Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
So, is "Institute of Politics and Law Software" Potuguese for "Center for Science in the Public Interest?" They seem at the same headline-grabbing game.

If the iPhone decision and this law suit are indicators of what Apple can expect from Brazil, maybe they should reconsider their potential involvement with that new Foxcon facility down there.

Typical Third World B.S.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
As much as I hate to admit it, that's capitalism. While I hate that some of my tech gets outdated (still functional of course) so quickly, it's how the free market system works. Forgive me for stating, but if you don't like it, then, well, don't buy. :eek:
Exactly. And if they didn't do this, there would be no advancement. So, we wouldn't have the neat electronics we have today.

bigmikeinnj

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
River Forest, IL.
Sounds like Apple needs to find a new place to build all those obsolete products other than Brazil... What a mess !! What a bunch of idiots, no offense to anyone who is Brazilian, but man haven't these folks got bigger fish to fry.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I would love to see Apple pay a fine, and then pull all its products from Brazil! Just say, you know what….you dont like what we offer and how we offer it? Well, try importing it now from the US…..it will cost 2-3 times as much….

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I don't think new hardware qualifies as planned obsolescence. New iOS (or any OS for that matter) version that leave out old hardware arbitrarily sure is.

I know that sometimes there are valid reasons... I'm a software developer, I do understand. But sometimes it sure as hell look fishy...

Does that warrant a lawsuit? Probably not... But users can sure decide not to buy new HW. It's only obsolete if you make it obsolete in your mind. My 2006 iMac is still alive and kicking, but now owned by my ex-wife (I kept the 2010 macbook pro with HUGE pixels).

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
OMFG! Has the world gone insane????

Wow... I just can't even imagine how someone dreamt up this lawsuit!

This is even crazier than suing over a rectangle with rounded corners!

----------

I would love to see Apple pay a fine, and then pull all its products from Brazil! Just say, you know what….you dont like what we offer and how we offer it? Well, try importing it now from the US…..it will cost 2-3 times as much….

:rolleyes:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
OMFG! Has the world gone insane????

Wow... I just can't even imagine how someone dreamt up this lawsuit!
See, "has" is present tense. "Gone" is past tense.

Yes, the world went insane. It was thousands of years ago, though. So none of us knows anything but insanity.

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Just a polite reminder to all the ignorant people: one organisation and its associates != to every person in Brazil.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I tend to agree with the article...partly because I am an iPad 3 owner.

The lawsuit refers to Apple historically releasing new updates every 12+ months. In this case, Apple released the iPad 3 in mid March and then updated it again in early November...thus instead of being on a 12-month cycle, it was released 4-5 months early.

Now, the iPad 4 itself isn't any different from the 3 in regards to main/usable features...it simply has a better CPU and GPU if I recall. But still, Apple angered a LOT of people who bought the 3 and then came out with the 4 so quickly. You also need to take into consideration that Apple, HISTORICALLY, has always waited 12+ months to update anything.

Take all this into consideration and you have annoyed people and then lawsuits.

I bought my 3 in March...but if I had bought it in July or later, I would have been extremely upset. The only way to buy the iPad 3 after the 4 was released, was to dig through the Apple website...it was NOT easy to locate. Apple has since made it a bit easier to find the 3.

Overall it was a shady move by Apple.
Utter and complete nonsense.

Your iPad 3 STILL WORKS. You're upset because you bought one in March and Apple then released the iPad 4 in November? Good grief man, you think Apple should let it's product line stand still frozen in time for a year so that you don't get "extremely upset"???

Apple created a very competitive tablet market and Samsung and other copycat competitors aren't giving Apple any breathing space. Apple can't be mollycoddling immature, selfish customers who just have to have the latest thing for an entire year.

I bought an iPad 3 in October. Then when the iPad 4 was released, fortunately for me it was within the return window, so I returned my iPad 3 and bought the iPad 4. I counted myself lucky.

Now 3 months later Apple releases the iPad 4 with 128GB storage whereas before the max was 64GB. Did I have a conniption fit? Heck no! I'm happy that Apple is continuing to improve its product line. In time I plan to upgrade to the iPad 5 or the Retina iPad Mini. No problem. And I am NOT "extremely upset".

What balderdash this Brazil lawsuit is. What a bunch of crybabies!

:D

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
I guess they don't see all the new jobs created by the FoxxConn facility opening there as a win....

