Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
It wasn't intended to be humorous, but laugh on if you feel the need to be a condescending prick. I was just offering a concept. You're allowed to say you don't like it without being a jerk.
I know it wasn't, but if you can't see the trolling nature of your post, that isn't my fault.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Why all the 360 comparisons?

The PS4 is a NextGen console... compare the PS4 to the new Xbox when its announced, not the old one. At least on specs... I don't get the purpose of making 360 comparison references at all.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
The PS4 is a NextGen console... compare the PS4 to the new Xbox when its announced, not the old one. At least on specs... I don't get the purpose of making 360 comparison references at all.
It can't really be compared to anything right now, really... seeing as the specs really haven't been announced. The unified chipset is also most likely unfinished, based on AMD's current roadmap:

8lHuFIP.png

MD's CTO Mark Papermaster just put up this slide that shows its HSA (Heterogeneous Systems Architecture) roadmap through 2014. This year we got Graphics Core Next, but next year we'll see a unified address space that both AMD CPUs and GPUs can access (today CPUs and GPUs mostly store separate copies of data in separate memory spaces). In 2014 AMD plans to deliver HSA compatible GPUs that allow for true heterogeneous computing where workloads will run, seamlessly, on both CPUs and GPUs in parallel. The latter is something we've been waiting on for years now but AMD seems committed to delivering it in a major way in just two years.

The PS4 will probably be AMD's first example of their new tech in action.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I know it wasn't, but if you can't see the trolling nature of your post, that isn't my fault.

Look at my post history on this board and then call me a troll. Not once EVER have I trolled anything here, and I've been here for years now. Shame on you for assuming that because I offered a Pro-Apple concept against the backdrop of a Sony conversation that somehow I'm a troll.

The very owners/editors of this site have made references, shared articles, and surmised otherwise about how the Apple TV could be morphed into a gaming platform long before my post ever came along. I'm in the camp that believes that Apple may open up Apps to the product at some point down the road, and thus the comparison I made is a fair one... hardly a fanboy moment, hardly a troll moment... just an observation from afar.

Last edited by a moderator:

harveyburger54

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
The Wii/Wii U has Mario, Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Zelda, Metroid, and multiple classic franchises. I don't believe Angry Birds and Temple Run will ever prove to be viable replacements for them, and as always, even after duds with the GameCube and Wii U, they'll be fine.

I'm sorry but you seem to have forgotten Pokemon!

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Look at my post history on this board and then call me a troll. Not once EVER have I trolled anything here, and I've been here for years now. Shame on you for assuming that because I offered a Pro-Apple concept against the backdrop of a Sony conversation that somehow I'm a troll.

The very owners/editors of this site have made references, shared articles, and surmised otherwise about how the Apple TV could be morphed into a gaming platform long before my post ever came along. I'm in the camp that believes that may open up Apps to the product at some point down the road, and thus the comparison I made is a fair one... hard a fanboy moment, hardly a troll moment... just an observation from afar.
I share your sentiments for the possible future potential of the Apple TV as a possible gaming machine. And I do agree the power of the Ax chips are starting to hold their own. I just don't think they're anywhere near being able to compete with gaming GPUs yet.

I can see you weren't trolling, the comment just seemed trollish at first glance.

I do apologize.

Last edited by a moderator:

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I share your sentiments for the possible future potential of the Apple TV as a possible gaming machine. And I do agree the power of the Ax chips are starting to hold their own. I just don't think they're anywhere near being able to compete with gaming GPUs yet.

I can see you weren't trolling, the comment just seemed trollish at first glance.

I do apologize.

Thanks for the apology... you're a bigger man than most.

I can see how it seemed over-positive on the A series chips, but look at the video specs Apple has been so proud of. "2x speed, 7x graphics power..." etc. They've been working hard to make sure each new A series packs a major punch... so my thought process was centered on the fact that it wouldn't take too much more to compete with today's consoles, if in fact that's the route they wish to go down.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
You know, I thought the Red and Blue games were a lot of fun, but I can't for the life of me figure out how they became an international phenomenon.
They were laced with cocaine.

Thanks for the apology... you're a bigger man than most.

I can see how it seemed over-positive on the A series chips, but look at the video specs Apple has been so proud of. "2x speed, 7x graphics power..." etc. They've been working hard to make sure each new A series packs a major punch... so my thought process was centered on the fact that it wouldn't take too much more to compete with today's consoles, if in fact that's the route they wish to go down.
I'm absolutely ecstatic if Apple continues on with these little A chips packing such a punch. The 2x jump from the 4S to the 5 is nothing short of astounding. It's nice having a mini laptop in my pocket wherever I go. I have high hopes.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
An Apple TV running two A7 chips would smoke this box.

