Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
A few things:
4. I'm still not a fan of how album art is displayed. I usually use the 'Songs' view, so it's disappointing seeing the album art relegated to a tiny little square at the top of the screen.
You can click on the tiny little square and it display the album art full size in a separate window. As far as I can see, that's the only way to see album art at any reasonable size bigger than a postage stamp.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
What holes are they?

I presume you don't use iTunes that much or you would have spotted them.

It starts when I start up iTunes and go into the iTunes Store. Every time it now makes my computer freeze for anything up to 5 minutes while the iTunes Stores loads. That never happened with previous versions. Then when you try to browse through the Store it's soooooo slow and laggy it's like wading through treacle. Pages take an age to load. Then you see something on the front page that you like and select it to get more details (say a TV Show). In the past when you load that page it would show that TV Series in the main window and on the left hand side it would show you all the other series available for that TV Show. That's gone now. So you click the name of the show at the top thinking it will load a page showing all the series but it doesn't it just shows the same page again so you have to go to the search bar in the top right and re-type the name of the show. Even then half the time it doesn't show you all the series available.

Searching is a nightmare. If you get the spelling even slightly wrong it doesn't find anything. That's just plain crap. When you eventually do a serach it comes back with lots of responses so you have to wade through each page. If you select something to see more details and then try clicking the back button it takes you all the way back to the start of the lists and you have to wade through all the freekin pages again. That is just bad design, bad coding, bad whatever.

I could go on and on about the other freekin problems with this pile of crap but I'm busy so I won't but anyone who uses iTunes 11 extensively will be able to tell you all the problems with it. And I haven't even mentioned all the useful features they removed with version 11 like coverflow, alerts, resizing artwork, etc, etc.

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
iTunes Match is now hiding tracks and not deleting them, which has always been the case.

----------

that doesnt work unfortunately. apple is being darn smart and still knows that its the same machine and gives me the same bs message. i even tried a "time jump" with time machine. they must have locked it deep within the machine or something.

It will only lock redownloads or Match.
You can still purchase and copy to then match.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" and you can leave your tv shows and movies wherever you want.

But then it doesn't sort files into organized folders. It would be a big improvement to be able to specify more than one media location, particularly to be able to have music and movies on different drives.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
Hope the large playlist fix helps. I've had back and forth emails with Apple and their engineers about this after I sent off an email about some iTunes 11 problems to Tim Cook.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
But then it doesn't sort files into organized folders. It would be a big improvement to be able to specify more than one media location, particularly to be able to have music and movies on different drives.
Just move the movies manually to a location of your choice. I doubt you have thousands of movies, thus organising movies into folders is not really necessary (and iTunes doesn't organise movies you buy from the iTunes store into folders either, they are all in a folder named 'Movies').

Then import the movies again but have the option to copy items into the library unchecked while doing so (or re-point iTunes if you will). If you only get music from CDs or from the iTunes store you can even leave that option unchecked permanently as they get stored in your library folder regardless.

In short, manage the storage location of your movies manually (which is feasible as most people tend to have much less movies than songs) and presto you have your movies in one location and the music in another.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA

As I posted earlier in this thread you can set this up. All you have to do is make an alias that links to your external drive.

Eg. Create an alias called Movies that links to a Movies folder on an external drive then move the alias into your iTunes Media folder and replace the default Movies folder with the alias. Then iTunes will still see the Movies folder and it will sort your files on your external drive.

Yes it should be a feature, but it's not hard to set up on your own at all.

Just move the movies manually to a location of your choice. I doubt you have thousands of movies, thus organising movies into folders is not really necessary (and iTunes doesn't organise movies you buy from the iTunes store into folders either, they are all in a folder named 'Movies').

Then import the movies again but have the option to copy items into the library unchecked while doing so (or re-point iTunes if you will). If you only get music from CDs or from the iTunes store you can even leave that option unchecked permanently as they get stored in your library folder regardless.

In short, manage the storage location of your movies manually (which is feasible as most people tend to have much less movies than songs) and presto you have your movies in one location and the music in another.

You don't need to do this... You can have all of your media sorted and managed by iTunes anywhere you want, hell you could probably have it automatically put it on a Google drive to make yourself like a ghetto itunes cloud for music you didn't purchase form the store or anything you want really.

Don't bring me another update without Coverflow. period.

Yeah I'd like to see that come back or at least some form of seeing cover art displayed that isn't that extra window.

Last edited:

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009

I know, it means you have to sort out your own file organisation which for me at least ends up being a mess!
I doubt Apple with ever give us this granularity of control though, they would rather we had nothing stored locally and streamed it all from their servers. They already do this with iTunes match for music, even if the file is stored on your computer in iTunes, you still can't get it onto an iOS device without downloading from them.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
iTunes Match is now hiding tracks and not deleting them, which has always been the case.

