Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
I have a MacBook Air - 2011 model - with time machine back ups and it runs great. I am considering giving my MBA to my wife and purchasing a MacBook Pro Retina 13". What is the best way to get my new MacBook Pro Retina loaded with all the software and data I have on my current MBA? Can I restore the time machine back up onto the MacBook Pro Retina machine and be done with it? Are there any problems I should anticipate?

MathiasMM

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
I have a MacBook Air - 2011 model - with time machine back ups and it runs great. I am considering giving my MBA to my wife and purchasing a MacBook Pro Retina 13". What is the best way to get my new MacBook Pro Retina loaded with all the software and data I have on my current MBA? Can I restore the time machine back up onto the MacBook Pro Retina machine and be done with it? Are there any problems I should anticipate?

Your TM backups should bring the new machine into the exact state the old one had at the time of the backup. If there is the same amount of space or more in the new machine I would not expect any problems :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just use the Migration Assistant at the end of the setup process to import your account ,apps and data from the Time Machine backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.