop is about as useful as a touchscreen desktop in my mind.....and a 16:9 tablet is awful to use in portrait mode. I wouldn't touch any of these new ultrabooks with a 10-ft. pole.....regardless of the fact they run Win 8....

I think they are quite useful and i like them. I dont have one yet but i will be getting a Touchscreen Ultrabook sometime this year.

Again - the size increase from 3.5" to 4" is an even bigger increase (relatively speaking) that the GS2 to GS3, and GS3 to GS4.....yet those are innovations? This notion that screen size is somehow some 'advanced feature' of the future is nonsense.

LOL, i hardly think so. I dont see how you can possibly come to that conclusion. I went from a 4" screen from the Galaxy Vibrant to my GS3 with its 4.8" screen. I guess you mean from the GS2 4.5" to the 4.8" but the GS2 came from a 4" screen. Dont see why your even trying to justify anything here. Apple is just years behind in that respect.
Newsflash - I don't want a 5" screen....3.5" was fine, heck 4" is fine. Using my Nexus, I'd probably be comfortable some between the 4" iPhone and 4.7" Nexus.....but 5" is too much.....

OK, to each their own but you did get a N4. IMO a 5" screen is too big as well because usually that means the overall size of the device will increase as well but the rumor of the GS4 is said the overall size to stay the same as the GS3. We'll see, i dont want a bigger phone than that one.

Point being a 7" Android tablet does NOT equal a 7.9" iPad....and like I've said - Apple's product lines are in development years before they are released....this whole reactionary thing is blown way out of proportion. Had and sold a Nexus 7....). .lack of tablet optimized apps killed it for me. As I say later - being the first to market something isn't necessarily the best thing....and I'd be willing to bet, a tremendous hit for Apple >>>> tremendous hit for Google....(The mini will likely far outsell the N7

Whats that got to do with anything? They still went smaller to compete with the other guys and trying to play off their Mini as being able to use it one handed, LOL. What a crock that is.
I have both devices and i use the N7 much more than the Mini but i like both. Im not worried about the apps, they will come around.

And of course the Mini will outsell the N7. Google doesnt market their Nexus line much. Ill never expect their Nexus lines to sell huge but the N4 has done much better than any of them prior and thats mostly from word of mouth and others having them to show people. Still they have only sold about 1.5 million.

I still haven't used NFC on my Nexus yet....no one to "beam" with and no pay stations around me to use Google Wallet. Wanting to buy some NFC tags, but there really isn't much purpose for me to - battery apps monitor what I'm using when and will shut things off and turn them on.....of course, I don't have to worry about that on my iPhone given the level of efficiency already built in.

I dont use NFC everyday but i use it often. The tags are great. You can program to do whatever you want ans stick them in places you are most often. Ive transfered songs and videos and it is fast. Some photos as well.

I dont use any battery apps. I dont feel a need for them but if you use tags, shutting things on and off is just amatter of holding your phone up to the tag and it is done that fast.
I'm sure NFC will be great once its more widespread. But why would Apple be concerned with adopting a young, likely far from primed technology when there really isn't much use for it in their largest market?
Why wouldnt they? MMS was a huge thing and they didnt let you have that for two years after the iPhone came out.Same with copy and paste so i cant agree with that argument.

How long has Google worked to emulate the fluidity and smoothness of iOS? Project Butter last year did a pretty solid job - my Nexus 4 is very smooth....but I still notice a difference between it and my iPhone 5. I'd only notice it when I use them one right after the other/side-by-side. But it's there. And how about this rumored "Project Battery"? Batteries twice the size of the iPhone's often can't hold a charge nearly as long. Sure, there's beefier specs in Android phones, but what does all that power actually provide to the typical user?

Its fine for me. I dont have two phones to switch back and forth. I pick one and stick with it so i dont sit there and do comaprisons all the time and care whether one is a second or two quicker or if my screen scrolls faster or has a hicup here and there.
The GS3 scrolls very smooth and that s all i care about. Im sure id feel the same way if i had a iPhone. I do not care about benchmarks either.

The idea of mobile OS philosophies and the paths/differences between iOS and Android are much more complicated that "iOS is for kids and sucks" or "Android is a laggy mess". BOTH have a clear audience and are marketed to the general public in different ways, and BOTH (despite what Fandroids want to believe) are wildly successful and viable.

