Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Slightly thicker and heavier? Brace yourselves, the angry mob is comming

I don't know about an angry mob, but just like with the regular iPad, I think it is a mistake to release a thicker and/or heaver iPad mini. It should not support whatever components require it to be thicker unless it can do it at its current thickness or less.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
There will not be a thicker/heavier ipad mini. if they can't fit retina in current specs, they will wait. If you know apple at all this is obvious.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
this looks like one of those prototype ipads from a decade ago. i don't care if it's a 4k display. too thick.

maveness

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2004
Let me be the first to say: No. Way.

Too chunky 'n' clunky. Blue logo??? NOT. A. CHANCE.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Resolution issue

What resolution could an iPad mini be? If they increase it they would have to use the current value from the iPad. Otherwise, it's yet another resolution for developers to code...

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yes, these possibly may be photos....

Drawings.

... or possibly just figments of our collective imagination ...

What resolution could an iPad mini be? If they increase it they would have to use the current value from the iPad. Otherwise, it's yet another resolution for developers to code...

I think the general consensus around the tech community is the same as the 9.7" product (2048x1536), resulting in a pretty nice 326PPI, and correctly (within design guidelines) scaled UI elements.

Same apps, no changes to resources in app bundles, little-to-no development issues.

Just need a CPU/GPU to drive that without any performance loss (A5X? A6?) vs. the current product, +but+ without any loss in product size/weight/battery life, which will be tricky. Assuming another reduction in the die size (power needs) of the CPU/GPU selected, combined with a very _low_ power display tech (IGZO?)

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
My first iPhone 5 came with a blue + volume button that looked just like that. (Along with a couple dents and scratches). I got to remove the blue layer though and the button underneath looked fine.

I doubt this is permanent either.

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
The blue logo and iPad word mark are likely just due to a physical masking material placed over those areas to keep them smooth. The rest of the shell gets blasted with a physical media to give the matte finish.

Edit: Also, the chamfered top edge would be machined post media blast to reduce the amount of masking required.

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Thicker is fine if it has retina :)

Exactly why I didn't get the 1st gen.

----------

The blue logo and iPad word mark are likely just due to a physical masking material placed over those areas to keep them smooth. The rest of the shell gets blasted with a physical media to give the matte finish.

That makes sense. I wouldn't expect Apple to offer iPads like that.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Let me be the first to say: No. Way.

Too chunky 'n' clunky. Blue logo??? NOT. A. CHANCE.

Yeah it makes no sense. If they were going to offer options for colours then why just the Apple logo and device name.

----------

Please arrive in March. Otherwise if it's September / November I'll be getting the 1 soon and upgrade later on

You think it'll be available that soon? I think they should reconsider that if they are or else some people might think they should file a class action suit because of Apple's "planned obsolescence" scheme like they did in Brazil :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.