Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
And here I was just thinking of diving out the window ...

That may still be your best bet in the long run, bit I was thinking more along the lines of a short-term solution.

----------

Just use an iPad for browsing. :) that's what I do anyway.

I have difficulty with the old-school narrow-screen aspect ratio. It may be good for watching reruns of I Love Lucy, but for anything else, I much prefer the normal aspect ratio.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Just read a report that suggests even after apple knew developers were at risk they did nothing to contact iphonedevsdk of the problem (I know its not their job to fix this but you really couldn’t help them out?). This is just more evidence that Apple does not care about anyone but themselves. They defiantly don’t care about developers this is just another sign.

http://www.cultofmac.com/216711/app...-that-compromised-employee-macs-about-attack/

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Is there ever a reason to suspect user data was stolen? I mean, no one wants to admit user data was stolen, so I'm not sure any company has a reason to look for evidence. Why would they want to know?

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
If he gave his SS, he will want to lock(freeze) all this credit reports.]

I left the site as soon as I opened it and immediately realized what an idiot I had been -- actually, shut down and reset Safari -- so I'm only concerned about any possible drive by infection. Those those seem to be done by Java, so I'm not overly concerned ... but still I'd like to be sure. I forwarded the email to the NSA (not even sure that wen't through, which is strange...), and have been keeping an eye open for any news on what might have been up with that particular site. Haven't seen any yet.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Just read a report that suggests even after apple knew developers were at risk they did nothing to contact iphonedevsdk of the problem (I know its not their job to fix this but you really couldn’t help them out?). This is just more evidence that Apple does not care about anyone but themselves. They defiantly don’t care about developers this is just another sign.

http://www.cultofmac.com/216711/app...-that-compromised-employee-macs-about-attack/

cultofmac has no clue about Apple's dealings with developers.

First off developers shouldn't have to go to that website when Apple hosts a developer discussion site. Officially.

"It seems unconscionable that Apple wouldn’t contact the site administrators. iPhone Dev SDK is a portal and resource for the very developers who have made iOS great. To not warn the site administrators is to allow the developers who use the site to become compromised."

Had I been Apple I would have had the website shut down for breaking Apple's NDA for developers.

The only unconscionable act going on is the website knowingly hosting discussions about confidential information.

Furthermore I would have fired the Apple engineers that visited the site.

And for your information Apple is looking into bettering relationships for IOS developers.

If anybody ever visited the ADC discussions they would know that.

Apple has become way too loose about IOS seeding. Every script kiddie and their little brother has a copy of IOS dev seeds.

I do think that is all changing as we type.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
First off developers shouldn't have to go to that website when Apple hosts a developer discussion site. Officially.

You are correct on that developers shouldnt have to go to that site but the "official" site app hosts is worthless and contains little or no information. Apple does nothing to improve this and I have never seen an apple rep post in there so whats the point?

Had I been Apple I would have had the website shut down for breaking Apple's NDA for developers.

The only unconscionable act going on is the website knowingly hosting discussions about confidential information.

I guess you can go head and shutdown macrumors and stackoverflow too since they host discussion of the same type. as far as I know unless its unreleased beta under nda you can talk about it.

Furthermore I would have fired the Apple engineers that visited the site.

Again this relates to the first topic the "official" apple dev forums are a joke so they have to go somewhere to get information on developers.

And for your information Apple is looking into bettering relationships for IOS developers.

If anybody ever visited the ADC discussions they would know that.

This I really hope is true because right now we are treated like dirt. Maybe large companies like ea and zyanga get some interaction but everyone else gets nothing from apple in terms of communication or transparency.

Apple has become way too loose about IOS seeding. Every script kiddie and their little brother has a copy of IOS dev seeds.

Agree with you here yay!

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Apparently they used a JavaScript exploit to inject Java code. It's all a little unclear at the moment. Hopefully Facebook or (less likely) Apple will post a play-by-play going into exactly what happened at some point.

But then it's not a JavaScript "exploit", it's just JavaScript doing a run-of-the-mill call, it's still a problem with Java and not Javascript.
Saying that a Javascript exploit was used still doesn't cut it to me - but this is Apple and a HTML exploit was used for Macdefender malware right? So I guess anything is possible.