Agree. It all depends on what you like and want. I like both phones but Android does more for what i want and it has the bigger screen.

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
That will be a stunning combination. I have had a mid 2010 MBP for a couple of years. Try as I might, I can't justify getting something newer. It's just too good. Damn it. :)

Hah - I sold macs all the time at Best Buy and would always tell people to "wait" on the MacBook Air.....it just isn't there yet.

With Haswell, the MBA will finally have arrived. I sold my MBP years ago when I got my first iPad and haven't looked back since.....but if the rumors of the 2013 MBA are true, I'll be looking into getting one for sure!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
They dont go onsale often here and once in a while you see $150 but not often but even so, it leaves them still more than the Ultrabooks. I do have a MBP and i like it but they are overpriced IMO though i didnt pay that much for it. I have friends that own a repair shop and bought it from them after someone sold it to them and all it needed was a $40 battery.

Agree but you still wont see Apple prices drop much.

I think they are quite useful and i like them. I dont have one yet but i will be getting a Touchscreen Ultrabook sometime this year.

LOL, i hardly think so. I dont see how you can possibly come to that conclusion. I find it ridiculous that you even suggest that.

OK, to each their own but you did get a N4. IMO a 5" screen is too big as well because usually that means the overall size of the device will increase as well but the rumor of the GS4 is said the overall size to stay the same as the GS3. We'll see, i dont want a bigger phone than that one.

Whats that got to do with anything? They still went smaller to compete with the other guys and trying to play off their Mini as being able to use it one handed, LOL. What a crock that is.
I have both devices and i use the N7 much more than the Mini but i like both. Im not worried about the apps, they will come around.

And of course the Mini will outsell the N7. Google doesnt market their Nexus line much. Ill never expect their Nexus lines to sell huge but the N4 has done much better than any of them prior and thats mostly from word of mouth and others having them to show people. Still they have only sold about 1.5 million.

So we've come to the conclusion that pricing is what it is with Apple products. You said you accept that so why was this mentioned in the first place?

The Galaxy S2 was a 4.3" screen.....the Galaxy S3 is a 4.7" screen.....the Galaxy S4 is rumored to be a 5" screen. Those are increases of 0.4" and 0.3".....both less than 0.5"....simple Google search and math. Also the iPhone made an aspect ratio change at the same time whereas the Galaxy has used the 16:9....therefore for the iPhone there could only be an increase upwards whereas on the Galaxy phones there were much smaller increase both in height and width.....just the nature of the aspect ratio change....really cant fault Apple.

Like I said - Droid Razr M is exactly the same size. This isn't something new and it has added at least some function with those apps that have taken advantage of the extra 0.5"....

Again - I'm all for the extra options of both the cheaper iPhone AND the larger iPhone - I just don't want the 4-ish" model to go away because for me (and fo you it seems) 4.7" is about as big as it should get.

Obviously, reducing the bezel and whatnot can help fix this....maybe we get into a situation where a 5" phone is only as big as a previous 4.5" phone....as it stand, that doesn't really exist.

I'm looking forward to the 2013 MBA - rumored with retina and Haswell - if that's the case, I'll be picking one up for sure. But this is really neither here nor there.....

I can use my mini one handed just fine....both in portrait and in landscape. Its light and thin enough for me to hold it in landscape by the bottom bezel and hold it in portrait by the sides. It's marketing....if you're going to take it that seriously you should re-examine Samsung's ads....there are exaggerations of features everywhere. That's what companies do....

And comparing NFC to copy-and-paste and MMS is a bit of stretch currently.....both c&p and MMS were widely used on various devices when the iPhone came out.....NFC is still in its infancy and not used much by the general public. I'm sure Apple is interested in it.....but there really is no benefit at this point other than to say "my phone has NFC".

I really have no idea where this conversation is going, so I'm going to go ahead and stop lol. I don't think there is anything to gained for either of us through this exchange.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Mine too, although I am starting to use my iPad less and less since I've gotten my Note II

As far as battery, I have every communication technology turned on (i.e. GPS, Wifi, BT, etc.) and have more than a day and a half of battery on a since charge, and consistent use for gaming and productivity. I want to run this one down before I post a pick, but right now, the batt is at 65% with 7 hours runtime.

