Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zzamud

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Are there any other ways to text on iphone besides the iosmessaging?
One that doesnt require the people u text to download the app to beable to text with you? Looking for a stand alone messaging app

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Stand alone text messaging app?

Not unless you are jailbroken but iOS has the best texting app out of any OS anyway, especially due to iMessage.

iAAA

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
TextPlus works without jailbreaking and does not require the recipient to have the same app. It runs off of 3/4G and wifi. I used it when I was in the process of changing carriers and it gave me a vacant number to use, I'm not sure if it will give you the option to use your current number. My only complaints were that it had an either 150 or 200 max character count and if a message failed it would delete it and you'd have to type it again.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
There are some, but none of them will send using your own phone number. You'd have to make an account with that service and then your friends would get your text message from a phone number they don't recognize.

I'm not sure that's worth it. Do you have an extreme reason why you'd want to do that?

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Are there any other ways to text on iphone besides the iosmessaging?
One that doesnt require the people u text to download the app to beable to text with you? Looking for a stand alone messaging app

The Messages app sends normal texts to people without iPhones and automatically sends iMessages to people with iPhones.

People with iPhones don't need to download a special iMessages app to use it; it's part of the regular Messages app.

iMessage is not like BBM.

zzamud

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Verizon likes to post every message on their website and once a month i hear about it

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
You can use Google Voice for this. It sends regular SMS to the other person's phone, so they don't need an app (or even a smartphone). You can also set up your Google Voice number to forward voice calls to your phone's number or instead use the Talkatone app for VoIP calling.

zzamud

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Not for cheatn. For convos the wife dont need to know about like suprise partys and such

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
How many surprise parties do you have that you need to use a seperate app? Anyway use something like GoogleVoice which lets you send texts to other phone numbers and the other party doesn't know any better.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Not for cheatn. For convos the wife dont need to know about like suprise partys and such

I see, I thought you wanted to use it with your own #.

Then you should use google voice since it lets you use a real phone number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.