----------

It will only lock redownloads or Match.
You can still purchase and copy to then match.

nope i downloaded a song on my iPhone with my german apple id. after messing up a jb tweak i had to restore my phone but the song wasnt on my itunes yet so i wanted to redownload it on my mac. which actually worked BUT when i switch back to my US apple id (the one with iTunes match) and try to enable it. it tells me to wait 90 days which seems completely redic. why block something bc of my german id where i dont even have itunes match

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
It has always been like this and this is something I don't actually get - Apple TV or iPhone/iPad do manage to have the artwork available from the very first second. Given the limited recsources of iOS compared to OS X hardware this is not quite understadable.

It's most likely because those devices use flash storage, while most computers still use HDDs. When you first open itunes it has to read those pictures off whatever storage medium you are using, since Flash storage is going to load that many times faster you don't even notice the initial loading of the artwork because it happens so fast. Once you've opened iTunes and viewed the artwork once it's probably stored in Memory so it can then be accessed very quickly, so quick that you can't tell, just like on a mobile device.

Yes! Until I scroll all the way through all 4600 albums and let the artwork load then its fine. It is annoying that I have to do this now every time I restart iTunes to get the scrolling to run smoother.

As I stated above it's most likely like this because iTunes has to read that artwork off your hard drive when you first view the artwork and this can take time, but once it's been viewed it's stored in memory or paged to be quickly accessable.

I know, it means you have to sort out your own file organisation which for me at least ends up being a mess!

You can get iTunes to sort your files anywhere.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16878961/

I doubt Apple with ever give us this granularity of control though, they would rather we had nothing stored locally and streamed it all from their servers.

You actually have a lot more control over your computer then you probably think you do, although I can't comment on iTunes match because I don't have it.

Last edited:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003

I should have specifically mentioned TV shows, which are sorted by show and season. Not very practical for those.

As I posted earlier in this thread you can set this up. All you have to do is make an alias that links to your external drive.

Thanks. I'm not really a fan of symlinks but I'll check it out. I still think Apple should just include the feature.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
It's most likely because those devices use flash storage, while most computers still use HDDs. When you first open itunes it has to read those pictures off whatever storage medium you are using, since Flash storage is going to load that many times faster you don't even notice the initial loading of the artwork because it happens so fast. Once you've opened iTunes and viewed the artwork once it's probably stored in Memory so it can then be accessed very quickly, so quick that you can't tell, just like on a mobile device.

As I stated above it's most likely like this because iTunes has to read that artwork off your hard drive when you first view the artwork and this can take time, but once it's been viewed it's stored in memory or paged to be quickly accessable.

As I previously stated this did not happen before this update. I understand the concept of load times and and hard drives vs flash drives. This used to only happen when first updating iTunes, now it is happening everytime I restart iTunes or change views. This slow loading of artwork is new after this update. It seems iTunes is no longer storing artwork in a temp. folder.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
i want an option to store the music on my internal drive and tv shows on an external one. i work as a dj and i always must have my music with me, tv shows and movies however don't fit on my internal HDD. at the moment it's not possible to set a different location for music and other media. :(

i like that itunes organizes my files but please let me put the movie/tv show location to another one that my internal disk...

You can do that. Simply turn off iTunes organization. It will still organize CDs, etc. that you scan in, but NOT stuff you "add" in yourself. I keep MP3s separate from AAC and TV Shows and Movies in their own directories.

----------

;) For the lack of Coverflow alone, I've avoided iTunes 11 like the plague. Some obviously do not care about that, but with version 10.7 I've had little trouble with an external library—so perhaps another reason to avoid version 11 for now.

I also have refused to update my server due to the changes. I used CoverFlow for everything EXCEPT the main music list (I liked the LIST view sorted by album WITH artwork and I can get neither properly now. You can get the list but you get no artwork and cover flow is just gone).

I submitted feedback and told them what I thought and asked them why they couldn't offer those OPTIONS in the new version for those of us that want them (not hurting anyone) plus a few suggestions for the min-player, but I'm sure it all went straight to the bit-bucket. Apple doesn't give a crap what users WANT. They never have. I had some small hope that with Steve Jobs gone (he flat out said he didn't care what people wanted; he would do his vision instead) that things would change a bit, but I guess not.

The MOVIE view is particularly AWFUL. The art icons are just WAY WAY TOO BIG and there is no option to resize them (just try to find a movie in that mode with 600+ movies in your library). Using a list view means you don't get to see ANY cover art associated with the movie and it just looks bland. What HORRIBLE choices. I can't believe the people at Apple are that BLIND. It doesn't give me much hope for the future of Apple. It really doesn't.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
You can do that. Simply turn off iTunes organization. It will still organize CDs, etc. that you scan in, but NOT stuff you "add" in yourself. I keep MP3s separate from AAC and TV Shows and Movies in their own directories.

----------

I also have refused to update my server due to the changes. I used CoverFlow for everything EXCEPT the main music list (I liked the LIST view sorted by album WITH artwork and I can get neither properly now. You can get the list but you get no artwork and cover flow is just gone).

