Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

World Citizen

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Brazil is kind of obsolete in my opinion... Cant swim to it, way to far. Never been there, nothing special to see there, and full of violence..

We already got these country's

WesFL

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2012
From: Tim Cook - $25 ITunes card for the inconvenience. Money goes back to Apple :D

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Apple said that it was unaware of the lawsuit, which was filed in federal civil court on February 6.

Not aware of a major lawsuit filed against them.
Not aware of (or not caring about) EU regulations.
More product leaks in the last year than you can shake a stick at (doubling down on secirity :rolleyes:)

Who the heck is running this ship?!??
Not impressed Tim. No sir.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
the US isn't the only country with sleezy lawyers willing to sue over anything. In the US I'd say this would be tossed out within seconds. In Brazil...?

I was with you, up until the "tossed out within seconds", I'm not so sure that's true.

If I were worried about planned obsolescence, there are a lot of more obvious cases I'd have chosen to complain/sue over than the iPad 3 -> 4 upgrade. That to me was quite a decent upgrade.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

Every device has planned obsolescence, if they didn't plan it to be that way then we would all still be using commodore 64s or playing pong and nothing would ever improve.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Sometimes I read stories like this and feel as if people are sitting there and coming up with ways to take Apple's money. In certain cases being too wealthy does hurt I guess :(

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
So, according to you, the Institute of Politics and Law Software (IBDI) has bad Karma now. I will be watching to see how they are destroyed by lawsuits.

I'm not up on that. How long have they been filing frivolous lawsuits?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Last time I checked, Apple is a company with only one goal: making money. Even if they planned on releasing a new iPad every day, there's no problem with that.

Why are so many people considering their last year iToys to be obsolete because a new one comes along. The day you purchased it, you were happy to pay for it, so nothing can change that 6 or 12 months later.

Okay, switching over to a new connector and a whole new ecosystem of accessories is annoying, but again, they can introduce a new connector on every model if they wanted to.

I don't generally find myself defending big corporations, but I have to go along with the above.

Nobody is putting a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to buy the latest and greatest...even if it come out every two months.

I'm all for consumer protection, but this is overprotection.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I think it's time for Apple to just pull their product line from Brazil... not happy with Apple products? Fine, dont' buy it.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
To a certain degree - its up to the consumer to educate his/herself.

I could walk into a store and pretty easily have known the difference between the 4th gen and 3rd gen. And while I keep up with all this and am well informed, its really not that difficult for even an average consumer to do if they simply took the time to read about a product before shelling out $400+ for it.....

How about, the pictures on the boxes are different? That's one that EVERYONE could see....

This lawsuit is the epitome of ridiculous.....almost as bad as the "fan" who is suing the San Antonio Spurs for resting players during that Miami-SA game a few moths back....

These crocks should get a life or simply disappear....they don't add anything to society.

blcamp

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Seriously... how DOES one "plan" obsolescence?

Come on, Brazil. Everything has a shelf life, including technology.

If you can sue Apple for having products that gradually lose their usefulness, then can you also sue dairy farms for milk that loses it's ability to nourish over time?

Someone (or several someones) down there been hanging out at the beach a bit too long...

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
You keep using that word...

Hey Brazil. Planned obsolescence. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Something does not become obsolete when something better comes out. It becomes obsolete when it is no longer useful, e.g. a printer for which you can no longer buy ink cartridges.

Last edited:

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
What a bunch of whiners! Apple supports its products far beyond most manufacturers. Most never provide upgrades or updates at all and Apple is very good about this. Technology changes and Apple innovates at a frantic pace. Get on board or get off and buy some yellow pads and pencils.

Death-T

macrumors regular
May 18, 2012
Savannah, Georgia
Brazilians must not be accustomed to the ridiculous tech industry that more developed countries have grown used to. It is pretty ridiculous that your brand new phone or tablet will be obsolete in less than a year, but what can ya do? You're either holding everyone back and waiting too long to come out with the next thing or you're planning obsolescence. I'm usually pretty critical of Apple's (and any big corporation's) antics but this is one suit that's pretty funny.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Seriously. They are being targeted just because they are Apple. New tech products come out all the time. Are they actually suggesting Apple should delay tech launches in their country?????? Completely ridiculous, ESPECIALLY for the nature of the industry.

I tend to agree with the article...partly because I am an iPad 3 owner.

The lawsuit refers to Apple historically releasing new updates every 12+ months. In this case, Apple released the iPad 3 in mid March and then updated it again in early November...thus instead of being on a 12-month cycle, it was released 4-5 months early.

Now, the iPad 4 itself isn't any different from the 3 in regards to main/usable features...it simply has a better CPU and GPU if I recall. But still, Apple angered a LOT of people who bought the 3 and then came out with the 4 so quickly. You also need to take into consideration that Apple, HISTORICALLY, has always waited 12+ months to update anything.

Take all this into consideration and you have annoyed people and then lawsuits.

I bought my 3 in March...but if I had bought it in July or later, I would have been extremely upset. The only way to buy the iPad 3 after the 4 was released, was to dig through the Apple website...it was NOT easy to locate. Apple has since made it a bit easier to find the 3.

Overall it was a shady move by Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.