Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
Wow very innovative. More horse power and a share button. if Xbox can bring some new gaming concept that works to the market, they are pretty much dead.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
So what did they actually announce?

- They don't let us see it, apart from the controller.
- No release date.
- No Price.

At least when Apple announces something you get to see it, know the cost and a release date... and it's not 6 months in the future before we get them.

Renzatic

Suspended
The announcement of the PS4 — I seriously do not feel any excitement at all. None.
I'm pretty sure the PS4 will be the first PlayStation since 1995 that I wont buy.

I usually don't get excited about console releases until I start seeing all the games that'll be coming out for it.

But hell, I haven't even picked up a PS3 or Xbox360 yet. I still have an entire generation of games to catch up to. By the time I'm ready for the PS4, it'll probably be knocked down to 50 bucks, and have a kajillion games for it.

jackal123uk

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
England
Can't say I'm all that impressed with moving over to a PC architecture - good for developers but not necessarily for gamers. Makes it all too easy to port games over from similar platforms - lazy developers make for a poor gaming experience.

It wouldn't surprise me if more people aren't pushed in the direction of gaming PCs now a direct comparison of hardware can be drawn.

For example, the PS4 with no release date reportedly a has GPU consisting of 18 complete units capable of 1.84 TFLOPS and 8 GB of unified memory with a bandwidth of 176 GB/s.
The Sapphire HD 7970 Vapour-X (available last summer) has 32 complete units capable of 4.3 TFLOPS and 6 GB of dedicated memory with a bandwidth of 288 GB/s.

Given the lengthy life cycles of modern consoles any hardware choice soon becomes obsolete, but using off-the-shelf PC components makes it all the more obvious.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
Makes it all too easy to port games over from similar platforms - lazy developers make for a poor gaming experience.

Not necessarily. Releasing titles multiplatform is about the only way studios and publishers can guarantee they'll make the money back spent on developing the title. Games are so expensive to make these days, they want to reach as wide an audience as possible to lower the risks involved.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
While I am glad they went with x86 platform, the question of pricing remains. Some speculate that the PS4 will be as much as $999 for the top-ens SKU which would be just ridiculous in our day and age.

doubt that price, but I think they'll force people to buy the PS Plus subscriptions to get online now.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The new $1000 graphic card by Nvidia called the GTX Titan only has 6gb of GDDR5. You can expect the PS4 to be $399 though, that is the common thread for a while.

Amount of memory is one thing while actual GPU performance is quite another. Sony announced neither clock speed nor latency for that memory. However, they did announce the GPU processing power (~1.85 TFlops) which is equivalent to $200 GPUs such as GTX 660 or a Radeon HD 7850, and is nowhere near Titan's massive 4.5 TFlops.

Also, considering the fact that Sony won't have to pay for the entire GPU assembly, the cooler, heatsink, or the PCB, as well as the fact that they'll almost certainly get a bulk discount, I'd be surprised if they'll have to pay more than $100 apiece for those chips.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
I like the App second screen idea (not that I will ever buy a Playstation) - but they haven't actually showed anything which will make me want to buy it?

As interesting as a dual shock controller is, I would much rather know about the PS4 itself :p

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
The whining about "we didn't see it!" is pretty silly when you realise that it has a 99% chance of being a plastic, rectangular box.

bitcloudrzr

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2012
Amount of memory is one thing while actual GPU performance is quite another. Sony announced neither clock speed nor latency for that memory. However, they did announce the GPU processing power (~1.85 TFlops) which is equivalent to $200 GPUs such as GTX 660 or a Radeon HD 7850, and is nowhere near Titan's massive 4.5 TFlops.

Also, considering the fact that Sony won't have to pay for the entire GPU assembly, the cooler, heatsink, or the PCB, as well as the fact that they'll almost certainly get a bulk discount, I'd be surprised if they'll have to pay more than $100 apiece for those chips.

They are committing to a co-processor for OS tasks while games run so all the hardware is dedicated to games. The same thing happened last gen, but this time it's a much better situation. We started with Resistance and have Uncharted 3.

To be fair to the PS3, the hardware was pretty much the mid-range and optimization got them this far and the hardware still has life left.

jackal123uk

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
England
Not necessarily. Releasing titles multiplatform is about the only way studios and publishers can guarantee they'll make the money back spent on developing the title. Games are so expensive to make these days, they want to reach as wide an audience as possible to lower the risks involved.

I agree with you there and when games are originally developed as multi-platform good things can happen. But what I'm envisioning is a torrent of old games (PC games for example), previously not available on the playstation platform ported over to make a quick buck just because its now so much easier to do so.

