Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

pvz.png
Popcap's iconic game Plants vs. Zombies has been a top seller on both the iPad and the iPhone since it was introduced to iOS in 2010.

Though it has been offered at a reduced price multiple times, the app has never before been available for free, until today, because of Apple's App of the Week promotion.

Plants vs. Zombies is a lane defense game where players use a variety of defensive plants to fight off waves of attacking zombies. Thanks to its cartoonish graphics and strategic gameplay, Plants vs. Zombies is a game that is popular with both serious and casual gamers.

The game features 50 levels of traditional gameplay, along with a never-ending survival mode, a Zen Garden, and an array of challenging mini games.

Plants vs. Zombies is designed for the iPhone and can be downloaded from the App Store at no cost. [Direct Link]

Plants vs. Zombies HD is the version that has been designed for the iPad, and it is also free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Popcap's 'Plants vs. Zombies' for iPhone and iPad Available for Free

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Sounds like an intentionally-timed tease for the sequel supposedly dropping this spring.

Just what I need...another addiction.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Suspected it was App of the Week since this morning when it was first posted.

If you've never finished the game... Let's just say that you're in for a big "what just happened" moment. :D

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ready for EA to add a load more in app purchases. EA about to ruin another game. RIP plants vs zombies.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It requires a Wifi connection to download. Nuts. Looking forward to playing it when I have a connection.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I've bought this game for PC, then on Steam for my Mac, on XBox Live, and for my iPhone. It's one of the greatest casual games ever, and still fun.

iOS version is fun, with cool achievements, but nothing beats the PC/Mac version with all the mini-games. "I, Zombie" is mad fun, I actually like it better than the main game!

Downloading the HD version for the iPad I don't own (future-proof).

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Ready for EA to add a load more in app purchases. EA about to ruin another game. RIP plants vs zombies.

Those have always been there (for as long as I've had the game anyway). And if you're patient - willing to accumulate in-game coins - you can get those extras for free... it's just that impatient people are given the option to buy in-game coins with real money. :D

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Those have always been there (for as long as I've had the game anyway). And if you're patient - willing to accumulate in-game coins - you can get those extras for free... it's just that impatient people are given the option to buy in-game coins with real money. :D
That's good to hear. I hate the games that force you to buy IAP in order to advance. I'm just in the process of teaching my kids to stay away from them. It is hard to differentiate between those that offer advancement via real money and those that require it.

Downloaded this today, I'll have to get the HD version tonight.

Portaluk

Oct 10, 2009
England
This game is brilliant and offers many hours of gameplay.

Even after completing the standard game plenty of stuff to unlock, loved the zen garden very hard work getting all the plants.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
It seems like the app crashes when you are on a jailbroken device and you have a different theme installed. That is just brilliant.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
literally starting this game for the billionth time from the beginning, it really does need icloud support

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
NO iPhone 5 support????

WHHYYYYYYYYYY :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Exactly. It kinda ruins it for me when a game is not optimized for iPad/iPhone5. I'm not a mobile developer, (but I do use C++ and Visual Basic) but what is really involved in optimizing a game for the iPhone 5 that couldn't be done when they updated for iOS 6 support?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I actually paid for this game and I want iP5 display support!

When it came out they didn't promise you that so don't complain.
Anyways, a sequel is in the works I believe so you can pay and get your retina gaming. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.