Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Lesson to Apple: Don't update Brazil's products except once per year. They get a model late? Oh well, too bad.

I like this idea. Make it every two years and lets do a reset. Only sell the 1st gen iPad and in two more years they can get the iPad 2 and so on.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
For the record, my third gen retina iPad is still in immaculate condition, and excellent working order. The introduction of the iPad 4 didn't change that.:cool:

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Wow, moronic Brazilians. iPad 4 is actually the first real power upgrade the iPad has seen since the iPad 2.

Due to the retina displays needs the iPad 3 had the same, or LESS performance than the 2. Not until the 4 could the CPU/GPU drive the retina display AND give the iPad a speed upgrade.

LOL

scho52386

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
I don't get it...it's possible to sue a company for releasing new/improved products too fast? I have not studied law, but I just find that ridiculous...AND they have to update the hardware AND reimburse? For what? Because people did not inform themselves of the product they are purchasing? I find that to be quite ridiculous....

"Our citizens were not educated enough to differentiate two products, so you have to give them the newer one and some money." Am I understanding this correctly? :confused:

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

That's not "planned obsolescence, it's Moore's Law, and there is absolutely nothing that can be done about it. :)

Not really because Moore's law only exists due to people pushing the boundaries of what is possible in semiconductors. If people weren't trying to make new things and hence make the old things obsolete then there would be no Moores Law (which isn't a law at all simply an observation of past trends)

S

syd430

These governments are aware of Apple's unusually large cash reserves (and no debt) which makes Apple an easy target. No different to the price inquiry here is Aus. I mean screw free market enterprise, right?

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Gotta love how they believe they deserve to know in advance if a new product is coming out. I also love how they want free replacements AND 50% of their money back.

Well if you don't ASK the court up front, you can't add the demand later. So all these suits ask for the moon and stars knowing the court will only throw cheese wheels.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I guess maybe Apple should just hold back releasing new models there while everyone else gets them? would that make them happy?

C

champ01

Lesson to Apple: Don't update Brazil's products except once per year. They get a model late? Oh well, too bad.

Lesson for All companies making planned obsolescence products. ;)

This thread is full of nationalistic pricks who don't care that the world is turning more and more into a dump.

tomhut

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2004
London
No, they should ****ing print at LEAST "3RD GENERATION" on the box. Or call "IPAD 3".

Surely the consumer could simply return it if they find they have been mis-sold the product by the retailer? Again, Apple have no control over what happens in a 3rd party retail store.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I bought some fruits that were from Brazil. But by the time I bought it, the grocery store replenished the stock with fresh produce.

Brazil! A lawsuit is on the way!

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Nothing obsolete about the iPad 3, it runs perfectly well and I'm sure lots of people are very happy with theirs.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Dear Brazil,

Where have you been? This is what Apple has ALWAYS done with their products. They've ALWAYS had tech and the capability to implement the tech into a new device (99% there) but they always seem to hold back. They sell what they've got for about a year, then do a spec bump and sell the pants off of THAT for a year. It's played out over and over it's just that this time, they did it in a few months instead of a year.

We're glad you're still awake down there. Thanks for paying attention.

Sincerely,
The Blatantly Obvious

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Well if you don't ASK the court up front, you can't add the demand later. So all these suits ask for the moon and stars knowing the court will only throw cheese wheels.

I hanker for a hunka, a slab a slice or chunka, I hanker for a hunk of cheese! :p

timermag.jpg

emulator

macrumors 6502a
The only part of this article I agree with is the part about customers unknowingly buying the 3rd generation after the 4th generation was released.

There was no way for the average customer to distinguish between them and here in Ireland I thought it was really bad to walk into a store and see the 3rd generation still on sale at Christmas with the same price tag as the 4th generation.
Blame the stores, not the company that makes the product. And it's the customer's responsibility to educate themselves before making a purchase anyway, isn't it?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
As much as I hate to admit it, that's capitalism. While I hate that some of my tech gets outdated (still functional of course) so quickly, it's how the free market system works. Forgive me for stating, but if you don't like it, then, well, don't buy. :eek:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
"A lot" is very subjective in this case. Apple was the most sued company in tech even before its smartphone lawsuits started. Probably because they are successful, not because they sued HTC and Samsung.

So what is incorrect about my post? My definition of a lot isn't correct? :confused:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
As much as I hate to admit it, that's capitalism. While I hate that some of my tech gets outdated (still functional of course) so quickly, it's how the free market system works. Forgive me for stating, but if you don't like it, then, well, don't buy. :eek:

Absolutely.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Blame the stores, not the company that makes the product. And it's the customer's responsibility to educate themselves before making a purchase anyway, isn't it?

I agree. I used to work behind the bar before the iPhone craze and when customers bought PowerMac's and iMac's. Most, if not all of the sales team on the floor were tech savvy guys. Now, the stores are so over crowded, hiring sprees created a mass of lower paid, untrained "kids" who don't know the difference between a SSD or HDD, or why more RAM is better in most cases. Things we take for granted, but are a foreign language to many.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.