Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
As a big sony fan, this looks very interesting.
The PS3 could pull of games like Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Last of US etc. with just 512 mb of RAM (256 for cpu and 256 for GPU). You cant even run a modern OS with that amount of memory. It just goes to show the optimization capabilities that these developers have. Can wait to see what they pull off with 8 gigs of RAM.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
iOS games have got to be the most popular mobile games or at least extremely popular. Hardware and software-wise, the Apple TV could do everything a Wii or Wii U could do, but it couldn't do what a 360 or PS3 could do.

The Wii/Wii U has Mario, Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Zelda, Metroid, and multiple classic franchises. I don't believe Angry Birds and Temple Run will ever prove to be viable replacements for them, and as always, even after duds with the GameCube and Wii U, they'll be fine.

bitcloudrzr

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2012
I wonder if I will be able to play my PS3 games on the new PS4..?

It won't be native, but the rumour is that they will stream the game to you. So let's say you put Uncharted 3 into your system or try to run Battlefield 3 from you PSN downloads, it would just stream the game through their cloud services. Another part of the rumour is that it's tied to PS+ or whatever that is going to become.

Interesting idea, even though there will be lag and other drawbacks., at least you will have your whole library to play on the new system.

exactly. This is why iOS is always smooth animations and android is jerky even on the latest and greatest hardware

There is suppose to be a co-processor they mentioned during the press conference that handles background tasks. Sounds like the OS won't impact the main hardware for games at all.

And yes, I'm replying to you above your post lol.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
As a big sony fan, this looks very interesting.
The PS3 could pull of games like Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Last of US etc. with just 512 mb of RAM (256 for cpu and 256 for GPU). You cant even run a modern OS with that amount of memory. It just goes to show the optimization capabilities that these developers have. Can wait to see what they pull off with 8 gigs of RAM.

exactly. This is why iOS is always smooth animations and android is jerky even on the latest and greatest hardware

morningsong

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2010
" While Sony announced some of the hardware specs for the new PS4, they didn't show the device and provided no details about pricing. "

And they held an event for this...why?

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
Has anyone been able to determine if it has a bluray drive? I assume it does, but with all the talk about cloud and streaming I'm starting to wonder.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
The Wii/Wii U has Mario, Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Zelda, Metroid, and multiple classic franchises. I don't believe Angry Birds and Temple Run will ever prove to be viable replacements for them, and as always, even after duds with the GameCube and Wii U, they'll be fine.

Today's kids don't care about classics. Believe it or not, a lot of people play Angry Birds and Temple Run. I don't like either of those games, but there are a lot of great iOS games and other games that could potentially run on an Apple TV. Also, the NGC versions of all those were the best except for Metroid! Well I've never played OoT, so I don't know about Zelda.

There's also emulators. Playing NES and N64 games on a hacked ATV would be awesome. I have a real N64, but I DESPISE the controllers. GoldenEye would be 4X more enjoyable on a system with good controllers and no lag.

Last edited:

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Finally Sony looking beyond just their own devices and proprietary crap!! Personally quite excited about the PS4 and next-box. Can't wait to see more.

Maybe because they finally realized they're not the king of electronics anymore. There are 400 million iOS devices in the wild, and probably as many or more Android devices - there are only ~75 million PS3s. SONY needs to play ball with the customer in order to succeed.

Still, they'll have their share of proprietary hardware. By the looks of it, the I/O headset port on their new controller is proprietary.
ps4-event_0096.JPG

While I am glad they went with x86 platform, the question of pricing remains. Some speculate that the PS4 will be as much as $999 for the top-ens SKU which would be just ridiculous in our day and age.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Has anyone been able to determine if it has a bluray drive? I assume it does, but with all the talk about cloud and streaming I'm starting to wonder.

