Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Leaked video: Google-designed Chromebook Pixel with touchscreen and 2560 x 1700 resolution
chromebook-pixel-1.jpg

I don't know why the world needs such a high resolution Chromebook but a part of me hopes this is real.

Hungry&Foolish

Suspended
Mar 29, 2012
Google Launches $1,299 Chromebook Pixel With 2560×1700 3:2 12.85″ Touchscreen, Core i5 CPU, 1TB Of Google Drive Storage & Optional LTE

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
nice Retina Macbook.

that being said, too expensive. The 13inch rMBP can be had for less than this online for refurbs.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Looks like the only redeeming quality about this laptop is the build and screen. 4GB of RAM, a 32GB SSD and an open source OS that is basically just a glorified web browser for $1300?

I don't really get why someone would buy this. Why wouldn't someone in the market for something similar just buy this and this and save yourself $765?

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Google Launches $1,299 Chromebook Pixel With 2560×1700 3:2 12.85″ Touchscreen, Core i5 CPU, 1TB Of Google Drive Storage & Optional LTE

1TB Hard drive? The site I saw only said either a 32 or a 64GB SSD. If it comes with 1TB SSD and I can install Windows on it that could be very tempting.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
$1299 for a web browser? Really? The only feature that keeps this from being the biggest LOL since the invention of the LOL itself is the screen. I can get a 13" Retina MBP for about the same price. And install Chrome. And install Google Drive. There you go, a Chromebook Pixel. Heck, a much better Chromebook Pixel.

----------

Did you read what you quoted???

It's 1tb of google drive storage. Not local

Yea, and to use that 1TB of Google Drive storage you need to be connected to the Internet. So if you have crappy WiFi (I don't think it has an Ethernet port?), you are really stuck between a rock and a hard place. Or no internet connection, you're just stuck.

This is exactly like the Surface Pro. Too ahead of its time. Apple makes stuff that is far ahead enough to make us lust after it but behind enough so that we can actually use it.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
If you are going to install Windows on it...it is not all that different from existing laptops with a quick boot pre-OS environment with a browser and other pre-installed applications in firmware. I would expect a long time of updates from Google though.

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Im trying to think of a market for this besides Google lovers. Why do you need a Core i5 MBP, with MBPr display running a web browser when this thing costs $1300 and only gets 5 hrs battery and gives 32GB storage?
Touch response is bad and choppy because Chrome isnt good with that too (based on my uses in WIndows compared to IE10 and also from The Verge's video).

Power users? Nope, no native apps.
On the go users? Nope, 5 hr battery.
Budget buyers? Nope, $1300.

It looks like a cheap knockoff of a MBP and I normally dont say that about products.

Stick with Windows, OS X or tablet OS's for now. If this ran Windows 8 it would be okay, still a boxier knockoff of a MBP with a worse looking finish, weird hinge design, at a not great price though.

Last edited:

Hungry&Foolish

Suspended
Mar 29, 2012
1TB Hard drive? The site I saw only said either a 32 or a 64GB SSD. If it comes with 1TB SSD and I can install Windows on it that could be very tempting.

My bad. you were right on 64gb ssd. 64 gb is the LTE version for 1449.

----------

Im trying to think of a market for this besides Google lovers. Why do you need a Core i5 MBP, with MBPr display running a web browser when this thing costs $1300 and only gets 5 hrs battery?
Touch response is bad and choppy because Chrome isnt good with that too (based on my uses in WIndows compared to IE10 and also from The Verge's video).

It looks like a cheap knockoff of a MBP and I normally dont say that about products.

Stick with Windows, OS X or tablet OS's for now. If this ran Windows 8 it would be okay, still a boxier knockoff of a MBP with a worse looking finish, weird hinge design, at a not great price though.

Exactly. Pricy,crap battery life.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Im trying to think of a market for this besides Google lovers. Why do you need a Core i5 MBP, with MBPr display running a web browser when this thing costs $1300 and only gets 5 hrs battery?

Google lovers with extremely deep pockets who only need to check Facebook and read email? Yup :)

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
They had to have been in cahoots with Apple on this. This is great for Apple.

"Just pay another $200 for OS X/Windows capability, better hardware design, bigger/longer lasting battery, HDMI, USB 3, faster processor, double the RAM, Bluetooh 4.0, better support, and using a computer that isnt the biggest knockoff in the history of computers."

"You get the feel of a luxury car door opening and closing," says Google.
Sounds familiar? Surface hinge anyone?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Clearly a case of 'designed because they could' ... And not because 'they should'.....

Beautiful screen, great hardware, terribly limited OS with less software choice than a $200 androd tablet....

Could they (google) have at least supported dual booting into Android 4.1.2 ???

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Clearly a case of 'designed because they could' ... And not because 'they should'.....

Beautiful screen, great hardware, terribly limited OS with less software choice than a $200 androd tablet....

Could they (google) have at least supported dual booting into Android 4.1.2 ???

I think they must have a plan for Android apps on this at least. "For what's next"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.