Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
You don't even read the articles do you? Just iHate all the time.

The Institute of Politics and Law Software (IBDI) is the one who just filed the frivolous lawsuit against Apple.

I freely admitted that I didn't know about the IBDI. And for the record, I think the lawsuit is ridiculous. Let the consumer decide with their wallets if they feel it is planned obsolescence. And Apple has filed some trivial lawsuits themselves, hence the karma comment.

robcj

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2003
Not aware of a major lawsuit filed against them.
Not aware of (or not caring about) EU regulations.
More product leaks in the last year than you can shake a stick at (doubling down on secirity :rolleyes:)

Who the heck is running this ship?!??
Not impressed Tim. No sir.

I think you are overreacting.

I suspect Steve Jobs would have been less likely to have been aware of this lawsuit. This is the sort of mundane business detail that did not interest him. And to call this a major lawsuit is subjective.

I would hope this lawsuit doesn't progress very far as it would have very dangerous implications for business overall in Brazil, which is currently a country of growing significance in the global economy.

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
What's even funnier is what they want as compensation- A replacement AND 50% of the purchase price.

So you're the one that bought an "obsolete" product, for which Apple is at fault, not the store or yourself, and you deserve what amounts to a device and a half? Yeah, they might as well ask for a pony too.

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
I tend to agree with the article...partly because I am an iPad 3 owner.

The lawsuit refers to Apple historically releasing new updates every 12+ months. In this case, Apple released the iPad 3 in mid March and then updated it again in early November...thus instead of being on a 12-month cycle, it was released 4-5 months early.

Now, the iPad 4 itself isn't any different from the 3 in regards to main/usable features...it simply has a better CPU and GPU if I recall. But still, Apple angered a LOT of people who bought the 3 and then came out with the 4 so quickly. You also need to take into consideration that Apple, HISTORICALLY, has always waited 12+ months to update anything.

Take all this into consideration and you have annoyed people and then lawsuits.

I bought my 3 in March...but if I had bought it in July or later, I would have been extremely upset. The only way to buy the iPad 3 after the 4 was released, was to dig through the Apple website...it was NOT easy to locate. Apple has since made it a bit easier to find the 3.

Overall it was a shady move by Apple.

I don't get why you would be upset. The 3rd gen iPad does exactly what you bought it to do. This only matters if you get some sort of usefulness out of having the latest and greatest.

LAWandHOARDER

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
The only part of this article I agree with is the part about customers unknowingly buying the 3rd generation after the 4th generation was released.

There was no way for the average customer to distinguish between them and here in Ireland I thought it was really bad to walk into a store and see the 3rd generation still on sale at Christmas with the same price tag as the 4th generation.

I'm in the US and just bought a 4th generation iPad two weeks ago. They still had 3rd generations in stock at the store for the same price. I know what I am looking for but still had to double check and make sure I got the one I wanted.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Apple should just stop selling in Brazil. They keep messing with apple, while apple may still be turning a profit, they have to continuously fight lawsuits.

Pull out and don't play with Brazil until they stop some of this crap. Who needs whom more?

woodbine

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
Bath, UK
Hasn't brazil got better things to do?

OMG just don't get me started on this one! having just come back from a six week holiday in Goiania, Goias, I'd say Brazil should focus totally on it's own problems....things like infrastructure, street crime, pollution, corruption to name just a few.

All pavement appears to be the responsibility of the property owner that abuts it, so you can have the bizarre situation where a pavement will go from hard surface to soft earth and back to hard surface. Pavements in the city centre that are a huge hazard to all people, potholes, loose paving slabs etc.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
OMG just don't get me started on this one! having just come back from a six week holiday in Goiania, Goias, I'd say Brazil should focus totally on it's own problems....things like infrastructure, street crime, pollution, corruption to name just a few.

