Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Not sure if a solution for this can be given on here but would be grateful if someone could explain this to me

I still do things the old way, buy my movies on DVD and then rip them into iTunes

Occasionally some fail (does 50%) and then claims it has finished

If I do a copy of the DVD (select all on DVD, copy, then paste somewhere) I can convert them fine

This is where my problem lies

If I do this on my Mac (Superdrive or USB DVD Drive) it givs me an error immediately and won't copy (access denied I think it is)

If I try the same copying on Windows it works as I expect

Is this something on my Mac that is not working correctly or do Macs have something built into them that stop you doing a copy of DVD's

A solution would be nice if it can be discussed, if not, an explanation of why it fails on the Mac and works in Windows would be great, want to not have to rely on Windows for this if I can

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Are you trying to copy the hole DVD (with the DVD extras) or just the movie off the DVD? Are you using Handbrake or the Handbrake Nightlies?

Thanks for the reply

It's handbrake I mainly use, I have also tried MacX DVD Ripper Pro and get the same results

An example of one I had issues with Last week was The Walking Dead, just bought the TV series so wanted to rip it into iTunes

Handbrake just got stuck trying to read the disc (had to force quit it)
DVD Ripper Pro would read it fine, but

I tried to Rip it with Ripper Pro, first episode worked no problem, second episode stopped at 20 mins (50%) and told me it had finished, tried with inbuilt drive and also external USB with same issues

I have seen this before and have copied the DVD, just as files
create a folder on my Mac
copy the VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS into this folder
run Handbrake and point at this folder (worked fine in the past)

However, when I try to copy I get an error of access denied and it doesn't copy (tried both drives also)

tried the same on a Windows machine, copied the 2 folders onto a USB drive, then copied this onto my Mac
then I ran Handbrake on it and it worked fine

It's as though something is blocking the Mac accessing the DVD files, not sure if OS X is seeing the disc as copy protected and then blocking it (on Lion if it helps)

Don't see this too often, but might have had half a dozen in the last 4 or 5 months with this problem

Trying to convert al my DVD's (new and old) to digital, so needing 2 computers to do it is frustrating

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I do have VLC installed

Just seems odd it's about 1 in 10 that have this issue

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
What I have noticed is the DVD encryption/protection is getting stronger and more complex. More and more DVD's come loaded with hundreds of bogus titles. Even the solid standards like mtr, dvd2one, ripit etc have a hard time with like you say 1 out of 10.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
UK
It's looking like encryption, but it only seems to be OS X blocking it, ignoring Handbrake etc for a second

If I create a new folder on my desktop
select the 2 folders on the DVD and try and copy them to this folder I get these 2 messages

If I go to a windows pc, create a new folder, and try to copy the 2 folders from the dvd into it, it works perfectly

Attachments

• 1st error.png
    1st error.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 2nd error.png
    2nd error.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 83

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Thanks for the last 2 suggestions

I will give these a try and see how it goes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.