Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Colors6

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2011
I have a 200 GB iTunes Library.

Of this 175 GB is Video/Apps and 25 GB is audio(20 GB Music, 5 GB Audiobook, podcasts)

I subscribed to iTunes match. The problem is iTunes match is informing me that it needs to upload about 5 GB of Music to the cloud.

I am pretty sure iTunes has most of the tracks already in its database that it is asking me to upload.

I have come to the conclusion that incorrect meta-tags are the culprit here.

I have 2 questions :-

1)Can someone recommend a software that will autocorrect my music tags(artist, album, track name, composer, genre, year, etc.)??

2) Some of the album art is missing, low-resolution. How do I ensure that the best resolution album art is uploaded to my iTunes match database & also subsequently replaced on my existing local copies on my desktop iTunes app?

Colors6

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2011
I was wondering why spend more money when I've already shelled out 25 bucks for iTunes Match? :p

Does iTunes Match correct the meta tag data to the Matched tracks?

I'm guessing it preserves the tags of the user.

If that is the case, is there a way where I can make it so that iTunes match replaces the user meta tags (artist, album, year, genre, etc.) with its own meta tags?

mkbwr

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
iTunes Match does not use Metadata to match your music. From what I can tell, it uses algorithms that detect the song to search for (for example from the waveform, bpm, track time etc). I know this because I tested wrongly tagged items which matched it correctly.

iTunes Match will use the meta data that YOU provide, and you will see the same meta data on all devices, including artwork.

A few other points to consider:

- ITM has a 25k song limit, so the size of your library in GB is irrelevant.
- When matches a song, it is available in the cloud in 256k AAC file, which can be downloaded on any other device.
- The original file on your Mac stays in iTunes, unless you delete it and re-download from the cloud (which is great if you had a lower bitrate mp3 to start with).
- If the song is not matched, then it will be uploaded to the cloud and available to download.
- Anything higher than 256k will be converted to 256 AAC. Unmatched songs cannot be re-matched. Ever.

Colors6

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2011
I actually prefer 128 Kbps since they take up less space.

I wish iTunes match provided a 128 kbps option for people who want to preserve space on their local device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.