Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arm1e

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Please help!

My sister has an iPhone 4 and a new baby boy. While making his bottle she dropped her phone into the water (upside down so no water got into the charging port) and since it has not worked. We have taken it apart and thoroughly dried it out but it will not switch on.

When connected to a pc the the computer detects that something is connected but the phone does not appear at all. The boot logo comes on (only when connected to computer, not charger) and it restarts continuously.

I know the phone is ruined but that is not my question. She has numerous, irreplaceable photos of her son, hours after birth and I want to be able to get the phone to connect to a computer long enough to get them off.

Is this a futile effort? Any help is much appreciated.

Oh, and she was on iOS 4 so no iCloud!:(

Last edited:

Arm1e

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I can't because, although the computer knows something is connected to it, it doesn't know it is an iPhone. Nothing recognises it.

trazanka

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
iPhone photo retrieval option

I can't because, although the computer knows something is connected to it, it doesn't know it is an iPhone. Nothing recognises it.

OK, clarification needed, how do you know the computer is seeing it? 2nd question, did you confirm ecamm does not work or are you assuming since iTunes does not recognize it, ecamm will not as well?

Arm1e

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
The computer chimes when I connect the phone but it does not appear in My Computer. No idea what ecamm is, I'm afraid. iTunes does not recognise it either.

:(

Sorry, yes I do. No I have not tried ecamm but did use ifunbox which I have used in the past.

Last edited:

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
I dont know what area you live in but it is definately worth taking it to a repair shop and have a professional make an attempt to repair the water damage. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt

Arm1e

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
New information.

Ok so when it's phone is plugged onto the mains it fully boots into emergency mode and asks for iTunes connection.

The problem is that when you unplug it it switches off instantly and in the pc won't even get this far. I have replaced the battery with a brand new one and retried, but same problem, although the pc no longer recognises that anything has attached to the USB. Perhaps a loooooooong charge is required. I will try again later.

Arm1e

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Ok, still not working but.....

With no battery in at all the phone still gets to the emergency calls only screen if plugged into the mains. It would seem that the power can start the phone but not reach the battery.

What should I try next :confused:

markfc

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
Ok, you can do this.

You need to put the phone in dfu mode then you can ssh into using cyber duck.

Google for ssh dfu and you'll find all the links you need

It works cause I've just done it for a friend :)

Arm1e

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Can't say as it is not jail broken, or does that not matter?

I have just replaced the charger unit and still won't boot for more than 8 seconds in pc and fully boots on mains! Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!!:mad:

Arm1e

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I have been able to get to recovery mode on pc!!! Can I access photos now? Phone is seen by iTunes but only to restore, wiping any photos or videos.

Arm1e

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
To try to get into dfu, so that I can try ifunbox, I have ordered a new power button loom as I think this may have been fried as power button is unresponsive. Fingers crossed

Arm1e

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Ok, i have now replaced the power button loom and the button works. Unfortunately I still can't get into dfu mode via USB. I still get to emergency calls screen via mains adapter. Battery still does not charge despite installing a.new connector.

What else can I try?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.