Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
I would like to ask a couple of questions about setting my MBP up securely. I am an older generation brand new to Mac user. I have been a pc user for about 25 years but strictly user only, never involved with how it was setup. As I read on the forum, I should not install any commercial av or spyware detection apps, so ok. But I am just not clear about security setup on my MBP.

I have a firewall setup on my ISP Westell 7500 router altho I think it is weak, I have been told that if you have that and then setup a secondary firewall on the Mac, that could cause problems. The other thing is that I am unclear about is what all to allow in incoming/outgoing connections. I am also however, paranoid, so can you offer some advice on this?

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
You need not be unduly concerned about your Mac. Unlike Windows, OSX doesn't suffer from virus attacks, and you do not need an anti-virus package installed. If as you say you are a little worried, ClamAV is available free from the Mac App store. Stay away from Mackeeper and similar applications which can actually cause more harm than good.

I have been using Mac's for years without a single issue, so relax and enjoy your new machine.:)

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
You need not be unduly concerned about your Mac. Unlike Windows, OSX doesn't suffer from virus attacks, and you do not need an anti-virus package installed. If as you say you are a little worried, ClamAV is available free from the Mac App store. Stay away from Mackeeper and similar applications which can actually cause more harm than good.

I have been using Mac's for years without a single issue, so relax and enjoy your new machine.:)

Thank you but I may not have been clear. I am not installing nor am interested in installing av or spyware apps. I am asking for advice/opinions on having both a firewall on my router and enabling it on my MBP.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I have firewall turned on in my router as well as on my Mac, no issues.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Also look at the Macworld article Don't get Apple picked: How to protect your Mac from theft in public places.

Lastly if you really want a really good 7 tested firewall the Unix side of OS x already has the ipfw that has been tested for over 20 years continually. Now you could configure ipfw via the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal or go with GUI ipfw controller NoobProof or if you really want to dive in quickly WaterRoof. IMHO a quick use of NoobProof is good when my Mac Book Pro visits public places is all that I use(along with a SSH tunnel back to my network).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I would like to ask a couple of questions about setting my MBP up securely. I am an older generation brand new to Mac user. I have been a pc user for about 25 years but strictly user only, never involved with how it was setup. As I read on the forum, I should not install any commercial av or spyware detection apps, so ok. But I am just not clear about security setup on my MBP.

I am also however, paranoid, so can you offer some advice on this?
It's fine to use both firewalls.

Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It is a good idea to use both the router and OS X firewall.

If you turn on the firewall and click on Firewall Options then set it up like in my screenshot, it is fairly transparent to the user. This will allow normal Internet usage and the only time you will have to intervene is if an unsigned app. wants to access the Internet. If you want to allow the unsigned app. access, you just approve it once and it gets added to the list you see I have shaded out.

screenshot22013831am.png

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
It is a good idea to use both the router and OS X firewall.

If you turn on the firewall and click on Firewall Options then set it up like in my screenshot, it is fairly transparent to the user. This will allow normal Internet usage and the only time you will have to intervene is if an unsigned app. wants to access the Internet. If you want to allow the unsigned app. access, you just approve it once and it gets added to the list you see I have shaded out.

Ok, I like this and it is certainly more than I have now. And looks like it would not prevent me from carrying on as a very simple user. If I check Enable Stealth Mode, would that stop my normal uses - mail, imessaging and web surfing?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ok, I like this and it is certainly more than I have now. And looks like it would not prevent me from carrying on as a very simple user. If I check Enable Stealth Mode, would that stop my normal uses - mail, imessaging and web surfing?

No, stealth mode won't interfere with normal usage.