All pavement appears to be the responsibility of the property owner that abuts it, so you can have the bizarre situation where a pavement will go from hard surface to soft earth and back to hard surface. Pavements in the city centre that are a huge hazard to all people, potholes, loose paving slabs etc.

That's where my wife is from.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I'm going to sue the government and all businesses that polute that the air I'm breathing today is not as clean as it was when I was born. My health has been compromised and my life shortened. I want a new life and a half back.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I tend to agree with the article...partly because I am an iPad 3 owner.

The lawsuit refers to Apple historically releasing new updates every 12+ months. In this case, Apple released the iPad 3 in mid March and then updated it again in early November...thus instead of being on a 12-month cycle, it was released 4-5 months early.

Now, the iPad 4 itself isn't any different from the 3 in regards to main/usable features...it simply has a better CPU and GPU if I recall. But still, Apple angered a LOT of people who bought the 3 and then came out with the 4 so quickly. You also need to take into consideration that Apple, HISTORICALLY, has always waited 12+ months to update anything.

Take all this into consideration and you have annoyed people and then lawsuits.

I bought my 3 in March...but if I had bought it in July or later, I would have been extremely upset. The only way to buy the iPad 3 after the 4 was released, was to dig through the Apple website...it was NOT easy to locate. Apple has since made it a bit easier to find the 3.

Overall it was a shady move by Apple.

When the new technology is ready, it is ready. What do you expect Apple to do? When the new CPU is pretty much just as cheap as the old one, why the heck shouldn't they drop the new CPU in and sell a new device? Also the new connector is at least as much of a hassle as it is an advantage right now. I've got the iPad three and a lot more of the old connectors than the new connector. So that is a wash. I've also got the retina screen and LTE connection. That was the huge upgrade in the iPad world, not the marginally faster CPU. The bureaucrats bringing this lawsuit are clueless.

Stupid law suit and stupid for consumers to complain about processors getting improved. That happens. And we, as consumers, want it to happen as fast as the engineers can figure stuff out. How about the folks who bought an iPad 4? You are basically saying you wish all those folks were stuck with the iPad 3's processor, even after Apple had the tech to make the better CPU and sell it at the same price. All this so iPad 3 owners can feel better. That seems insanely selfish to me.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
lol cant blame them for trying. better than us germans who bitch yet no one bothers to do anything about certain things. gema ... gez ... sigh

So have you been enjoying those Russian meteorite videos? Oh sorry, there was apparently a faint echo of a song in most of them, and they have all been **** down in Germany.

Start work on fixing that hot mess 1st.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I can understand why people are upset. I think it's a frivolous lawsuit.

That being said - the one plus to iPad3 owners over iPad4 is that they didn't lose compatibility with all accessories made for the old connector. For that reason alone they should shut up ;)

nexx27

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
I don't generally find myself defending big corporations, but I have to go along with the above.

Nobody is putting a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to buy the latest and greatest...even if it come out every two months.

I'm all for consumer protection, but this is overprotection.

I disagree. You go to Apple website, you watch the presentation from Apple telling you how better the new ipad is, then you go to the mall and buy the iPad. You go home, open the box just to discover that you bought an older version. How frustrating is that?

I think, they should replace people's ipad 3 for the most recent iPad if people alleges they didn't know it was the older one.

C'mon Apple respect brazilians and don't try to sell "old" **** down here.

Just to let you guys know, an IPAD here *STARTS* at 889.17 USD *AND Brazilian government conceded lots of incentives to Apple to let them manage to build a factory down here. Government were expecting lower prices.

See for yourself go to http://store.apple.com/br/browse/home/shop_ipad
Then go to google and convert from BRL TO USD.

That's ridiculous.

Last edited:

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Bottom Line

When you have a huge pile of money....it attracts a lot of sharks (e.g. Einhorn, Brazil, etc.). Everyone wants a bite of the Apple (cash).

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Brazil can't be upset but if I recall correctly there were a lot of upset US iPad 3 owners on this site. Oh the irony...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.