Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Steve was an amazing salesman who completely bought into his product and provided a thoughtful yet rebellious face for Apple. For that he is due great respect.

Steve Jobs the man would not be welcome in my home.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
With all do respect, it was Steve Jobs that had this record, Apple just tagged along for the ride I am starting to realize. Post SJ we've gotten a bigger screen iphone (ooh how fancy), bad maps, boring iOS 6 upgrade, and etc.

Sorry, but I'm a little tired of the incessant 'cult of leadership' attitude some people have. Jobs was a brilliant visionary, but to suggest he could have done what he did without Apple and the equally brilliant engineers and marketers who work there is naive. The best leaders build great teams, provide resources for those teams, and then get out of the way (with guidance, of course).

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
People seem to forget some of the large stock drops that happened under Steve. For instance in 2008 the stock started the year at $198 and ended the year at $84. In 2012 the stock started at $399 and ended the year at $529.

One could argue the market overall is in a bubble right now and the Google's, Amazon's and Netflix's of the world will be feeling some of Apple's pain soon.

----------

With all do respect, it was Steve Jobs that had this record, Apple just tagged along for the ride I am starting to realize. Post SJ we've gotten a bigger screen iphone (ooh how fancy), bad maps, boring iOS 6 upgrade, and etc.

I can't wait for the Jonathan Ive book that's coming out. According to the author, who talked to a number of current and former employees, this idea of Jobs as a one man show, as the guy who dreamed up all this stuff in his head is BS.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
With all do respect, Steve Jobs was heavily involved in everything you found boring and in maintaining Scott Forstall who failed to push iOS to its full potential. I'm not into the Steve Jobs worship that paints Jobs as the one-man show that made everything. The best thing that Steve built was Apple and that was primarily done by weeding the garden and letting smart people innovate and get things done. Steve Jobs was hardly the sole innovator or strategist at Apple, but he knew how to let others execute using their own talents.

Sorry, but I'm a little tired of the incessant 'cult of leadership' attitude some people have. Jobs was a brilliant visionary, but to suggest he could have done what he did without Apple and the equally brilliant engineers and marketers who work there is naive. The best leaders build great teams, provide resources for those teams, and then get out of the way (with guidance, of course).

I can't wait for the Jonathan Ive book that's coming out. According to the author, who talked to a number of current and former employees, this idea of Jobs as a one man show, as the guy who dreamed up all this stuff in his head is BS.

Actually I am saying Apple needs SJ, and SJ needed Apple. Both did well together but not so well without each other. (though SJ had Pixar). I never meant to imply it was a "one man show."

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
I miss Steve Jobs - Apple hasn't been the same since, I mean Apple was never the perfect company when Steve Jobs was alive, however it was as close as you get get IMO.

It seems to have gone down hill a lot and become stale (they still make great products don't get me wrong) but nothing new has really happened since Steve Jobs (the closest thing was the rMBP but that was basically a MBP from iDevice tech)

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Steve was an amazing salesman who completely bought into his product and provided a thoughtful yet rebellious face for Apple. For that he is due great respect.

And I suspect that you would not be welcome in many, many more homes.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Not trying to pull away from the emotion of the story but does this guy not look like Michael Emerson (Ben from LOST, etc.)!?

Last edited:

cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
As far as I'm concerned, Apple died the day Steve did.

R.I.P. to both.

When they removed downvotes, I drastically cut my time reading posts. Your inane post is an example why. Now, instead of clicking to voice my displeasure, the only safe response I have is to close my browser window before I break my screen.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Al Gore has been on Apple's board for 10 years. He just brought 59,000 shares for $7.00 each! Membership has it's advantages!

Based on his outrageously hypocritical ways, that money will be spent to expand his already massive carbon footprint, to even greater proportions.

All the while he lip syncs his global warming speech over, and over, over.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I totally understand with the concern growth, but that is not a concern of velocity but acceleration.

No matter, it's a concern that enough institutional investors have that has depressed the stock in an otherwise bull market period. You can slice and dice the graphs anyway you like, but there is still a piece of the puzzle missing... where does Apple get new customers, not just regurgitate the same old ones. Of course the answer is, a new product. Until that happens, or Apple can prove it can reignite growth w/ existing products, AAPL is going to be flat.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
No matter, it's a concern that enough institutional investors have that has depressed the stock in an otherwise bull market period. You can slice and dice the graphs anyway you like, but there is still a piece of the puzzle missing... where does Apple get new customers, not just regurgitate the same old ones. Of course the answer is, a new product. Until that happens, or Apple can prove it can reignite growth w/ existing products, AAPL is going to be flat.