Overall, I don't get days of use out of it like I do my iPad, but Android devices have long beaten that battery issue of yore.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Like I said - Droid Razr M is exactly the same size. This isn't something new and it has added at least some function with those apps that have taken advantage of the extra 0.5"....
The Droid Razr M also is a mid-range phone, not a high-end. That probably isn't the comparison to make. Though I personally consider the iPhone to be a mid-range device, technically it's supposed to be high-end, therefore it is best compared to other high-end smartphones.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
So we've come to the conclusion that pricing is what it is with Apple products. You said you accept that so why was this mentioned in the first place?

The Galaxy S2 was a 4.3" screen.....the Galaxy S3 is a 4.7" screen.....the Galaxy S4 is rumored to be a 5" screen. Those are increases of 0.4" and 0.3".....both less than 0.5"....simple Google search and math. Also the iPhone made an aspect ratio change at the same time whereas the Galaxy has used the 16:9....therefore for the iPhone there could only be an increase upwards whereas on the Galaxy phones there were much smaller increase both in height and width.....just the nature of the aspect ratio change....really cant fault Apple.

Again - I'm all for the extra options of both the cheaper iPhone AND the larger iPhone - I just don't want the 4-ish" model to go away because for me (and fo you it seems) 4.7" is about as big as it should get.

Obviously, reducing the bezel and whatnot can help fix this....maybe we get into a situation where a 5" phone is only as big as a previous 4.5" phone....as it stand, that doesn't really exist.

I'm looking forward to the 2013 MBA - rumored with retina and Haswell - if that's the case, I'll be picking one up for sure. But this is really neither here nor there.....

I can use my mini one handed just fine....both in portrait and in landscape. Its light and thin enough for me to hold it in landscape by the bottom bezel and hold it in portrait by the sides. It's marketing....if you're going to take it that seriously you should re-examine Samsung's ads....there are exaggerations of features everywhere. That's what companies do....

And comparing NFC to copy-and-paste and MMS is a bit of stretch currently.....both c&p and MMS were widely used on various devices when the iPhone came out.....NFC is still in its infancy and not used much by the general public. I'm sure Apple is interested in it.....but there really is no benefit at this point other than to say "my phone has NFC".

I really have no idea where this conversation is going, so I'm going to go ahead and stop lol. I don't think there is anything to gained for either of us through this exchange.

Actually i didnt say that. That was your quote that i forgot to quote but jus deleted altogether after i noticed it. I wont pay their prices. I can get them cheaper and the only reason ill buy them.
Look, they are an American company and i want them to do well but imo they stick it us with their prices while having them made in the same places the other guys do.

Agree we are getting nowhere but i just cant agree with some of the things you say that ive stated. And you must have gigantic hands to use that Mini one handed. Most people claim they cant use a 4.8" phone one handed though i can. But not the mini, not even close for me. I dont use the N7 one handed either.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
"woah, what are you doing there banana hands"

name that movie

Tony Robbins could probably use the full size iPad and a Nexus 10 one handed with those mitts.

Shallow Hal was actually filming right outside my building where I worked back then. Kept trying to catch Gwyneth's eye so she could take me away from all this but alas, here I am posting :)

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Heh I'm new to Android so I have no idea - the app told me I was getting, on average about 1.4x the battery life I would have gotten (so about a 40% increase) but it could've been lying.

The Snapdragon app seems legit - and its free, so no harm done if it doesn't work!

I do charge nightly - always have....my iPhone rarely gets under 70% so I'm having to just leave it off the charger - I'll charge it probably every other night.
I believe it should be ok without juice defender too. That app actually made my battery life worse on the gs3.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

The usage in the iOS battery screen can be largely misleading though. I had had times on the 4S where I went to bed and when I woke up, it showed a couple hours of "usage".

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Tony Robbins could probably use the full size iPad and a Nexus 10 one handed with those mitts.

Shallow Hal was actually filming right outside my building where I worked back then. Kept trying to catch Gwyneth's eye so she could take me away from all this but alas, here I am posting :)

even better than quoting the movie....the person who said it! :)

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Ok so I thought this article from giz fit my OP
http://m.gizmodo.com/5985284/apples-upgrade-dilemma

I know you guys all know that I would prefer to have Apple give customers a reason to upgrade, and I think it would be great way to improve to ipad and iphone lines. I really do think it would hurt apple more if they went to the "not supporting older devices" method. But on the other hand half the iphone owners could careless about IOS upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.