Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
The whole reason I like the Mini so much is how light and thin it is, if that is lost then you might as well get the bigger one, JMO.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Perhaps once it is machined to achieve the chamfered edge it will be the same thickness as the current Mini. No need to worry yet...hopefully

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm guessing they're first generation pre-production if anything, not second.

I was thinking the same thing. First run for testing of an item not due out for several months.

Or another thought. This looks like a first gen iPad with more rounded edges. Modeled perhaps after the original iPhone. Which makes me think perhaps this was a prototype for the iPad or even Mini. One which could have been rejected for the current design, not the next intended design.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Hopefully these are the first signs of a Retina iPad mini. That would turn a good product into a great product.

Yeah, a few of us are waiting on iPad Mini w/ Retina and at least A5X CPU. That would be really sweet.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Maybe they wiil keep the current model and add a retina version. But then again, that looks kinda old, with scratches and such.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Maybe they wiil keep the current model and add a retina version. But then again, that looks kinda old, with scratches and such.

But without new battery technology it will need to be thicker for any retina iPad Mini, not only for the bigger battery need to last 10 hours but also for the screen, which is slightly thicker. It all ads up.

Depending on cost and if they keep the current Mini after a new one is release, like they have with big brother. I'd seriously consider the original mini if the price is right.

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
No it's not!!! Then it's not the iPad MINI anymore! The great thing about the mini was it's size and weight. When you add a retina display you need more CPU = bigger battery = more size and weight.

If the iPad Mini retina is heavier than the current mini, I'll be picking up the current model.

----------

Which will make it larger and heavier. So why not get a full sized ipad?

dont worry, this is why Apple will come up with an iPad Nano, the thinner, non-retina iPad that iPad mini intended to be. It's the iPad shuffle however that will blow your mind with its screenless technology.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Retina dislay and faster processor may be the breaking point to me getting an iPad mini. :apple::apple:

I think buying the first-gen mini was a mistake for anyone to make. The retina mini will be huge. Can't wait for it. Then again, when the full-size iPad becomes more svelte and light, that's still on the cards, too...

Either way, the iPad mini retina = winning. The current mini is a bit of a joke, really. A new product from Apple that doesn't innovate at all? 1024x768? Really? The same processor as the iPad 2? Really?

And people wonder why some of us are getting slightly jaded by Apple these days...

STEP UP YOUR GAME, Ive!

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
That's definitely going to make the first iPad mini obsolete.

The iPad mini was obsolete the moment it was released. The N7 beats in most ways. Really hope the 2nd mini will be amazing...

And no I'm not being an Apple-hater. Look at the specs between the two. The N7 beats the iPad mini. Fact. Not opinion. The only thing the mini has over the N7 is the build quality (Apple is king with that) and the App Store. But even the Play store is catching up now. Not much of a reason to buy the mini unless you absolutely love iOS over Android. In that case go for it. More power to you.

wast3gat3

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
I'm sick to death of these bogus **** rumors you guys are posting. FFS unless some numpty has the product in his hand waving and it's clearly identifyable as a new product I'm not interested. :mad:

I have a photo of the iPhone 7 it's made out of teddy bears and lollypops...

Stop with the BS posts your turning me off using Apple products all together!

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Retina mini is a must have. This mini I'm typing on goes bye bye as soon as I hear some solid news. I never touch my iPad 4 anymore..the mini size is so addictive.

Hurst

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Finally

.........they've built the prototype case for the flux capacitor or is it the flux capacitor mini!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.