Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamjb22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
So first off this is my current Mac setup:
2011 iMac i7, 1tb, 16 gb ram
2012 cMBP, i5, 500gb, 16gb ram
1st gen iPad 16gb

I am a student working on getting my bachelors in business, and Ive recently came to the decison to lighten up my backpack by replacing/upgrading my current device(s). I currently have my cMBP on my local craigslist hoping to get close to $1000 for it. After that planning on using that money plus some more to have a budget of $1400-1500

I currently don't do anything too computer intensive, occasionally run windows7 via parallels for publisher or excel. Currently have it on both macs, but other than that just basic computing, browsing, HW, itunes, etc. nothing crazy. In the summer I usually work out of town, and is when the laptop came in handy (used to be my blackbook)

The ipad was my wifes and have barely started using for basic browsing and email.

So ive came up with 3 options to satisfy my budget:

1) 11.6 Air w/ i7, 128gb, 8gb ram and applecare for $1438.99 (BHphoto)

2) try to make due with iPad 1 until iPad 5 32gb is out for $700ish?

3) Refurb 11.6 Air w/ i5 128gb, 4gb ram and iPad mini or iPad 5 for 1300-1500?

Id like to hear what the MR community thinks, or has any other options. One last thing is i have a bad habit of always wanting the latest and greatest apple gadgets but wanting to be as frugal as i can lol

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
So first off this is my current Mac setup:
2011 iMac i7, 1tb, 16 gb ram
2012 cMBP, i5, 500gb, 16gb ram
1st gen iPad 16gb

I am a student working on getting my bachelors in business, and Ive recently came to the decison to lighten up my backpack by replacing/upgrading my current device(s). I currently have my cMBP on my local craigslist hoping to get close to $1000 for it. After that planning on using that money plus some more to have a budget of $1400-1500

I currently don't do anything too computer intensive, occasionally run windows7 via parallels for publisher or excel. Currently have it on both macs, but other than that just basic computing, browsing, HW, itunes, etc. nothing crazy. In the summer I usually work out of town, and is when the laptop came in handy (used to be my blackbook)

The ipad was my wifes and have barely started using for basic browsing and email.

So ive came up with 3 options to satisfy my budget:

1) 11.6 Air w/ i7, 128gb, 8gb ram and applecare for $1438.99 (BHphoto)

2) try to make due with iPad 1 until iPad 5 32gb is out for $700ish?

3) Refurb 11.6 Air w/ i5 128gb, 4gb ram and iPad mini or iPad 5 for 1300-1500?

Id like to hear what the MR community thinks, or has any other options. One last thing is i have a bad habit of always wanting the latest and greatest apple gadgets but wanting to be as frugal as i can lol

Not sure what Apple Refurb store you're looking at but I see them for as low as $849 USD.

adamjb22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Not sure what Apple Refurb store you're looking at but I see them for as low as $849 USD.

Right. The one I listed is priced at $909 but once you add in an iPad and tax you get to the 1300-1500 price

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Right. The one I listed is priced at $909 but once you add in an iPad and tax you get to the 1300-1500 price

Oh, I see now. My bad mate.

But realistically (and for your budget), do you actually *need* an iPad? MacBook Airs are almost just as portable.

adamjb22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Oh, I see now. My bad mate.

But realistically (and for your budget), do you actually *need* an iPad? MacBook Airs are almost just as portable.

I mean I absolutely dont need an ipad... The big thing ive found easier to do recently is reading pdf's and books for both school work. Its mainly the form factor that makes life a lil easier

2 Street Cats

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2011
I mean I absolutely dont need an ipad... The big thing ive found easier to do recently is reading pdf's and books for both school work. Its mainly the form factor that makes life a lil easier

Adam,
I got by perfectly fine with an 11" Air for 2 years before I added an iPad Mini a little over a month ago.
You could try Screen Rotate for reading books and PDF's on the Air until you can afford to add a mini.

http://www.macscreenrotate.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.