Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
A slap on strap? They were a kids toy 20 years ago, it was a crap idea then, it won't have improved

It'll soon loose it's ability to form a tight fit.

nope, new metals are available now that have much better shape memory, Nickle Titanium alloys like used in modern wires for braces (like for teeth) have excellent shape memory

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
And here is a rubberised protective case!!!

marijuana_leaf_wrist_band_big.jpg

Last edited:

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
maybe they'll use some of that funky bouncy metal they acquired rights to awhile back (liquimetal?)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
You wear it wrong, put it on the upper arn ... ;)

Are you kissing up to the owner of the site...or is it just a typo!!;):D

---------------

it'll probably be sold in the US only ... problem solved :p jk

Um...I haven't been to Germany for a while, but when I was there many of the folks were... how shall I say this...ah...not skinny.:rolleyes:

That said...you're right about the general shape of folks in the US!:eek:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
What happens if you have a small wrist. It says the overlapping portions would be disabled...so if you had a small wrist only a small portion of the strap would function as a display.

The only solution would be to gain a huge amount of weight so you would have a fatter wrist and therefore, a larger display area!!:p
:rolleyes:

You could put it on over your cuff. You could claim you do it to increase the display area, while secretly gloating that everybody in the office can see that you own one. You would need to be careful of the jealousy however. You know those haters!

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Like OMG I KNOW!

LMAO - those slap bracelets were all the rage back in the late 80's!

LOL, yeah like OMG those things were awesome! A lot of things from the 80s are coming back, why not a slap braclet with awesome technology inside? I like the idea because it would make it easy to take on/off and would also be unisex.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Although I like the idea of Google Glass, this form of wearable computing looks to be better founded on reality. I wonder how Google will pull off all those voice commands. Imagine a crowd with Google Glass. I'm not thinking about identifying the proper command, but the noise! This would instead be based on silent touches.

thewinelake

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2008
Can companies just patent whatever they think of or do they need the technology to back it up?
Yes, but it's not just "an idea" - it has to include details of how to do it.

So you couldn't just say "I'm patenting a time machine" without explaining the workings of the flux capacitor....

Mind you, these days, patents seem to be whatever the company with the most well-paid lawyers want it to be!

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
You could put it on over your cuff. You could claim you do it to increase the display area, while secretly gloating that everybody in the office can see that you own one. You would need to be careful of the jealousy however. You know those haters!

You could also look like a total dork if you're wearing a suit!:p

:D

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Starting to look intriguing. But will it work on New Year's Eve?

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
What happens if you have a small wrist. It says the overlapping portions would be disabled...so if you had a small wrist only a small portion of the strap would function as a display...

If you had small wrists it could maybe be worn in other areas, perhaps around your ankle or on your gentleman's sausage.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
It does happen ... even in the US!

it'll probably be sold in the US only ... problem solved :p jk

I inherited my mom's small wrists (if I use my thumb and longest finger to go around my wrist, my thumb overlaps my finger by a full joint) so I'm interested to see how they'll solve this problem if they do indeed make a watch/bracelet with this design. As I figure it, I would have a 2+" overlap if it were to be 9" long :(

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
What happens if you have a small wrist. It says the overlapping portions would be disabled...so if you had a small wrist only a small portion of the strap would function as a display.

The only solution would be to gain a huge amount of weight so you would have a fatter wrist and therefore, a larger display area!!:p
:rolleyes:

No, the other solution is that the device knows the degree of overlap and adjusts the UI display accordingly.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
And here is a rubberised protective case!!!

All Apple devices need protective cases because the cases that they come in are not adequate to protect the device from normal use. So yes, the iWatch will need its own case.

My guess is that the fully waterproof, dustproof and scratch proof OtterBox will be the most ostentatious, and therefore, the most popular.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
And it does what?

Oh, it's an electronic bangle. A kitsch novelty. While it might become popular, it's a sad direction for Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.