Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There is no official Craigslist mobile app, but Mokriya, a company that worked on apps like Threadflip, has licensed the right to use Craigslist's data for a streamlined new app with impressive search capabilities.

mokriya.jpg
Mokriya Craigslist has a clean interface that features two tap navigation, which means accessing any part of the site takes just a few taps. Browsing desired products is as simple as entering a city, tapping a category, and scrolling through listings.

The app is image-centric, similar to Pinterest, with pictures in listings displayed prominently. Advanced search features make it easy to find specific listings. Posting from Mokriya Craigslist is quick, requiring just a headline, a price, a category, and a photo.

Mokriya Craigslist is free to download, but accessing premium features like alerts and favorites or creating posts will require a $0.99 upgrade. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Officially Licensed Craigslist App Enhances Mobile Experience with Image-centric Interface

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I still find Craigslist useless because their interface and their search are region-centric and do not allow to search all of Craigslist. Not everyone is looking for a fridge or a couch, some things are rare and smaller and need to be shipped.

michaywood

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
not off to a good start.. just downloaded the app to test it out, and all it does is crash...

and i agree, if you could search craigslist by a certain radius of your location, that would be better than searching cities. Like craigsy.com used to be before craigslist shut them down

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I still find Craigslist useless because their interface and their search are region-centric and do not allow to search all of Craigslist. Not everyone is looking for a fridge or a couch, some things are rare and smaller and need to be shipped.

It has been common sense that people use Craiglist so they don't have to ship stuff. Annoying, yeah, but it's not eBay. Even just trying to ask is problematic, I've tried it many times, and people just say they don't do PayPal. Even if you'd pay the shipping costs.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
It has been common sense that people use Craiglist so they don't have to ship stuff. Annoying, yeah, but it's not eBay. Even just trying to ask is problematic, I've tried it many times, and people just say they don't do PayPal. Even if you'd pay the shipping costs.

we can thank nigerian paypal scams for that.

Switchfoot

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2004
not off to a good start.. just downloaded the app to test it out, and all it does is crash...

and i agree, if you could search craigslist by a certain radius of your location, that would be better than searching cities. Like craigsy.com used to be before craigslist shut them down

I've always found SearchTempest to be up to the task...

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

ebay.com

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I still find Craigslist useless because their interface and their search are region-centric and do not allow to search all of Craigslist.

There are a number of apps that allow searching multiple locations across craigslist. (Heck, I used to even have one on the App Store; it was the first, but a number of competitors followed suit.)

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
yo many scamming people on craigslist, and always get those scammers from nigeria with there made up storys

Kijiji > craigslist

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Ugh, I had gotten all excited because all of the existing Craigslist apps are terrible. (I used to kind of like Craigsfish, but it's gone.)

This one is just as bad, though, really. The interface is slightly nicer, but it omits the location information from listings. I guess it might have some kind of alternative mapping view, but if you're in list mode there is no way of knowing where something is from, which kind of defeats the purpose (top level locations are not useful, you need to see the location text for the individual listing).

Additionally, if you allow it to use location services, it never lets go. Even after killing the app my services were still active for at least 10 minutes. Didn't allow my phone to rest until I deleted the program. The thing didn't even pick the right location listing for me.

Oh well, maybe next time.

thuchu1

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
Auburn Hills, MI
The app would definitely feel better if the animations were faster. They are cool and all, but it means a lot of waiting for no reason.

Melsaccount

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Found a battery draining bug with your app. Your app keeps accessing GPS location even when you close app. It even keeps using GPS location when you remove it from the multi task bar. The only way to get it to stop is to delete app or don't give it permission to use location services.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Atleast the app looks semi-attractive craigslist is the ugliest popular site in the world IMO - surely they can afford someone to spice it up a bit?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Found a battery draining bug with your app. Your app keeps accessing GPS location even when you close app. It even keeps using GPS location when you remove it from the multi task bar. The only way to get it to stop is to delete app or don't give it permission to use location services.

This is MacRumors, not the Mokriya support forum.

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010

you can search the site through google:
put "site:craigslist.org your item" in the search bar.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Tried it...but can't say I am a fan. It seems to use animation just to use animation, most of the time they get in the way of actually using the app. The scrolling feels off in the results view.

Then there are just weird UI conventions that feel completely wrong - tapping on a result spreads it out (slowly...) to go back you hit the X in the top right, when every other app on iOS puts the back button in the top left.

It could be improved if the animation speeds were 2x as fast, even if you still have to wait for the content to load. They just make it feel laggy when it takes half a second to transition.

But it does look way nicer than using CL on the web.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

Um, that's exactly the opposite of Craigslist's purpose for being. It's entire purpose for being is to facilitate in-person, face-to-face transactions that don't involve shipping.

To be blunt, anyone selling something "rare" and shippable on Craigslist is an idiot - because those are the exact things eBay is for.

vigorblade

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
New York, NY
Thanks for the searchtempest.com suggestion

I've always found SearchTempest to be up to the task...

I never knew about Searchtempest, before your post, so thanks for that one.

Anyone know another great resource for placing free or very low cost ads like craig's List, that many people also go to to find services (logo design, retouching, etc.) ?

The free ad posting service on craig's list has been pretty good to me.:cool:

hogo

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2005
so. cal
So far I guess this is the best. Cpro infuriates me especially on the ipad. The actual window of the ad on that app is like 3 inches wide! The rest of the space is wasted. I would like to see an ipad version of this. Hopefully ths will get some useful updates.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Not always true ....

I've actually sold and shipped a number of items I had advertised on Craigslist, including a tube guitar amplifier, an Ibanez electric guitar, and more recently, a number of smaller items like computer software. (In the recent cases, people were in the general area but didn't want to drive out to my place, vs. just paying a few extra dollars for postage and paying me via PayPal.)

Craigslist is, basically, intended for local transactions where the buyer and seller meet up in person. But it doesn't really HAVE to work that way. I'm an honest guy and will happily do business with whoever is willing to buy from me, even if it means I need to package it up and ship it someplace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.