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
I'm sorry but telling someone not to put an a/v or anti-malware program on a computer is like not wearing a condom when having NSA sex. In this age of computer usage you just don't use a computer connected to the internet without it. I don't care if you are using a mac and believe that it cannot happen to you. That virus you just downloaded when getting a movie from the pirate bay may not infect you computer but it may infect your friends computer if it get's passed on. Do the world a favor and use one.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm sorry but telling someone not to put an a/v or anti-malware program on a computer is like not wearing a condom when having NSA sex. In this age of computer usage you just don't use a computer connected to the internet without it. I don't care if you are using a mac and believe that it cannot happen to you. That virus you just downloaded when getting a movie from the pirate bay may not infect you computer but it may infect your friends computer if it get's passed on. Do the world a favor and use one.

Yeah, don't listen to those idiots posting above, they don't know anything. They have no experience or knowledge. Especially those ignoramuses Macman45 and GGJstudios...completely lacking in any useful knowledge!!:rolleyes:

As for your condom analogy...it would be closer to a useful analogy if you suggested using a condom while masturbating. Not totally useless, but totally unnecessary.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm sorry but telling someone not to put an a/v or anti-malware program on a computer is like not wearing a condom when having NSA sex. In this age of computer usage you just don't use a computer connected to the internet without it.
3rd party antivirus software provides absolutely no additional protection than is available simply by practicing safe computing. If you want to use it, fine. But it's not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free if you practice safe computing.
That virus you just downloaded when getting a movie from the pirate bay may not infect you computer but it may infect your friends computer if it get's passed on. Do the world a favor and use one.
I encourage you to read: What about sending files to Windows users? from the: Mac Virus/Malware FAQ.

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
3rd party antivirus software provides absolutely no additional protection than is available simply by practicing safe computing. If you want to use it, fine. But it's not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free if you practice safe computing.

I encourage you to read: What about sending files to Windows users? from the: Mac Virus/Malware FAQ.

Running anti-virus on your Mac to protect Windows users from malware is like covering your mouth when you cough in front of the kids, then sending them out without flu shots to a school where a flu epidemic is spreading like wildfire. Great! They might not catch anything from you, but you've left them vulnerable to the greater risk. It's wiser to make sure they have flu shots, so they're protected from infection, whether it be from you or from other people.

If you really want to help your Windows friends, encourage them to get their own anti-virus protection installed, or offer to install it for them.

This point has got to be the most stupid thing I have ever read. Who the **** wrote this and actually advocates this? Did they go to IIT Tech?

You all are the reasons why botnets and spam are such a huge problem.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This point has got to be the most stupid thing I have ever read. Who the **** wrote this and actually advocates this? Did they go to IIT Tech?

You all are the reasons why botnets and spam are such a huge problem.
Like the vast majority of Mac users, none of my Macs (without running 3rd party AV apps) have ever been involved in a botnet or spam. Your insistence that Mac users should run 3rd party AV apps reveals your lack of familiarity with their less-than-100% detection rates and the effectiveness of practicing safe computing. AV apps are not a "cure-all" or a viable substitute for practicing safe computing. In fact, the safe computing without AV apps provides better protection than any AV app provides without safe computing.

As for Windows users, it is completely accurate that they are at far greater risk of malware from sources other than receiving files from Mac users.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Like the vast majority of Mac users, none of my Macs (without running 3rd party AV apps) have ever been involved in a botnet or spam. Your insistence that Mac users should run 3rd party AV apps reveals your lack of familiarity with their less-than-100% detection rates and the effectiveness of practicing safe computing. AV apps are not a "cure-all" or a viable substitute for practicing safe computing. In fact, the safe computing without AV apps provides better protection than any AV app provides without safe computing.

As for Windows users, it is completely accurate that they are at far greater risk of malware from sources other than receiving files from Mac users.

Your patience with the poster above is quite remarkable.

Considering that the poster KNOWS he is RIGHT.

He KNOWS you, and others who have offered advice, are WRONG.

He, IMO, rudely asserts that your advice causes problems.

I acknowledge that this is really none of my business, but I've never let that bother me in the past. This is not a rational discussion that lends itself to reason, knowledge, and experience.

This is the proverbial stone wall against which you are beating your head in an attempt to impart some information...all to no effect. You are arguing with someone who knows THE TRUTH.

You have my sympathy...:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.