Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
I really didn't expect them to show the actual console today; they'll save that for E3.... at least we got to see the final version of the DS4.

:apple:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Announces PS4...fails to show actual PS4. Only Sony :rolleyes:

So people basically flew out to see a controller and some rendered trailers. Nice.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
I want to make a slap bet right now.

The font used for the PS4 logo at the presentation (same as the one for the PS3) will not be on the final console.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Announces PS4...fails to show actual PS4. Only Sony :rolleyes:

So people basically flew out to see a controller and some rendered trailers. Nice.

They didn't wanna show the lack of an optical disc drive... ;)

I was able to watch the last part of it - Bungie did a great job as usual. Heck, if Bungie made an RCA Studio II game, it'll be great.. :eek:

:D

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
You guys really expected to see the console, price and release date...come on. This "meeting" was just to introduce the PS4, E3 is where the meat is. I knew they were only go to show the controller which I think looks great.

I'm not to particular with all the facebook social stuff but the live broadcasting/allowing friends to help out and instant boot up is pretty awesome in my book.

I'm really hoping PS4 remote play really gets fleshed out for the vita because that would be my best friend.

That controller is a sexy bitch..

Bless

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I can't wait to see how sports games look on this thing. It's time for Madden to up their game, it's been lagging for years.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
That gameplay from the next Killzone game left me very disappointed, not so much in the style of the game which was meh and even trying to copy characters shapes from AC, but did you guys/gals see the helicopter rope, looked like crap. I expected that from my PS3 not from their next console.

The controller share button for me is useless. Was not impressed by camera neither.

I will have to see how Sony is going to be able to handle their network, ATM the store newest version is actually as slow as the day it came out even after revamped, maybe even longer.

Did any of you get the free $10 in PSN? I know I didn't :(

----------

I can't wait to see how sports games look on this thing. It's time for Madden to up their game, it's been lagging for years.

FIFA is always the game that has the newest thing (mechanics, AI, graphics, etc). You should change sports :p or do like me and get both :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It does, they posted a spec sheet. 6X Blu-Ray Drive (probably the same from the PS3).

PS3 is 2x ;)

But yeah, good news :)

So we didn't see the actual PlayStation 4 console on stage at Sony's press event tonight, but that doesn't mean we can't know what's inside it. A press release reveals that the PS4's PC-like configuration will include an 8-core 64-bit x86 "Jaguar" CPU built by AMD, with a Radeon GPU comprised of 18 "compute units" capable of cranking out 1.84 TFLOPS to process graphics and more. Its Blu-ray drive -- yes, it will still have one of those -- spins at a brisk 6X (8X for DVDs) and as mentioned on stage, it packs 8GB of unified GDDR5 RAM capable of 176GB/sec of bandwidth. 802.11n WiFi, USB 3.0, Bluetooth 2.1, HDMI, optical out and even a legacy analog AV out make up the inputs and outputs, although the potential amounts of storage are still unspecified.

Now If only it ran Linux :p. (Actually seriously this time at least it would make a decent computer)...

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
That gameplay from the next Killzone game left me very disappointed, not so much in the style of the game which was meh and even trying to copy characters shapes from AC, but did you guys/gals see the helicopter rope, looked like crap. I expected that from my PS3 not from their next console.

The controller share button for me is useless. Was not impressed by camera neither.

I will have to see how Sony is going to be able to handle their network, ATM the store newest version is actually as slow as the day it came out even after revamped, maybe even longer.

Honestly, I didn't see anything amazing, or next gen, graphics-wise from the trailers/gameplay they showed. It didn't look like anything different from what the PS3 can handle.

The controller is butt-ugly, and the share button is ridiculous.

The current PSN store is utter crap. It's the slowest, most useless interface I've seen in years. Also, the old store was much easier/faster to navigate than the new Pinterest-or-whatever-inspired design.

And no, unfortunately I didn't get the $10 either, even though I've had PS+ for years...

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

----------

FIFA is always the game that has the newest thing (mechanics, AI, graphics, etc). You should change sports :p or do like me and get both :)

I play NBA 2K as well. I just mentioned madden because its been dull for years.

Honestly, I didn't see anything amazing, or next gen, graphics-wise from the trailers/gameplay they showed. It didn't look like anything different from what the PS3 can handle.

The controller is butt-ugly, and the share button is ridiculous.

Not that surprising. It usually takes at least a couple of years into the life cycle of any new console before developers even begin to push its technology. Sometimes longer.

Though I'm unlikely to buy this (I'll wait for Valve's Steam Box, hopefully out later this year), I think the PS4's specs are quite impressive.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Well, no big surprises here:

- The PS4 exists (duh)
- The controller looks like the leaked photos (surprise!)
- People are working on games for it (no way, really?)
- Graphics look better than current gen (who would have thought?)
- It's integrating social aspects (didn't see that coming!)

:rolleyes:

So, uh, yeah. No info on physical media, release window, online services, what it even looks like (irrelevant for the gaming experience, but still), DRM, etc.

At least the controller is not a dealbreaker for me as of now. We'll see what they do with the Move light and touch pad, but it's still an old-fashioned video game controller at heart, so that works for me! :)

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK

- The PS4 exists (duh)

So, uh, yeah. No info on physical media, release window, online services, what it even looks like (irrelevant for the gaming experience, but still), DRM, etc.

At least the controller is not a dealbreaker for me as of now. We'll see what they do with the Move light and touch pad, but it's still an old-fashioned video game controller at heart, so that works for me! :)

Why does everybody keep saying no info on physical media? The press release clearly states a 6x BD drive (that also does 8x DVD), which means games will be getting normal retail releases and Sony are not going download only.

I'll say it again, as people seem to not be able to read.

The PlayStation 4 has a 6x BluRay drive. This means it will play films, but it's also a faster drive than the 2x one in the PS3, so loading times will be improved.

I thought the final design of the DualShock 4 was better than the leaked prototypes - less clunky and blocky, and the Move light on the back is significantly improved. The touchpad looks a bit inelegant, but oh well. At least it isn't trying to be ridiculous, like Nintendo's pad.

As for the design...who cares? It's what is under the hood that counts. It'll be a black box with some curves, ports and lights. I personally dislike the 360's design(s), but I have one anyway.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan

- The PS4 exists (duh)

Still has a BD drive, so physical is still there. Release window is Holiday 2013 - take a guess on mid December.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.