In my opinion these games will not show the PS4 anywhere near its full potential any will be bad for the platform's image.

jackal123uk

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
England
The new $1000 graphic card by Nvidia called the GTX Titan only has 6gb of GDDR5.

The 8GB "unified" memory in the PS4 is shared between graphics and system, to say a given graphics card "only has 6 GB" is a bad comparison since this will be dedicated to the graphics, the system will possess more memory generally totalling much more than 8GB.

Renzatic

Suspended
In my opinion these games will not show the PS4 anywhere near its full potential any will be bad for the platform's image.

There'll be a few games that are made just to be a quick, low effort cash grab. There always have been, since the days of the Atari 2600 all the way up til now. But that doesn't mean all the games made for the PS4 will be.

Think of it like this. You're gonna have a number of studios trying to eek the most they can out of the hardware. They'll do something amazing, and probably sell millions. If another studio wants to keep up with that, they can't just churn out a quick, cheap port. They'll have to at least try to match what these other studios have done. If they want to sell some games, they won't have any other choice.

Long story short, you're gonna have a bunch of games that take full advantage of the PS4's hardware. x86 vs. some other architecture won't make a difference here. In fact, it might actually help developers make better games, since they'll all be familiar with it. There won't be any learning curve, any struggle for them to try and figure out the hardware so they can implement their new cool idea.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
So what did they actually announce?

- They don't let us see it, apart from the controller.
- No release date.
- No Price.

At least when Apple announces something you get to see it, know the cost and a release date... and it's not 6 months in the future before we get them.
1) It's probably still a prototype or they want to leave more for E3.
2) Why do people keep saying this? They said Holiday 2013, so expect it around Christmas time.
3) Again... E3... but it's safe to assume it will be a lot cheaper than PS3 was at launch, considering they are using PC parts... and the CPU/GPU are coming from AMD... which traditionally sells things cheaper than their competitors.

E3 is in June... they will reveal all there is to know about the console then. The CPU/GPU are also still in development... which is why they haven't given concrete details yet.

Monkeydude

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
Hamburg, Germany
Worst Announcement ever

My favorite quote (i paraphrase):"Until now you had your PS in the living room and when you left it, you had your other life. Now you can take everything with you"
......................and give up your real life?
Also good:" When your sitting in the living room playing and your kids come and bother - you can just take your PS Vita and continue in an other room"
Why didn't my parents do such a great parenting?????

er15

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2012
1) It's probably still a prototype or they want to leave more for E3.
2) Why do people keep saying this? They said Holiday 2013, so expect it around Christmas time.
3) Again... E3... but it's safe to assume it will be a lot cheaper than PS3 was at launch, considering they are using PC parts... and the CPU/GPU are coming from AMD... which traditionally sells things cheaper than their competitors.

E3 is in June... they will reveal all there is to know about the console then. The CPU/GPU are also still in development... which is why they haven't given concrete details yet.

Replied to that better than I could (Y)

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
That was the worst keynote ever in my in entire life. It was so boring and they kept saying "game-play" but not once showed actual game-play. Not to mention they didn't even showed what the console look like. Way to go Sony!

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
That was the worst keynote ever in my in entire life. It was so boring and they kept saying "game-play" but not once showed actual game-play. Not to mention they didn't even showed what the console look like. Way to go Sony!
They did show gameplay. Maybe you were accidentally watching a Mr. Clean commercial and thought it was the event.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
My favorite quote (i paraphrase):"Until now you had your PS in the living room and when you left it, you had your other life. Now you can take everything with you"
......................and give up your real life?
Also good:" When your sitting in the living room playing and your kids come and bother - you can just take your PS Vita and continue in an other room"
Why didn't my parents do such a great parenting?????
More like heavy paraphrasing.

So don't make a presentation!!!!!!
It was to create hype... which it did successfully. That's known as marketing. They didn't give out everything today so people would be talking about it all the way up until June when E3 begins. Microsoft and Sony will then reveal everything about both of their new consoles. Maybe Nintendo will have something worth a crap to say as well... like a new Mario! -barf-

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Don't try to advertise a product or build anticipation for one.

Overall, you missed the point of the entire presentation. In no way, shape, or form was it about a product launch.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Ho Hum

An Apple TV running two A7 chips would smoke this box.

Yes, yes, I know... there is no A7 chip yet, but rest assured its in the works, and base don Apple's graphics performance on the A series chips thus far, expect nothing short of amazing from the A7.

I still feel like there is never going to be an Apple TV "set" instead just incredible set top box that brings the best of all worlds (apps, games, video, music, etc.) to the big screen.

Just my two cents, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.