Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
I'm changing my prediction to WWDC 2013 for a really big announcement.

I doubt it. 1) the huge 10.9 usage spikes over the past month and a half and 2) Apple JUST announced the "yearly updates" last year. If Apple doesn't announce till June, it would result in a year and a half cycle.

If you are talking about some kind of drastic transition from OS X, I don't think Apples there yet. I give it at least 1 more year. Possibly 2-3. But I've been wrong before. :p

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Would brighten up my day if true. Best kept secret ever though.

Except for last year when they did the EXACT same thing and nobody saw it coming. At least this year we are expecting about the same thing...

I wonder if Jony Ive taking over responsibility for software design messed up their release schedule.

hmm... maybe... although I would think it would take ever longer, i.e. next year.

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
I wouldn't be surprised if they announced it at WWDC and released it in October, keeping that schedule thereafter. Since the updates to OS X and iOS are starting to become very similar, they might as well put them out at the same time.

However, this could cause problems as Apple would then be working to complete iOS and OS X at the same time, splitting the software team.

I reckon they'll release it when it's ready, they don't want to rush the first beta because first impressions stick, however much it changes between now and the GM.

I could be wrong.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
I'm changing my prediction to WWDC 2013 for a really big announcement.

I wonder if Jony Ive taking over responsibility for software design messed up their release schedule.

You know, I'm starting to think you guys just might be right.

If it's not announced today.... or not announced next week... then the most likely scenario appears to be that they will be waiting till WWDC. And then 10.9 will have a bit more of the Jony Ive secret sauce....

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Would it be possible that it has been released now to devs under an a strict NDA?

No. There would be a huge spike in usage and someone would have spilled the beans (unless it was to a very small select group of devs, but I don't see the incentive in that).

Now it certainly is possible that they have already released it to a small group of tech reviewer/reporters. That's what they did last year. That way, the day Apple dropped the Beta on their website there were a bunch of reviews posted online.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised if they announced it at WWDC and released it in October, keeping that schedule thereafter. Since the updates to OS X and iOS are starting to become very similar, they might as well put them out at the same time.

I agree. Last year, they put out a big update (10.8.2) to bring some iOS6 features (passbook, better messages integration, Facebook etc) to OS X.

They could just be pushing OS X back so it launches at the same time as iOS7 with comparable features in place day 1.

Plus, they can debut both at WWDC.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
I'm hoping some time in the next 2 weeks but at the same time wouldn't be at all surprised if it isn't announced before WWDC.

J. J.

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
I'm hoping some time in the next 2 weeks but at the same time wouldn't be at all surprised if it isn't announced before WWDC.

Look, this is the history of Mac OS X / OS X releases:

Mac OS X 10.1 Puma: July 18, 2001
Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar: May 6, 2002

Mac OS X 10.3 Panther: June 23, 2003
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger: May 4, 2004

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard: June 26, 2006
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: June 9, 2008

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: October 20, 2010
OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: February 16, 2012

As you can see, Apple releases a completely redesigned version of its products every two, except of the first. The same is for iPhones: 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5S?.

So, if I'm right, we can expect a completely new version of OS X. Now let's take a look to the announcement dates:
Lion was announced in June.
Mountain Lion was announced in February.
Lynx may be announced in June, and OS X 10.10 may be announced in the first half of the year.

I may be wrong, but what do you think about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.