Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
An iWatch would have other capabilities. It isn't about screen real estate and definitely not about content consumption. The Jawbone Up is useful and it has no screen whatsoever. The iWatch would have much more functionality than that. The watch's purpose is for things the iPhone is too large for. It is too large to go on runs with you, too large to go swimming with, too awkward to carry with you at all times. The iWatch is not for texting or watching movies. It is for tracking your movements, for notifications, for instant login. It's purpose is to be a microchip strapped to your body.

I think those depend a lot on the individual, and if it's intentions are to fulfill those needs, then I fail to see the large market size. Personally, I never want or need a Jawbone Up (and I'm an active person). I can take my phone on runs and listen to music comfortably, whereas with a watch you'd need BT headphones. I would never take an electronic device swimming, and I don't think any of Apple's devices will be waterproof. I do carry my phone with me at all times, and don't find it at all awkward. In so far as the RFID functionality -- that's rife for abuse. Thief's already skim RFIDs for cards as-is.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I think those depend a lot on the individual, and if it's intentions are to fulfill those needs, then I fail to see the large market size. Personally, I never want or need a Jawbone Up (and I'm an active person). I can take my phone on runs and listen to music comfortably, whereas with a watch you'd need BT headphones. I would never take an electronic device swimming, and I don't think any of Apple's devices will be waterproof. I do carry my phone with me at all times, and don't find it at all awkward. In so far as the RFID functionality -- that's rife for abuse. Thief's already skim RFIDs for cards as-is.

Device based RFID is potentially much safer than card based RFID, since it only transmits when you tell it to.

RHD

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
London
I'd buy one so as not to get mugged for my iPhone while trying to use it on the streets in London. Plus I haven't had a wrist watch in a few years because there aren't many good designs around and I've got my phone to tell me the time.

All the early mobile phones I had were designed with a fitting (a hole basically) for a lanyard you could put round your wrist to make them harder to snatch. Or drop.
How hard is it to design a small hole into the metal ring part of the iPhone casing for a lanyard?

Find my iPhone only works if your phone was locked when it was snatched and if the police can be arsed to look for it.

Vinamra

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
IF at all this watch sees the light of day, and IF it does require a charge every other day, I HOPE Apple uses the lightening connector and not any 'even smaller proprietary cables'. Keeping so many cables would be a mess, to say the least!

As for personal opinions, I doubt I'd buy an Apple watch. I'm happy with my analog Citizen Eco-Drive.. Nothing too fancy.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Just found what I think the best story about the iWatch. With a mock up:

iwatch-render-closeup.jpg

The mock up is based on some Apple patents not necessarily for a watch and also based on the watch Johnny Ive's wears:

http://www.stuff.tv/news/apple-news/news-nugget/this-is-what-the-apple-iwatch-will-really-look-like

I think it's the best interpretation I've seen yet.

NeuroArtist

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
It reminds me so much of the pre iPod thread that everyone hated. This won't revolutionize watches, it's a watch that will revolutionize phones.

Yes, that is what I think as well. It will be a phone, that will allow you to answer in a bluetooth headset, an iPod touch, an iPad, your car hands free system, your laptop or desktop and/or if you don't happen to have any of these devices with you, you can put your wrist to your ear and take the call, you could put several sim cards in the watch straps for those that travel to other countries, have both a personal phone and work phone, it would have a 4g wifi network, covering 5 feet around the watch, to power all the equipment you have in your hands. It would make the iPhone obsolete. Probably it would have iPod nano capacity but with a smaller screen apart from the above. Standard casing titanium, but you could have it in platinum or gold also. Cheapest version $999, no contracts to any phone companies...

I don't know but i think wind up charging would be a cool feature, like turning an outer ring of the watch around to power a generator, but maybe the required effort to generate reasonable power would be to big and time consuming, but it may be a problem to charge the watch if you are out trekking etc...

Last edited:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Yes, that is what I think as well. It will be a phone, that will allow you to answer in a bluetooth headset, an iPod touch, an iPad, your car hands free system, your laptop or desktop and/or if you don't happen to have any of these devices with you, you can put your wrist to your ear and take the call, you could put several sim cards in the watch straps for those that travel to other countries, have both a personal phone and work phone, it would have a 4g wifi network, covering 5 feet around the watch, to power all the equipment you have in your hands. It would make the iPhone obsolete. Probably it would have iPod nano capacity but with a smaller screen apart from the above. Standard casing titanium, but you could have it in platinum or gold also. Cheapest version $999, no contracts to any phone companies....

I don't know but i think wind up charging would be a cool feature, like turning an outer ring of the watch around to power a generator, but maybe the required effort to generate reasonable power would be to big and time consuming, but it may be a problem to charge the watch if you are out trekking etc...

I don't think it will be a phone in and of itself. Watch phones have actually existed for a number of years. The problem is that, as bulky as these watch phones are, they still cannot fit a large enough battery in them to make it anything more than a novelty. And wind up charging is not going to appeal to most consumers.

NeuroArtist

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
I don't think it will be a phone in and of itself. Watch phones have actually existed for a number of years. The problem is that, as bulky as these watch phones are, they still cannot fit a large enough battery in them to make it anything more than a novelty. And wind up charging is not going to appeal to most consumers.

My watch (10 year old Casio Oceanus) weighs more than an iPhone 5 I think, it definitely weighs more than my simple Samsung dual SIM card phone, that lasts about a week on a charge, how about fitting the battery's in the watch strap links? Certainly I realize that it would use more juice if it is receiving and transmitting Internet on a regular basis, but maybe a five feet capable wifi/Bluetooth isn't going to zap it too much?

As for the wind up charging, yes you might be correct that it wouldn't appeal to most, but maybe it can have booth induction and wind up charging (of course that would add to the weight and size of the watch). Personally I wouldn't mind a watch that weighs 6-8 ounces or 150-200 grams, it is definitely a hassle when the phone is out of juice and you can't do a thing about it where you're at.

I would like to point out that I don't think the watch would be used as a phone primarily, for most people it would be the iPod touch, or a Bluetooth headphone used as a phone via the watch, but if you somehow don't have these available, then it would be useful to be able to use it as a handset...

Last edited:

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
My watch (10 year old Casio Oceanus) weighs more than an iPhone 5 I think, it definitely weighs more than my simple Samsung dual SIM card phone, that lasts about a week on a charge, how about fitting the battery in the watch strap links?

Confirmed!

Casio Oceanus Cachalot weight: 114 grams
Iphone 5 : 112 grams.

NeuroArtist

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
I bet the bicep on your watch arm is twice as big as your other bicep. :D

I have a couple of seiko watches that I love, but don't often wear because they are heavy.

Now I wonder how much they weigh.
My biceps are fairly equal, it is probably because I wear the watch on my left hand, and the right biceps I regularly exercise! :D

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I'd buy one so as not to get mugged for my iPhone while trying to use it on the streets in London.

Nah, you'll just get mugged for your iWatch. :D

Could be worse though. Wait until a couple weeks after Google Glass starts shipping to the mass market. People will be wearing them in public and.... YOINK! No mugging required, it just sits there on your head, easy to grab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.