Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
I'd also recommend a book named "Learn Objective-C on the Mac (Second Edition)" by Apress Publishing.

That's what I read when I was in your shoes and it really helped explain the topics in an easy to understand manner. It also helped me get my feet wet with basic Objective-C programming in a very short amount of time.

Do note however though that I have previous programming experience (with Java). I think learning a new language is going to be easier if you already have some programming experience.

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia
How would I learn objective C? I have no knowledge of it at all but want to create and app.

It really depends on your background. Do you know other programming languages? Which ones?

If you already know C, a book that teaches the extensions of Objective C would be a good choice.

Another important question is do you know object oriented design (OOD) and Object Oriented Programming (OOP)? If not, you've got you work cut out for you. OOP is a different way of thinking about design, and it takes a while to get used to.

Finally, once you have a decent understanding of Objective C, you need to learn the Cocoa Touch frameworks. That's actually a much bigger job than learning Objective C.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
My background came as a programmer with little to no experience.

I didn't learn C first. I basically used Stephen Kochan's Learning Objective C book to build my foundation. Then I did the Big Nerd Ranch Guide.

Got to be clear on this though, I followed everything. I did not skip any steps and I was willing to fail a lot. I did every exercise.

The biggest drawback at the time I had was understanding how to use the documentation to my advantage or just using it at all.

The other and probably most important thing is to keep trying to make applications or make one big application where you keep adding more and more layers.

Things just starting to click together more and more and I am much better at it.

It took me about 2 years to become comfortable with my skill level.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
I fully endorse Kochan's Programming in Objective-C.

----------

The biggest drawback at the time I had was understanding how to use the documentation to my advantage or just using it at all.

Unfortunately that only comes with experience. During University, I was quite the regular at StackOverflow for little bugs or irritations that I was having. For the majority of the time, other users were extremely helpful in explaining some key concepts. However, every so often, you'd get the smart ass who'd say RTFM or "Here's a tasty link to the docs", which isn't helpful. You need a good understanding of the underlying technology to fully understand the lingo in, say, the Python or Apple docs online. But, most importantly, you need to learn which stuff is boilerplate and what is actually meaningful. That, my friend, comes through experience.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Thanks everyone, I have no knowledge whatsoever in any programming language so it might be a little difficult. Btw does anyone know how it's even possible to code something like angry birds? Do they upload the images of the slingshot, birds etc? Or do they somehow make it with code?

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia
Thanks everyone, I have no knowledge whatsoever in any programming language so it might be a little difficult. Btw does anyone know how it's even possible to code something like angry birds? Do they upload the images of the slingshot, birds etc? Or do they somehow make it with code?

I would suggest buying the book "Objective C Programming - The Big Nerd Ranch Guide" Written by Aaron Hillegass. It teaches programming from the beginning, starting with a brief introduction to standard C and then moving on to Objective C. It will teach you about variables, data types, flow control, pointers, etc, and then move on to Objective C.

The book is a fairly easy read, and by the time you're done with it, as long as you do all the exercises, you should have a decent understanding of programming in general, and of Objective C in particular. Aaron's writing style is informal and not too heavy.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I would suggest buying the book "Objective C Programming - The Big Nerd Ranch Guide" Written by Aaron Hillegass. It teaches programming from the beginning, starting with a brief introduction to standard C and then moving on to Objective C. It will teach you about variables, data types, flow control, pointers, etc, and then move on to Objective C.

The book is a fairly easy read, and by the time you're done with it, as long as you do all the exercises, you should have a decent understanding of programming in general, and of Objective C in particular. Aaron's writing style is informal and not too heavy.
Thanks! I will definitely look into that.

iJustinCabral

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012

Exactly what he said. This was my starting point as well about a year ago. Great read.

The only downside to the Big Nerd Ranch book is they stay away form storyboards and I find that for beginners, storyboarding is a great tool.

A great read would be "iOS 6 By Tutorials" over at http://www.raywenderlich.com

They approach it as if you have no experience with coding, by the end of that book you should have a bigger context of Apple;s Cocoa Framework.

Good luck, and happy coding!

kevinloyed

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2012
www. virtuousgiant.com/best-way-learn-objective-c/ this link will more help you to learn objective C

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States

I think you're getting too far ahead of yourself :p

There's numerous ways to "create" an iOS game. One way is to use a game engine such as Torque (by GarageGames) or Unity. However, learning to create video games is a whole 'nother animal.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I think you're getting too far ahead of yourself :p

There's numerous ways to "create" an iOS game. One way is to use a game engine such as Torque (by GarageGames) or Unity. However, learning to create video games is a whole 'nother animal.

That's pretty cool, do they have something like that for apps?

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia

As the other poster said, a release quality app like Angry Birds is way beyond the abilities of somebody who's never programmed before. You'd need several years of development under your belt before you'd be able to create something like that.

I understand it was written by a husband and wife team. I think one of them was a programmer type and the other was a graphic artist type. A log of the graphics assets were probably created in a program like Photoshop and then imported into the project.

I've got the programming and UI design knowhow to do a game like that, but can't draw to save my life. I'd have to hire/partner with an artist.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I have no knowledge whatsoever in any programming language so it might be a little difficult. Btw does anyone know how it's even possible to code something like angry birds? Do they upload the images of the slingshot, birds etc? Or do they somehow make it with code?

Yes.

Your question is sort of like me asking how I might perform brain surgery on you, even though I haven't even applied to medical school yet. Or how to write a best-selling Russian novel before taking any courses in Russian or even in creative writing. How long would either of those take?

You're lucky, creating a great iPhone game is perhaps 4X easier to learn than either of the above.

samwise

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2005
North Salt Lake, Utah
Like the OP, I'm starting out playing around with XCode and wanting to learn Objective-C - the difference is my job is a tester/QA in a VB/SQL environment, so I have some working knowledge, albeit primarily SQL and VB6, with some VB 2008 just coming on-stream.

Of the books mentioned, which would be the best start, or is it down to personal preference, as I have some OO experience.

atmenterprises

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Like the OP, I'm starting out playing around with XCode and wanting to learn Objective-C - the difference is my job is a tester/QA in a VB/SQL environment, so I have some working knowledge, albeit primarily SQL and VB6, with some VB 2008 just coming on-stream.

Of the books mentioned, which would be the best start, or is it down to personal preference, as I have some OO experience.

I have a background similar to yours and I'm using the Big Nerd Ranch book.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
One more thing I like to add is I found nsscreencast to be a great video tutorial website. Not free but 9 dollars a month is only a couple cups of coffee at Starbucks.

Last edited:

andrewobrien

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
Definitely go for "Objective-C Programming. The Big Nerd Ranch Guide" by Aaron Hillegass as it is suitable for total newbies. You'll learn the basics of computer programming from the beginning. Also, you'll learn variables, switch statements, data types, flow control statements like for loops and while loops, etc. Basically, the main topic is about Objective C language.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
Read something. I learned off of youtube and many many many hours of troubleshooting and finding my way around. I eventually spent a lot of time reading the Apple documentation on the Xcode interface and learned a lot about what those buttons do. If I had read a book i would have had an easier time grasping the code and understanding how everything works, It's 3 years later now and I'm fine, but that base knowledge and understanding would have certainly sped up the process. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.