Just take note, my Apple computer now requires a password for absolutely anything, it's like windows was back in 2002. My Windows 8 computer now is basically password free. I think Apple is in the security defensive mode that Windows was in a long time ago, Windows has (maybe?) got security relatively down pat and doesn't require authentication multiple times just to move a file but Apple is doing anything to prevent it's flaws being exploited, that's my assessment of the security situation.

Update: Macdefender did use Javascript (but IIRC required the user to input admin password so it was "social engineering" rather than a flaw in Javascript). The updated version of MacDefender called MacGuard simply used the "download safe files" option in Safari to automatically download a file that elevated itself to Admin and installed the malware... hmmm

Links:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/226846/fake_macdefender_brings_malware_to_macs.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/228956/macdefender_malware_morphs_to_more_dangerous_variant.html

Last edited:

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
lmao. Does NOBODY understand cyber security?? To be safe we've changed passwords?? If the data was already compromised, which they are LYING if they claim it wasn't (or they simply don't know) changing the password isn't going to do anything...the damage is done.

----------

But then it's not a JavaScript "exploit", it's just JavaScript doing a run-of-the-mill call, it's still a problem with Java and not Javascript.
Saying that a Javascript exploit was used still doesn't cut it to me - but this is Apple and a HTML exploit was used for Macdefender malware right? So I guess anything is possible.

Just take note, my Apple computer now requires a password for absolutely anything, it's like windows was back in 2002. My Windows 8 computer now is basically password free. I think Apple is in the security defensive mode that Windows was in a long time ago, Windows has (maybe?) got security relatively down pat and doesn't require authentication multiple times just to move a file but Apple is doing anything to prevent it's flaws being exploited, that's my assessment of the security situation.

Update: Macdefender did use Javascript (but IIRC required the user to input admin password so it was "social engineering" rather than a flaw in Javascript). The updated version of MacDefender called MacGuard simply used the "download safe files" option in Safari to automatically download a file that elevated itself to Admin and installed the malware... hmmm

Links:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/226846/fake_macdefender_brings_malware_to_macs.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/228956/macdefender_malware_morphs_to_more_dangerous_variant.html

By default Windows 8 requires a password to do just about anything. You say your Mac requires it for absolutely everything? Give me a break. Really? So, to open Safari it needs your password? Get real.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
By default Windows 8 requires a password to do just about anything. You say your Mac requires it for absolutely everything? Give me a break. Really? So, to open Safari it needs your password? Get real.

Maybe he encrypted every file individually and decrypts them when he wants to use them? You know, he stores some decryptor software on another disk that decrypts the OS so he can boot, then he decrypts each app or document and re-encrypts it when he's done. When shutting down, it encrypts the OS. Take that, JavaScript attacks!

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
It is really unfortunate that you have to jump through so many hoops to have a safe browsing experience.
  1. Keep browser plug ins updated.
  2. Enable Firewall.
  3. Install Anti Virus
  4. Run Malware scans on downloaded files.
  5. Keep Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware updated.
  6. Develop complex passwords, multiple passwords to segment security breaches, and change them often.

This is what the old unix nerds were talking about when they said we shouldn't allow the internet to become commercial. (seriously, it was a hotly debated topic back in the days of Hypercard)

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011

Are you using OSX 10.8? I just tried to install flash on OSX, password required to start it off and then another password required to allow it to close Safari. Then for any app a password required to put it into the applications folder. Moving folders to the web publishing area requires a password for every single movement on server (I have multiple macs and a couple of mac servers at work).
And a password is required in OSX now to add a printer?!?
On Windows 8 an "are you sure" box comes up once with no password. I'm yet to put in a password for Win8 except to login or to change the login options.

----------

It is really unfortunate that you have to jump through so many hoops to have a safe browsing experience.
  1. Keep browser plug ins updated.
  2. Enable Firewall.
  3. Install Anti Virus
  4. Run Malware scans on downloaded files.
  5. Keep Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware updated.
  6. Develop complex passwords, multiple passwords to segment security breaches, and change them often.

This is what the old unix nerds were talking about when they said we shouldn't allow the internet to become commercial. (seriously, it was a hotly debated topic back in the days of Hypercard)

AAAAAAnnd turn off "open safe files after downloading" - After all that was how the macDefender successor automatically installed itself

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.