Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janetboeing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
I resently lost my Iphone, or should I say someone lost their morals and stole my Iphone?

I phoned my provider for assistance, all they could do was block my sim card so that no calls can be made, the problem with these smart phones are that your whole life is on there and available to the person taking it. 5 days later, I still had no asistance from provider and I lost my IMEI number of the phone, so I am screwed, apparently they dont keep record of the phones they issue you and their IMEI number, so heaven knows why they write it down? Anyhow. This took me on a google mission, might I add that I am absolutely no techno wizard and can only do the basics!

With all the help from all the forums I was able to locate my IMEI number of my phone, I downloaded Track my Iphone from the app store, so hopefully the moralless dude will activate the phone and I can track it from there. If not I can no start with the process of black listing my phone so that the new owner can not acess anymore of my details. I am definately not going to bankroll someone else for a new IPhone! Yes I know, I should have had a passcode on it, but why should I suffer inconvenience when other people cant handle their urge to be greedy? This was the second IPhone that was stolen from my company. The first one we got back but some one already hacked it and added a new passcode hence the phone became un useable to us and it layed in the drawer, but with my googling I even sorted out that phone and it is as new as if it have never been used, totaly restored all I need to do is set it up as a new IPhone. And this brings me to my point that if I, a thecno disabled person can figure that out all in one night, then a moralless person can easily do the same. So no matter what you do, if your phone was 'lost', track the IMEI number and blacklist it! Maybe then people will stop steeling when they figure out that the phone is useless to them. Or maybe Apple can get a way for the user to track the phone without begging a service provider or the police which is only good for getting a case number for insurance purposes!

Good Luck and Happy Iphoning! I still believe that iPhone is the best phone and will always be an IPhone ambasador especialy since everything that I have done to try and salvage my situation, was done on iTunes!

----------

I forgot to ask, if any person knows of a beter way to track the phone, please let me know as I still would like the phone back, It is a matter of principle and I would like to look the person in the eye and tell them you lied to me about taking my phone, cause I know who took it but in South Africa the law is on the criminals side and they have more human rights than the victim!

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
While I agree in theory (got mugged for my 4), I don't see the benefits of this outweighing the potential negative effects of Apple and carriers becoming actively involved in blocking or tracking "stolen" phones. It sucks, but I wouldn't expect Sony to come to my rescue if someone stole my PS3 or Apple to do anything if my computer/phone was stolen.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
The phone is gone and cant be tracked down. Its unfortunate but such is life. You should have put a passcode on your phone, that is common sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.