Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GMTGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2012
They were the most valuable company recently(think exxon took back that top spot), so capital is obviously a non-issue for Apple, so my question is when are they going to bring it? That is, wow us with a new iPhone that actually has cutting edge features and that stifles the competition? Because right now, as it stands, iPhone is seriously falling behind(you even have Woz calling them out), And with great, feature packed phones like the galaxy s3 out, Apple needs to STEP UP. Thumbs up if you're with me.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
They were the most valuable company recently(think exxon took back that top spot), so capital is obviously a non-issue for Apple, so my question is when are they going to bring it? That is, wow us with a new iPhone that actually has cutting edge features and that stifles the competition? Because right now, as it stands, iPhone is seriously falling behind(you even have Woz calling them out), And with great, feature packed phones like the galaxy s3 out, Apple needs to STEP UP. Thumbs up if you're with me.

Woz is an idiot.

Apple only need to improve on what they are doing. iPhones aren't for nerds. They need to keep it simple and easy to use. Keep integration going and they will be fine.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
I think they should bring it. Sure they can keep doing the same old thing, and most "people" will like it. But if they bring it then they can sky rocket back to the top of the tech bubble. Ok you are going to say but they sell ------- well so what, honda sells a lot of cars but a maserati is still better in my opinion.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Just what I was waiting for.... ANOTHER post asking why Apple isn't producing molecular transporter watches and holographic touch displays yet?

Here's an idea. Before criticizing a successful company on what they haven't done yet, try going out and doing it yourself! :eek:

goofy1958

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I don't get why people say this. When the iPhone first came out, it only supported 2g (even though my cheap flip phone could do 3g!), app store was only just starting, and quite a few features were behind what were already available on other phones (it didn't even have GPS!). Apple has never actually "led the way" with features, but with the whole user experience. The Apple ecosystem is really what makes a difference.

The main feature that set it apart was the capacitive touchscreen. Now that everyone else has copied it, what do you think they need to do from a hardware perspective? Faster processors? They already do that every release. Larger capacity? Original iPhone maxed at 8GB. Now we have 64, and talk is that next may include up to 128GB. Add slot for more storage? Sorry, takes up too much room, and it's doubtful they will ever offer this option. Plus it takes away from battery life, and that is something Apple is always careful about. They waited to add LTE until a low enough power chip could be used. Again, Apple has never really led the way with certain features, and likely won't unless it can be included to enhance the users experience.

rant
The fall in stock price is completely due to the idiot analysts that really should be fired for coming up with completely unrealistic numbers that they are obviously pulling out of thin air. They keep on spouting their crap, and people think they are "in the know", when a monkey could come up with numbers by picking them out of a hat. Then they panic when Apple doesn't meet the "analysts" expectations (completely forgetting that Apple beat THEIR estimates) and dump the stock. Apple posted a huge profit of over $13 billion in ONE quarter, and the stock tanked because "analysts" said they didn't sell as many phones as "they" expected! Really?!?!?!?! /rant

Sorry for the long post. :)

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Just what I was waiting for.... ANOTHER post asking why Apple isn't producing molecular transporter watches and holographic touch displays yet?

Here's an idea. Before criticizing a successful company on what they haven't done yet, try going out and doing it yourself! :eek:

"Ditto" Can't believe some still ask questions as to "WHY" when only Apple knows, not use, then why ask in the first place for goodness sakes ? Some people must think forum members know everything. :mad: :confused:

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I'm curious as to what the load of features are that the GS3 has.

Huge screen?
NFC?
S-voice?

Nothing major from what I see. Apple has never been one to throw in useless features just to put on a spec sheet. It has to be something that actually enhances the experience for the majority of their users. They don't cater to techies or nerds who want the fastest processor just because. That's how your product becomes niche and alienates the majority of consumers.

Apples iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S are still the best selling devices on the market so what they're doing seems to be working well.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Apple jumped the shark long ago. Whatever was going to be brung, has already been broughten.

fonzie-doesnt-make-it.gif

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008

Every time One of you people are asked what SPECIFICALLY you want in a new iPnone,the answer comes down to "Uh...I dunno...just something AWESOME".Smart phones and tablets are becoming mature products and as such mind blowing new features will become more rare.Just look at the last few versions of OSX and Windows.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
They were the most valuable company recently(think exxon took back that top spot), so capital is obviously a non-issue for Apple

What a company has in the bank and how the hot air traders at wallst/nasdaq value its shares has got absolutely nothing to do with each other. And the S3 is inferior to even the 4S.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY

Sorry, but I don't think this is ever going to happen again.

Apple is going to continue with their business plan. They will continue to make low to medium "updates" to their products. I don't think they are all of a sudden going to go from what an iPhone 5 has to something that "stifles the competition". The competition is all about the WOW factor at this point. Did Apple lose some users to the GS3 and Note II? Yes, but they still continue to sell millions of 5's and even 4s's. They will come out with the 5s this year and it will sell millions. Same with when the iPhone 6 comes out. It will be tweaked, possibly even with a larger screen. iOS 7, when it comes out, will have so upgrades as well, but I just don't think they are looking for that huge splash anymore. Why? Because at this point they really don't need to. They make really good products and people buy them. Samsung has upped the competition, but the majority of Apple buyers will continue to do so and be happy with the updates as they come out. Those who don't will leave for "the next big thing". There will also always be new Apple buyers who don't like Android, so the circle will continue.

