Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Every device has planned obsolescence, if they didn't plan it to be that way then we would all still be using commodore 64s or playing pong and nothing would ever improve.

That's not "planned obsolescence, it's Moore's Law, and there is absolutely nothing that can be done about it. :)

tomhut

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2004
London
I disagree. You go to Apple website, you watch the presentation from Apple telling you how better the new ipad is, then you go to the mall and buy the iPad. You go home, open the box just to discover that you bought an older version of the IPad, and not the one you wanted to.

I think, they should replace people's ipad 3 for the most recent iPad if people alleges they didn't know it was the older one.

C'mon Apple respect brazilians and don't try to sell "old" **** down here.

How is any of this Apple's fault, in your own words Apple have done everything they need to educate the consumer about the new product. Surely the 3rd party retailer would be the one responsible for telling the customer they are buying an older product?

AJTC

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
I'm in the US and just bought a 4th generation iPad two weeks ago. They still had 3rd generations in stock at the store for the same price. I know what I am looking for but still had to double check and make sure I got the one I wanted.

Exactly. I understand the reseller can't drop the price since they bought it from Apple for that price. The 3rd generation really shouldn't be on the shelves unless it's at a lower price than the 4th generation and I think it's up to Apple to recall unsold ones or find a way to drop the price a bit.

Xero910

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
Gotta love how they believe they deserve to know in advance if a new product is coming out. I also love how they want free replacements AND 50% of their money back.

AJTC

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
I'm in the US and just bought a 4th generation iPad two weeks ago. They still had 3rd generations in stock at the store for the same price. I know what I am looking for but still had to double check and make sure I got the one I wanted.

How is any of this Apples fault, in your own words Apple have done everything they need to educate the consumer about the new product. Surely the 3rd party retailer would be the one responsible for telling the customer they are buying an older product?

The reseller would lose out on getting rid of the 3rd generation models if they did that. Unless the customer specifically asks, the reseller doesn't have to say anything.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I'd like to see the law. Planned obsolescence is where support (mainly in parts or necessary services, for legal recourse), is planned to be stopped after a certain, too short, time period. IE, the product is no longer functional, or able to be repaired. The wiki page claims this and if it becomes "unfashionable", which is an utter joke. This suit appears to be on the unfashionable side, since Apple certainly has not stopped supporting the iPad3. I really wish society would stop changing the meaning of words or phrases. Stupid.

Actually, wait. I'm not that interested. I know next to nothing about Brazil and certainly don't want to start reading up on their laws. If this has any standing (but lawsuit =! law), it sounds like a stupid law, though. :rolleyes:

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
idiotic

Wow. What's next - are you going to sue car manufacturers for different models?

Does a new iPad make the old one obsolete? dumb dumb dumb.

If you bought one right before the new one came out, Apple would exchange it.

I have to admit, and this will probably get me flamed, I would have thought this lawsuit would have come out of the US rather than Brazil just because it seems lawsuits in the US are rampant? I could be wrong.

But regardless, dumb imho.

nexx27

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
I do agree that this happened to Apple because they are Apple.

For example, Volkswagen STILL sells Golf IV down here!!!!!!!!

They are selling Golf VII in europe, that's 3 generations back!

pdc123

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
Uhh, my iPad 2 works just fine and still receives updates. It's not even in a iPhone-3G-sluggishness-after-updates death spiral, it works just as good as when I got it. People need to grow up and vote with their wallet.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
And here I thought all brazilians did was play soccer and women beach volleyball :)

They are hard core at suing anything that annoys them.

nexx27

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
How is any of this Apple's fault, in your own words Apple have done everything they need to educate the consumer about the new product. Surely the 3rd party retailer would be the one responsible for telling the customer they are buying an older product?

No, they should ****ing print at LEAST "3RD GENERATION" on the box. Or call "IPAD 3".

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
What was not accurate about my comment that Apple files a lot of lawsuits? And some of them frivolous?

"A lot" is very subjective in this case. Apple was the most sued company in tech even before its smartphone lawsuits started. Probably because they are successful, not because they sued HTC and Samsung.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
These people are insane. Either that, or a bunch of crazy entitled Americans are living down there and they're the ones that filed the suit. You know, right after they drove through a fast food place and burned themselves with hot coffee..This is stupid and it should be dismissed.

Sean4000

Suspended
Aug 11, 2010
Creative

If there is one company that should have been sued over this "planned obsolescence" cr@p, it's Creative. Their handling of the Daniel_K incident was criminal.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Oh mah gawd! Seriously? :confused:

Planned obsolescence? That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

I would love to see Apple completely remove all support for Brazil. Don't sell them anything and move the factories.

If you bought an older iPad, you still have that iPad and it still works. The world is going to move on and make new stuff. If you have "New Shiny Syndrome" then you're just going to have to accept the costs that go along with it. I have the original iPad and there hasn't been a single release of any Apple products that have affected me in any way.

Brazil :rolleyes:

okeefe13

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012
I just took a cr*p and had to flush TWO times!!!! I'm going to sue the toilet manufacturer. Really????

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Oh. My. God. How pathetic can people get? Suing because you want updated products to come out LESS frequently?

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Funny, my iPad 3 still works fine. Apparently ones bought in Brazil stopped working as soon as iPad4 came out.

In Brazil it's worse because of the near 100% import Tarrif on electronics. So when something goes obsolete in a short time, customers are punished EXTRA by the Tax man.

Of course, Apple sells these world wide... They don't have time to adjust a release because taxes are outrageous in just one country. I'd say Apple should just take them all back! No more 3 or 4 gen iPads. It was a "stealth" upgrade anyway Apple didn't make that big of deal... Just started shipping new ones for the same price.... How is that "bad"???

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
"A lot" is very subjective in this case. Apple was the most sued company in tech even before its smartphone lawsuits started. Probably because they are successful, not because they sued HTC and Samsung.

Frivolous is also subjective.

Oh mah gawd! Seriously? :confused:

I would love to see Apple completely remove all support for Brazil. Don't sell them anything and move the factories.

It's a good thing you aren't CEO of Apple. Because I have plenty of eyerolls and confused looks for you for suggesting that as an option :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.