Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wbensky

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
California
iPhone 5 Durability

This is somewhat off-topic, but it seems like iPhone 5s are a lot more durable than most people think. If you want proof, check this guys Youtube channel out.:apple:

S

syd430

I took a LED flashlight and looked into the headphone jack and the SIM card slot and the water sensors are not pink...

Thats actually disturbing. Just think, the motherboard in my refurb iPhone 5 could have been dropped in the toilet in its previous life and could have still passed testing for re-use.

I also wonder how many iphones that fell in water and didnt have their sensors tripped are being put up for sale.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I agree but made mention of it as others in the thread made mention of Apple Care being of help.

I think they were referring to AppleCare+, which does covered accidental damage. It's only available in the USA (as far as I know), which sucks.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Not the dumbest thing I have read but close.
Dito.
iFixit said:
Completely disassemble your device removing all cables and opening all connectors. To displace any remaining liquid around or under any components of the logic board submerge it completely in a suitably sized container filled with isopropyl alcohol. Ideally use a 90% or higher concentration available from a pharmacist or drug store. You can use distilled or deionized water as an alternative cleaning fluid, although this will take longer to dry. Avoid solvents such as ketone, acetone, or naphtha.

Last edited:

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
You only quoted a small part of the "Generalized water damage guide"
Step 8 of that is is what has been recommended multiple times here.

If you are not confident about disassembling your device you can attempt drying it by burying it in a container of uncooked rice for several days. In some cases the rice will successfully draw out the remaining liquid. Change the orientation of the device occasionally in its rice bath to give the liquid every chance to drain. Avoid using salt, sugar, or flour. Disassembling and cleaning the device is always the best way to prevent corrosion, but if the device was not submerged this drying may in some cases be enough to prevent further damage.

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
Ahh the dreaded toilet fall! Make sure your device is off, and get ready for some dis-assembly. Its not as daunting as you may think, and with some patience you have a very high chance of saving your iPhone.

The best thing to do at this point is to dis-assemble your device completely. Purchase some 99.9% isopropyl alcohol, some silica gel (the little packets with the small balls that say do not eat), and start cleaning the internals. Water can corrode the internals of an iPhone to a point that it can fry the matherboard.

Once your device is dis-assembled, place the components inside of the silica gel for anywhere from 12-24 hours. Once you remove the components from the silica gel, clean all connection points, flex cables, and other areas with the 99.9% isopropyl alcohol. Make sure you don't leave behind any areas that look corroded. I like to use a small magnifying glass to thoroughly inspect the connection points, and make sure I didn't miss anything. After you clean everything, you can put your device back together, and see if you have successfully saved your device! We have a had a super high success rate with saving devices with this method.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Silica Gel is the ****. Use that. Much better

----------

Not the dumbest thing I have read but close.

You clearly don't understand 99.9% Isopropyl. I had my sister murder (or so we thought) a MacBook with milk. It turned off almost instantly after it fell on the computer and boy was there a lot, around 500ml. Took it apart, removed the HD and the disc drive, gave the lower case a bath in 99% isopropyl, put it back together. Perfect. Would not have survived without it.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
I read so many of these stories, why do people continue to get their iPhone out while they are having a slash, they last what? 15-30 seconds normally? You can live without your phone for THAT length of time surely?

Sometimes people like to look at some of their favorite photos and video clips while in the toilet area enjoying themselves and when they get a bit too excited and over-reach themselves that is when droppage can occur.

Apparently, I mean it's never happened to me.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Thats actually disturbing. Just think, the motherboard in my refurb iPhone 5 could have been dropped in the toilet in its previous life and could have still passed testing for re-use.

I also wonder how many iphones that fell in water and didnt have their sensors tripped are being put up for sale.

What I am thinking is that since i pulled the phone out literally within 1 second it fell in, the water didnt even have enough time to fill up in the phone ...AND i dried it off immediately after so hopefully I might of just saved it

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
I think they were referring to AppleCare+, which does covered accidental damage. It's only available in the USA (as far as I know), which sucks.
Ah! Copy that. I must be living in a dark cave as I haven't heard of it yet. 'Course until getting my new iphone, I haven't had Apple Care in eons since my others have expired. Thanks for the heads up. I am in the U.S. and will look into it for my new phone.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007

----------

You clearly don't understand 99.9% Isopropyl. I had my sister murder (or so we thought) a MacBook with milk. It turned off almost instantly after it fell on the computer and boy was there a lot, around 500ml. Took it apart, removed the HD and the disc drive, gave the lower case a bath in 99% isopropyl, put it back together. Perfect. Would not have survived without it.
Clearly :)
Big Macbook VS tiny phone with tools and skills needed. You did read the first sentence of Step 8 ?

Last edited:

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island

----------

70% (or something low like that) has saved many phones for me. The higher the better.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
How is 'dropping it into the toilet' not submerging it?

What I am thinking is that since i pulled the phone out literally within 1 second it fell in, the water didnt even have enough time to fill up in the phone ...AND i dried it off immediately after so hopefully I might of just saved it
This ^^ :)
The typical oh crap !! bionic man, ninja move, like hitting a spider 30 times in a second or two

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
And perhaps a dab of antibacterial soap.

After all, it did fall in the same place you take a dump. Imagine how dirty it is!

Yep, maybe mix a dab of Palm Olive with the alcohol.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
And perhaps a dab of antibacterial soap.

After all, it did fall in the same place you take a dump. Imagine how dirty it is!

Yep, maybe mix a dab of Palm Olive with the alcohol.

I wasnt taking a **** or pissing, it fell in clean toilet water

And i dont know if i feel comfortable opening up my iPhone... I mean the water sensors on the i5 didnt even go off so im assuming that it didnt even have enough time to fill up with water

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.