Yes, it has a drive. As per the press release:

Main Processor
Single-chip custom processor
CPU : x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon™ based graphics engine

Memory
GDDR5 8GB

Hard Disk Drive
Built-in

Optical Drive
(read only)
BD 6xCAV
DVD 8xCAV

I/O
Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0), AUX

Communication
Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)

AV output
HDMI
Analog-AV out
Digital Output (optical)

Last edited:

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
Yes, it has a drive. As per the press release:

Main Processor
Single-chip custom processor
CPU : x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon™ based graphics engine

Memory
GDDR5 8GB

Hard Disk Drive
Built-in

Optical Drive
(read only)
BD 6xCAV
DVD 8xCAV

I/O
Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) ?AUX

Communication
Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)

AV output
HDMI
Analog-AV out
Digital Output (optical)

Sweet, thanks!

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal

Let me guess, you tried Android a couple of years ago and haven't seen the latest and greatest Android has to offer. And you're comparing that to current iOS...? :rolleyes:

If not, then you're either lying, trolling, or saw a messed up Android device.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I can already do this on my 360, and it looks much prettier

Your 360 doesn't have an 8 core x86 cpu and 8gb of gddr5 ram.

I wonder if they will support booting other OS's on this thing considering that its x86. Selling these as a hybrid pc/console would be a great opportunity especially for college students. I could see that as a huge selling point. This thing would have no problem running windows/linux.

Last edited:

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
uh, that's cool. not sure why it's front page news on an apple rumor site though (the iOS app tie-in is hardly earth shattering).

One day. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow. But one day, maybe soon, MacRumors can post a story without folks complaining about it being there.

Until that day....

furqan8421

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
No images, release date or pricing. Worst product announcement of 2013 so far? :rolleyes:

More information will be revealed at E3. This was more of an idea of what it's capable of. What difference would images of the actual system make anyway? There are images of the controller which is the only part that really matters when using it.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
PS3 games from the cloud only, you will not be able to put your physical game in and play.

Sony themselves have stated that there won't be PS3 game support out of the gate but that they'll be working on a way to emulate those.

I wonder if they will support booting other OS's on this thing considering that its x86...

Highly doubtful, considering that it's Sony.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Today's kids don't care about classics. Believe it or not, a lot of people play Angry Birds and Temple Run. I don't like either of those games, but there are a lot of great iOS games and other games that could potentially run on an Apple TV.

There's defintitely a market for cheap, disposable iOS games, but such is true with mediums like film and television, there will always be an audience for immersive experiences in video games.

iOS apps may outsell console games, but that's almost exclusively due to the price point. If Temple Run and Angry Birds were $50 for retail, they wouldn't ever be touched by casual gamers. On the other hand, with $50 price tags:

-New Super Mario Bros. Wii sold 27 million units worldwide
-Super Mario Galaxy sold 10 million units
-Super Mario Galaxy 2 sold 7 million units
-Zelda: The Twilight Princess sold 7 million units, and that game had a release on both the Wii and the Gamecube
-Mario Kart Wii sold 34 million units worldwide
-Smash Bros. sold 11.5 million units

There is definitely an audience out there for complete, immersive games. The blanket statement "kids today just don't care about..." doesn't hold water for 2 reason:

1) They do. The sales prove it.
2) Kids aren't the only gamers. Teenagers and older are more active gamers than kids are.

Also, the NGC versions of all those were the best except for Metroid!
The GameCube was a dud not because of the quality of games and gameplay (very great first party games), but because it had limited third party support, was a generation behind in terms of technology (it was the first Nintendo console that opted to use disks), and it simply didn't sell very well.

Well I've never played OoT, so I don't know about Zelda.

Get on that. It's easily one of the five best games ever.

There's also emulators. Playing NES and N64 games on a hacked ATV would be awesome. I have a real N64, but I DESPISE the controllers. GoldenEye would be 4X more enjoyable on a system with good controllers and no lag.

Except a hacked Apple TV is far from standard, and I don't particularly enjoy playing GTA and FPS's on an iPad, which is how I believe Apple would "fix" TVs and gaming.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Sony themselves have stated that there won't be PS3 game support out of the gate but that they'll be working on a way to emulate those.

Highly doubtful, considering that it's Sony.

They actually had linux supported for the ps3 for a while. Also considering how open sony has been with their recent android phones (even releasing kernel source with alpha builds) the possibility is definitely there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.