I submitted feedback and told them what I thought and asked them why they couldn't offer those OPTIONS in the new version for those of us that want them (not hurting anyone) plus a few suggestions for the min-player, but I'm sure it all went straight to the bit-bucket. Apple doesn't give a crap what users WANT. They never have. I had some small hope that with Steve Jobs gone (he flat out said he didn't care what people wanted; he would do his vision instead) that things would change a bit, but I guess not.

The MOVIE view is particularly AWFUL. The art icons are just WAY WAY TOO BIG and there is no option to resize them (just try to find a movie in that mode with 600+ movies in your library). Using a list view means you don't get to see ANY cover art associated with the movie and it just looks bland. What HORRIBLE choices. I can't believe the people at Apple are that BLIND. It doesn't give me much hope for the future of Apple. It really doesn't.

Actually I agree and disagree with that, in the past (not that long ago past) Apple did care what I had to say and often my suggestions were implemented (could be a coincidence but I don't believe so) nowadays I believe it goes straight to the trash can. I really miss CoverFlow I find the new version far less appealing without it. The old iTunes wasn't slow on my rMBP anyway so it's made no difference apart from removing functionality for me (I don't use up next or any of the other crap added in this version) I really don't want to have to read songs to find them, especially when i'm tired after a long day at work! Coverflow was so much easier and it looks cool too!

Fabian90

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2013
Bonn, Germany

yeah but i want itunes to organize the music i add. i buy most of my music from beatport.com, i want itunes to move the files.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
1. and still NOT group albums by artist?? I have a great
disarray here! no separation by artist, and still not artwork on songs list! again what a disarray.

I feel like have ONE!!! big album with 100000 songs! the longest album in the history of the music... :mad:

2. better font! thanks!!!!!!

----------

Can't say I've really noticed a difference. The default artwork has changed though:

that is nice touch, I like that.

Last edited:

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
Will Apple ever hire a UI designer?

E.g., there are now two identical icons on the screen that have different actions associated with them

Also, Shuffle is still global setting, bring back being able to set it by playlist
- I want my 'Top...' shuffled, and
- Albums played linearly
- and remembered by the app

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
It has never been like this for me and I've been on iTunes since day 1. It has been like this as far as loading artwork on my iPad and Apple TV. Exactly the opposite of what you say. i can understand my iPad mini having a problem loading artwork (in remote app) for 4600 albums but a macbook pro with 8gb of ram should not all of the sudden after an update have problems rendering artwork on iTunes.

Well, I can't speak for the iPad as we still don't own one (ongoing discussions with my wife...). But as stated by various people before you have to browse the whole iTunes library once to initially load the album artwork after every restart. This is done in a couple of milliseconds, but it's noticeable. Once loaded, there's a smooth scrolling possible when browsing the artwork. If this is due to my large music library or my overall system performance compared to yours (Macbook Air, SSD drive) I cannot judge.

Totally agree with what you're saying - I just wonder that this is still noticeable when using SSD drives like in my case. I would have assumed to get the same effect like the iOS devices provide and that you described. But maybe this would be a good reason to upgrade in the near future :D

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Will Apple ever hire a UI designer?

E.g., there are now two identical icons on the screen that have different actions associated with them

Also, Shuffle is still global setting, bring back being able to set it by playlist
- I want my 'Top...' shuffled, and
- Albums played linearly
- and remembered by the app

What two icons do the same thing?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I could go on and on about the other freekin problems with this pile of crap but I'm busy so I won't but anyone who uses iTunes 11 extensively will be able to tell you all the problems with it. And I haven't even mentioned all the useful features they removed with version 11 like coverflow, alerts, resizing artwork, etc, etc.

I have sent about eight or so bug reports to Apple by now. I write software for a living. Some of these problems are bugs at the level where the developer writing the code should have noticed it. Most are at the level where any testing department that I've ever worked with would have spotted it. That's just the bugs; then there are things where the design is just stupid.

Well, I can't speak for the iPad as we still don't own one (ongoing discussions with my wife...). But as stated by various people before you have to browse the whole iTunes library once to initially load the album artwork after every restart. This is done in a couple of milliseconds, but it's noticeable. Once loaded, there's a smooth scrolling possible when browsing the artwork. If this is due to my large music library or my overall system performance compared to yours (Macbook Air, SSD drive) I cannot judge.

If you have a large library, iTunes obviously knows what is on your screen, and it should know what albums are just above and below your screen, and it would be very simple to load the artwork for those before it is needed.

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
What two icons do the same thing?
Two identical (rendering apart) Shuffle icons that DON'T do the same thing

A. If Shuffle off
1. In Playlist
- Stops current track immediately and jumps to 'random' track
2. In Mini player
- Continues playing current track and when its finished jumps to random track

B. If Shuffle on
1. In Playlist
- Stops playing current track immediately and jumps to 'random' track
- Leaves global shuffle setting unchanged
2. In Mini player
- Leaves current track playing
- Changes Global shuffle to off

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.