I love my iPhone 5. It does pretty much everything I need and want it to do and does it almost flawlessly.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I think they should bring it. Sure they can keep doing the same old thing, and most "people" will like it. But if they bring it then they can sky rocket back to the top of the tech bubble. Ok you are going to say but they sell ------- well so what, honda sells a lot of cars but a maserati is still better in my opinion.

"People" as opposed to what... Cyborgs?

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Sorry, but I don't think this is ever going to happen again.

Apple is going to continue with their business plan. They will continue to make low to medium "updates" to their products. I don't think they are all of a sudden going to go from what an iPhone 5 has to something that "stifles the competition". The competition is all about the WOW factor at this point. Did Apple lose some users to the GS3 and Note II? Yes, but they still continue to sell millions of 5's and even 4s's. They will come out with the 5s this year and it will sell millions. Same with when the iPhone 6 comes out. It will be tweaked, possibly even with a larger screen. iOS 7, when it comes out, will have so upgrades as well, but I just don't think they are looking for that huge splash anymore. Why? Because at this point they really don't need to. They make really good products and people buy them. Samsung has upped the competition, but the majority of Apple buyers will continue to do so and be happy with the updates as they come out. Those who don't will leave for "the next big thing". There will also always be new Apple buyers who don't like Android, so the circle will continue.

I love my iPhone 5. It does pretty much everything I need and want it to do and does it almost flawlessly.

This.

Apple already "Brought" it. They can't keep reinventing the wheel over and over just to appease the 1% of fanboys who will probably still buy the product anyway. If they lose a few people because Samsung has more GeeBees fine, but ultimately they want to appeal to the MASSES.

It's been brought. Get over it.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
There are two sides to every issue.

I want better, more current technology phones too. We all do.

But then there's the business side. If apple is making buckets of money on little upgrades here and there, then it's simply good business for them.

I was considering a big screen andriod phone, but the app store over here is just so good. I can get lots of games, and most of them free if I'm patient for sales.

Although apple does annoy me by having beta siri as main selling points for the 4S, and little junk like that - it's not quite enough to break me away.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
As of right now I dont think they will be any features that blow people away per se.Just like the PC wars(not mac vs pc)they've run out of features and its now going to be a spec war on androids front but not with the iPhone.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

If you have not figured this out yet, this is the wrong place to post these type of things. I am with you, but not very many people on macrumors will agree with you. The thing is nothing is going to change. Just look at the responses you got. If I have figured anything out from these forums, and from tech sites is that Apple has a cult like following. No matter what iPhone, iPad, and MacBook they put out there are these cult followers that will buy it. Don't get me wrong I love a lot of Apple products, but I choose to skip a couple of iPhones before I buy another cause nothing really changes.

Apple does not have to change anything because Apple cult followers can keep their sales numbers up high enough not to. Now we have not seen a decline is sales yet, but if we do it want drop enough to make Apple blink. The people like me that only buy Apple products every so often are icing on the cake for Apple in terms of sales.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I don't get why people say this. When the iPhone first came out, it only supported 2g (even though my cheap flip phone could do 3g!), app store was only just starting, and quite a few features were behind what were already available on other phones (it didn't even have GPS!). Apple has never actually "led the way" with features, but with the whole user experience. The Apple ecosystem is really what makes a difference.

The main feature that set it apart was the capacitive touchscreen. Now that everyone else has copied it, what do you think they need to do from a hardware perspective? Faster processors? They already do that every release. Larger capacity? Original iPhone maxed at 8GB. Now we have 64, and talk is that next may include up to 128GB. Add slot for more storage? Sorry, takes up too much room, and it's doubtful they will ever offer this option. Plus it takes away from battery life, and that is something Apple is always careful about. They waited to add LTE until a low enough power chip could be used. Again, Apple has never really led the way with certain features, and likely won't unless it can be included to enhance the users experience.

rant
The fall in stock price is completely due to the idiot analysts that really should be fired for coming up with completely unrealistic numbers that they are obviously pulling out of thin air. They keep on spouting their crap, and people think they are "in the know", when a monkey could come up with numbers by picking them out of a hat. Then they panic when Apple doesn't meet the "analysts" expectations (completely forgetting that Apple beat THEIR estimates) and dump the stock. Apple posted a huge profit of over $13 billion in ONE quarter, and the stock tanked because "analysts" said they didn't sell as many phones as "they" expected! Really?!?!?!?! /rant

Sorry for the long post. :)

Wasnt really the first capacitive touch screen phone either. Was the most popular for sure but then you could say that with a lot of iPhone features.

In that respect other manufactures may have copied the iPhone but when someone else is already doing it its tough to say everyone copied the 2nd, 3rd or 4th guy (dont know) to do it.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Apple already has the best phone for me. Why do I need them to stifle the competition?

----------

I hope they come out with some cool new features.
Actual things that are usefull not gimmick things like fingerprint scanners and other junk that have been rumored for the next iphone.

What features? You're obviously talking hardware here.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
No, as opposed to the 0.001% of smartphone buyers that are geeks whining on internet forums about widgets, left open app drawers, and screens that need to get bigger.

Give that man a cigar!

Ok, OK maybe just give him the end of a used cigar, but for god sakes give him something before he talks some more.... JK

----------

Apple already has the best phone for me. Why do I need them to stifle the competition?

----------

What features? You're obviously talking hardware here.

New features, you know, the ones we dont know about yet because apple has not invented them, those features...

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut

"people"?

:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.