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
People complain about the "Apple Tax".It's time everyone realized how huge the "Lawyer Tax"is.Every worthless suit like this costs you money.In the products you buy and taxes for the courts.It's huge the amount of expense these human sacks of refuse impose on us all.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The only part of this article I agree with is the part about customers unknowingly buying the 3rd generation after the 4th generation was released.

There was no way for the average customer to distinguish between them and here in Ireland I thought it was really bad to walk into a store and see the 3rd generation still on sale at Christmas with the same price tag as the 4th generation.

Well, possibly. But if you walk into any consumer electronics store to look at, say, home theaters, you will find lots of discontinued models on the shelves alongside current models. The discontinued models may be at clearance prices, or be identified as such, but they may not. The store is under no obligation to disclose either way. The difference with the iPad is the two generations are physically identical and don't have different model numbers to distinguish one from the other.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
The difference with the iPad is the two generations are physically identical and don't have different model numbers to distinguish one from the other.

:confused: They are not physically identical, and they do have different model numbers.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
The only part of this article I agree with is the part about customers unknowingly buying the 3rd generation after the 4th generation was released.

There was no way for the average customer to distinguish between them and here in Ireland I thought it was really bad to walk into a store and see the 3rd generation still on sale at Christmas with the same price tag as the 4th generation.

But again, the fault is in the Brazilian import system, not APPLE. Stores in the US only had weeks of inventory, and obviously were able to put them on sale over the holiday.

To sell to Brazil... Takes an extra 2 months because their government won't guarantee the certification process isn't leaked... So certification doesn't START until the US launch in March.

Brazilian stores can't even order until June or July when the device is cleared by the government. (please pay money to help speed these along Applw) Then Apple has to ship them and the STORES have to get them through customs. Again Brazil and Customs corruption for electronics is rampant. It can take two months just to get a box of iPads off the dock... And probably more bribes to get them All. Not to mention paying that crazy 100% import tariff UP FRONT.

Given the time delay, stores would have to pay Apple for the FULL shipment weeks before receiving the stock... Meaning they can't have sales because they had to sink money..., in the USA stores can get the iPads SOLD before the invoice due date catches up in the mail... So if they have a sale, they don't LOSE INVESTED money or taxes.

So by the time a normal honest store got their iPad 3 stock in it was probably August... They had sunk the full price, plus taxes, waited 60 days to get the units... So literally, the iPad "4" was released mere weeks after normal lawful stores got their iPad 3 units.

But how much of that is APPLE'S problem???

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I think, they should replace people's ipad 3 for the most recent iPad if people alleges they didn't know it was the older one.

For a moment i refuse to believe there is people stupid enough to pay what they pay for an iPad and not know what it is.....!!
But then i remember what Einstein once said "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

bluesoverdrive

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
OMG just don't get me started on this one! having just come back from a six week holiday in Goiania, Goias, I'd say Brazil should focus totally on it's own problems....things like infrastructure, street crime, pollution, corruption to name just a few.

All pavement appears to be the responsibility of the property owner that abuts it, so you can have the bizarre situation where a pavement will go from hard surface to soft earth and back to hard surface. Pavements in the city centre that are a huge hazard to all people, potholes, loose paving slabs etc.

So be sure you have the back iPad camera on the display when walking and using the iPad at the same time. Looks like it was made to fit the Brazilian sidewalk needs. :p

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
(...)Again, Apple have no control over what happens in a 3rd party retail store.
Untrue. Apple has an extremely tight control on what is sold and at what price in third party stores. That's why you don't see much of a difference when switching stores, except on value-added services such as training or (non-Apple) accessories.

Dear Brazil,

Where have you been? This is what Apple has ALWAYS done with their products. They've ALWAYS had tech and the capability to implement the tech into a new device (99% there) but they always seem to hold back. They sell what they've got for about a year, then do a spec bump and sell the pants off of THAT for a year. It's played out over and over it's just that this time, they did it in a few months instead of a year.

We're glad you're still awake down there. Thanks for paying attention.

Sincerely,
The Blatantly Obvious
Apple has never updated their product so fast. By the time a customer lines up to get a new iDevice, after the usual shortages at the beginning,having sold the old one first, he will only have like 6 months before being pushed again with a "new & (slightly) improved" version, with a price increase to go with it. Planned obsolescence wouldn't be so much of an issue if one could install the latest iPhone OS version on it and don't lure the customer into thinking he'll have the latest version for at least a year that could reasonably be expected considering the high price tag.

What is also obvious is that having insignificant price decrease when a new version comes out is definitely customer un-friendly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.