Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Im hoping Apple would release touchscreen retina MBAs this year... Went to Bestbuy and saw a lot of windows8 laptops with touchscreen capabilities. So jealous!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Jealous?

Well, Mr Spock here don't get all emotional. I actually played with it... the tiles slide just fine as shown on TV but when I started to pinch-zoom it, EEEWWWW! That's horrible for a new OS running on brand new hardware. No need to be jealous.

Tiger, you already got a Swedish Blonde in the house, why are you looking over the fence? ;)

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
On a productivity machine? Think of all those nasty, distracting finger prints. Jobs would roll over in his grave. Let this particular flash-in-the-pan pass by, no need to participate.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Apple just need something new! Apple can just make it an option to have: Touchscreen MBA and Non-touchscreen MBA

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
I don't think Apple will release a touch screen laptop. They talked about this in one of their product announcements and they decided it was bad ergonomics.

Funny though that Apple makes Smart Cover that prop up iPads. I use my ipad all the time like this and it's very unergonimcal.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Funny though that Apple makes Smart Cover that prop up iPads. I use my ipad all the time like this and it's very unergonimcal.

I held my friend's iPad2 just for a minute, with one hand and I can't believe how heavy just 1.5 LB felt, can't imagine myself doing that for an extended amount of time. They had to have it prop up with something.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
I held my friend's iPad2 just for a minute, with one hand and I can't believe how heavy just 1.5 LB felt, can't imagine myself doing that for an extended amount of time. They had to have it prop up with something.

I thought the same of the ipad. I own a mini however that is much better for me.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Ugh

Why would I want to constantly shift my hands from a flat keyboard to a screen at an angle?

Doesn't an iPad and a BT keyboard already solve this problem?

Besides the novelty, what does a touchscreen laptop do better than what's already available?

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Im hoping Apple would release touchscreen retina MBAs this year... Went to Bestbuy and saw a lot of windows8 laptops with touchscreen capabilities. So jealous!

Its interesting that the best place to talk about a Touch Screen Mac is NOT a Mac forum. Touchscreens are eventually going to get here but, just like with the smaller iPad or larger iPhone, people out here wont "think different" until Apple gives them permission to.

Personally, I dont like Windows 8 but I did have a touchscreen Asus for a few days after the black friday sale before returning it and Touchscreens really are great IF you look at it as an optional input method rather than a primary. Touch isn't replacing anything on a laptop, its adding to it.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
okay...

Its interesting that the best place to talk about a Touch Screen Mac is NOT a Mac forum. Touchscreens are eventually going to get here but, just like with the smaller iPad or larger iPhone, people out here wont "think different" until Apple gives them permission to.

Personally, I dont like Windows 8 but I did have a touchscreen Asus for a few days after the black friday sale before returning it and Touchscreens really are great IF you look at it as an optional input method rather than a primary. Touch isn't replacing anything on a laptop, its adding to it.

Why the passive aggressive insult?

Yeah, it adds to the price. Whee.

rMBP15

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2013
I had a touchscreen HP laptop many years ago. It was only great when you wanna draw mathematical equations.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Negative, wont happen for a long time, unless a radical change in the MBA form.

deckhart

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
Why would I want to constantly shift my hands from a flat keyboard to a screen at an angle?

Doesn't an iPad and a BT keyboard already solve this problem?

Besides the novelty, what does a touchscreen laptop do better than what's already available?

I have a dell xps12 (win8) and MBA....

After a week using a win8 touchscreen, I find myself wanting to touch all laptop screens to do basic things...its much more natural and useful than you might think.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
After a week using a win8 touchscreen, I find myself wanting to touch all laptop screens to do basic things...its much more natural and useful than you might think.

According to Walt Mossberg, who just reviewed Win8 Surface Pro, once you have to drop down to the Win7 desktop to use your current Win Apps, the touch screen metaphor doesn't work good anymore and you have to drop back to the touchpad + mouse, which tells me, they have to upgrade the Apps for a touch interface for it to be truly useful. This may take a little while.

Following this thought, am wholly curious how the upcoming MS Office for IOS will look like.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Apple just need something new! Apple can just make it an option to have: Touchscreen MBA and Non-touchscreen MBA

It will be old then and Apple will be seen as a copy cat. They need to do something different and not just copy the stupid idea that windows 8 has implemented. You already have a touch screen - the track pad

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Why would Apple make a touchscreen MacBook when the iPad is around?

The entire reason iOS exists is because Mac OS X (and desktop computing in general) is not designed for a touch interface. This is also a primary reason why they'll never bring Flash to iOS — Flash was designed for PCs with mice. If Apple thought a touchscreen on your computer was a good idea, the iPad would run OS X and be called MacPad (or something).

Touch is a fundamentally different interface. Just like the mouse was in the 80s. That's why Apple's ProDOS fell to the wayside. Touchscreens ARE the future, but it will probably be in the form of a tablet. I'd expect tablets will replace laptops, and desktop PCs will eventually become niche products for developers and creatives.

Microsoft is probably vaguely near the right track with Windows 8 and the touchscreen laptops, but to me it feels like a clumsy fusion of Windows 7 and Windows Phone. It's only going to confuse and infuriate the typical consumer.

Last edited:

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Touch screen computers are gross IMO.

Windows 8 looks better on touch screen because the OS is made for touch screen.
In fact I find it harder to use Win8 on MBP as well.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I used Windows 8 on a touch screen "tablet" style computer for about three weeks. I mostly kept it docked with the bluetooth keyboard in front, though occasionally picked it up.

My impressions using the metro interface:
* it works a lot better than I thought
* reaching out and touching the screen begins to feel natural. It is not fatiguing compared to using a track pad.
* I was switching back and forth between a desktop running W8 and had to catch myself from trying to drag things around with my finger.

My impressions using the classic interface with touch:
* horrible! terrible! I had no mouse for the touch-enabled computer and that drove me nuts when not using the metro interface.

To my mind touch will work great on a laptop, but the OS and apps have to be optimized for touch.

I think before Apple would consider a touch interface on regular OS X, they'd have to revamp the UI of the OS to accomodate. It's a lot more than using iOS-like scroll bars.

And if they keep going strong with the iPad, I just don't see why they would do this. iOS IS the touch-optimized OS. Over time the hardware will get more and more powerful, and there will be less and less reason for Apple to make non-iOS devices.

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
I doubt they'll ever do this. I personally don't like the idea of the hybrid I just don't think it's optimized. If I want a tablet I'll just buy an iPad and if I need a computer I'll buy a computer.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Hasn't intel said that Haswell mobile chips require a touch screen? I've read that more than once now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.