That's just it.... Every iPhone has outsold the previous model to the point where each iPhone to date has sold more than the cumulative total of all its predecessors. You can wave your hands all you want (and a whole lot of hand waving is scaring off some investors in addition to some institutional stock manipulation) but the fact of the matter is that Apple is gaining new customers at an incredible pace.

If you really believe that AAPL is going to be flat given its volatility in the last 12 or even 24 months then you have not been paying attention. In fact if you look at simple facts, and extremely conservative bearish projections on AAPL, if the stock price remained flat they could buy back the company in ten years.

Let's talk again in 6 to 9 months about "flat" and we can see how much you stand by your statement.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Apple cound NOT have done what it did without Steve Jobs - that's the bottom line.

That board of directors who fired Steve Jobs was more than anxious to have him back. The brilliant people at Apple had the company bankrupt and going belly up.

Steve Jobs created Apple and made it the most successful company in history.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Apple cound NOT have done what it did without Steve Jobs - that's the bottom line.

That board of directors who fired Steve Jobs was more than anxious to have him back. The brilliant people at Apple had the company bankrupt and going belly up.

Steve Jobs created Apple and made it the most successful company in history.

Fair enough, but I'm referring to the actual people on the ground who executed Jobs' vision every day until Apple became an industry-leading company, not the board of directors. I guess my point is that innovation doesn't happen from on-high in a vacuum.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
"The board is not there to define product specs," he said. "It's there as a sounding board. It's there as a resource. And ultimately, the board is there to hire and fire the CEO."

So far, these guys have never once fired or hired a CEO. Not in any real sense.

Steve ran the place like he owned it, and Tim was the heir apparent. Hell, he had been running the place for a long time already when Steve stepped down.

The board needs to take a long, hard look at whether Tim Cook is currently and in the future the best possible CEO in the world for Apple. Nothing like that has been done in a loooong time by the Apple BOD.

So I wonder: Is this guy trying to send a signal to Tim? Or has that signal already been sent, with this being the public announcement part? These guys are cagey. They choose their words and phrases carefully.

blybug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2003
Galveston, TX
With all do respect, Steve Jobs was heavily involved in everything you found boring and in maintaining Scott Forstall who failed to push iOS to its full potential. I'm not into the Steve Jobs worship that paints Jobs as the one-man show that made everything. The best thing that Steve built was Apple and that was primarily done by weeding the garden and letting smart people innovate and get things done. Steve Jobs was hardly the sole innovator or strategist at Apple, but he knew how to let others execute using their own talents.

When a comment begins "With all due respect," it's a pretty good bet some disrespect will follow.

When a comment begins "With all do respect," I stop reading it.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
As far as I'm concerned, Apple died the day Steve did.

As far as I'm concerned, Apple died on April 8, 1983, the day that John Sculley was made CEO. It has never been the same, especially in its current tentacled megacorporation format.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

Thank you for such a brilliantly brief view of the reality....

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Famous Last Words?

Whether you believe it or not doesn't matter. The point is, there is credible competition out there and so Apple's future is not assured. There is credible risk.

"There is no tablet market, there is only an iPad market."

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
People seem to forget some of the large stock drops that happened under Steve. For instance in 2008 the stock started the year at $198 and ended the year at $84. In 2012 the stock started at $399 and ended the year at $529.

Really?? The same could be said for every single publically traded company in the world that year.

Undervalued or overvalued. The value is what it is, more realistic IMO. It's not going to reach 1k unless we see a product of Jobesque proportions and so far no one is predicting such a product to appear very soon.

----------

Not from a business standpoint, but during the keynotes he seems to be trying really hard to channel him. :eek:

Oh god you can see the public speaking training wheels still on when he intonates his voice! Incredible.....! Magical....! :rolleyes:

Performing on the stage is an important part of conveying the message but with Steve you know it wasn't a message being fed by writers. When he spoke he owned it, and everyone tries to copy him, especially Tim.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Fair enough, but I'm referring to the actual people on the ground who executed Jobs' vision every day until Apple became an industry-leading company, not the board of directors. I guess my point is that innovation doesn't happen from on-high in a vacuum.
I see your point and I agree :)

There are brilliant people at Apple - I know a few.

And those are the ones who carry out the vision, innovate and toil to create wonderful products. I don't mean to slight them at all.

However the vision and drive came from Steve Jobs.

No board of directors EVER had a vision or led anything, with all due respect :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.