Yes, yes, I know... there is no A7 chip yet, but rest assured its in the works, and base don Apple's graphics performance on the A series chips thus far, expect nothing short of amazing from the A7.

I still feel like there is never going to be an Apple TV "set" instead just incredible set top box that brings the best of all worlds (apps, games, video, music, etc.) to the big screen.

Just my two cents, though.

Um no. It most likely won't. The raw computing power of PowerVR GPU in the A6X barely breaks 40 GFlops whereas the PS4 one is 1840 GFlops. There are rumored next gen PowerVR reference GPUs which reach all the way to 350 GFlops, but even those aren't anywhere near what the PS4 is bound to offer.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Here's an interesting take on where the A7 may be headed, though it offers no commentary on graphics performance.

http://www.cultofmac.com/191388/app...-core-a6x-in-2013-64-bit-a7-in-time-for-2014/
These are exciting times. :D

Um no. It most likely won't. The raw computing power of PowerVR GPU in the A6X barely breaks 40 GFlops whereas the PS4 one is 1840 GFlops. There are rumored next gen PowerVR reference GPUs which reach all the way to 350 GFlops, but even those aren't anywhere near what the PS4 is bound to offer.
Yep:

"The Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) has been enhanced in a number of ways, principally to allow for easier use of the GPU for general purpose computing (GPGPU) such as physics simulation. The GPU contains a unified array of 18 compute units, which collectively generate 1.84 Teraflops of processing power that can freely be applied to graphics, simulation tasks, or some mixture of the two.

PS4 is equipped with 8 GB of unified system memory, easing game creation and increasing the richness of content achievable on the platform. GDDR5 is used for this memory, giving the system 176 GB/second of bandwidth and providing a further boost to graphics performance.

The end result for gamers is new games with rich, high-fidelity graphics and deeply immersive experiences that shatter expectations."

C

champ01

Worst console presentation EVER!!!! This is going to be a piece of cake for Microsoft.

Why would you let developers come on stage and share videos that everybody already saw???
Thats like inviting someone with a dagger on your birthday and let him stick it between your bones.

Game Over.

It was absolutely clear that the developers where not ready to show the goods. How could Sony be so blind?

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Worst console presentation EVER!!!! This is going to be a piece of cake for Microsoft.

Why would you come on stage and share videos that everybody already saw???
Thats like inviting someone with a dagger on your birthday and let him stick it between your bones.

Game Over.
That might be the worst presentation to you, but your analogy was worse. ;)

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
E3 is in June... they will reveal all there is to know about the console then. The CPU/GPU are also still in development... which is why they haven't given concrete details yet.

But still what was the point of a 2 hours presentation, it would be like Apple doing likewise for the new Mac Pro now and not releasing it until December!

I just think it was a waste of 2 hours for most egger customers.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
But still what was the point of a 2 hours presentation, it would be like Apple doing likewise for the new Mac Pro now and not releasing it until December!

To... create hype.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
ps4 will fail harder than ps3. im so disappointed with you sony. but we had good times during ps1 and ps2 era.

RIP PlayStation 1994-2013

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011

It was a 2 hour presentation to developers. This wasn't for the Apple-like shopper that waits in line for the next new device.

Frankly, it was an outstanding presentation that quite well laid out the overall goals and ambitions Sony has for this.

C

champ01

That might be the worst presentation to you, but your analogy was worse. ;)

Only a 12 year old would find this presentation worth it.
People that already lived thru Playstation 1,2 and 3 would agree that this presentation sucked worse then we expected it to be.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
ps4 will fail harder than ps3. im so disappointed with you sony. but we had good times during ps1 and ps2 era.

RIP PlayStation 1994-2013
8UFt5q0.gif

Only a 12 year old would find this presentation worth it.
People that already lived thru Playstation 1,2 and 3 would agree that this presentation sucked worse then we expected it to be.
I know it's hard to grasp the concept that there are people that have opinions outside of yours, but please try.

C

champ01

I know it's hard to grasp the concept that there are people that have opinions outside of yours, but please try.

Seriously. A console is about GAMES right?

Did we see the games we wanted to see?

Why do you think Naughty Dog wasn't there to present us something?
Why do you think there was no Final Fantasy, No MGS, No LBP, No Tekken, No GT, No Resident Evil etc. etc. All the games we hoped to see where not there!

I've been a Sony fan from day one but when the year came by Sony became worse and worse. PS3 only had a few good titles but was nothing compared to the games available on the PS1 and PS2. Seeing this PS4 presentation going into history as the most boring one of all times I don't see a great future ahead.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I don't care about the controller's touch screen. Just make it not have awkwardly-placed thumbsticks, bad triggers, and a bad shape. The XBOX 360 has way better controllers.
The PS3 controller is just fine. Your problem lies between the chair and the controller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.