Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I'd rather say they compete with the 13" Retina MacBook Pro due to the ultra "Pixel" display on the Pixel

Except it's not running a full desktop OS and has a quarter of the storage of the base model 13" rMBP. One wonders how many of these they'll sell. 5? 10? Maybe even 20? ;)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
lmao is this 2004? or targeted towards hipsters? and this aspect ratio ... disgusting. i thought this went extinct years ago

now u can get ultra high definition on an OS that has less to offer than i dont know, symbian and less space than a phone? what are they smoking

im curious to see how many fools are going to buy this

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Interesting video, but it still doesn't show what it really does.

That's the difference between Google and Apple marketing.

Yeah two smart engineers talking about their baby is interesting, but show me what it can do for me...

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Think Glass might be a little more worth my time...

It says Google but who is really making this? They've all been samsung in the past.

Also what happens when you can't get online with these machines. Do they work even a little bit offline.

I can't see it having access to the tools to take advantage of that display fully - making it hard to justify the price tag.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
$1,300

Tim Cook Responds

Apple-CEO-Calls-Greenlight-Suit-A-Silly-Side-Show-2.jpg

timcooklaughing.jpg

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
They should really fire the industrial designers who designed this. It's ugly.

Additionally, this is more so competition for the rMBP as it is heavily emphasizing its pixel density.

And what's with that aspect ratio!?

EDIT - Oh, and what's with that video. Did the Apple commercial people also do this one? I mean sheesh!

AND! Who the hell wants to touch their laptop screen? Mine gets dirty enough as it is with me breathing 15in away from it!

//done bashing

JamesInLA

macrumors member
May 28, 2012
Wait ... I can spend more than a MacBook Air, and get a laptop that by the looks of it is bigger and heavier, and doesn't have all my stuff on it?

Why wouldn't I just jump at the chance?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Who green-lit this product? All it will do is help Apple sell more Macs and even iPads

$999 for an 11" Air with a full-fledged OS plus USB3/TB vs $1500 for a glorified browser...hmm...

Even the base 13" retina has more value. You get a faster CPU, twice the RAM and SSD, USB3, TB, BT4.0, Retina screen, and a full fledged OS for $1500...possibly cheaper if you go the refurb route.

Last edited:

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K

Yeah two smart engineers talking about their baby is interesting, but show me what it can do for me...

While I kind of agree with you here, have you not see the latest Glass Video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1uyQZNg2vE

It's all about using the product. It's not like it's a signature Google failure. At least they showed the product (ps4...).

JamesInLA

macrumors member
May 28, 2012
... and regardless of the size/weight/price/resolution/aspect ratio ...

An operating system that requires an always-on connection, and has indeterminate offline availability of stuff, is the answer to a question asked by ... whom, exactly?

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
They didn't show what it does because it can't do anything.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
The Guardian and BBC are reporting that it has a touchscreen. That goes some way to explaining the rather eye-watering price tag.

phenoplastic

macrumors member
May 30, 2010
I'd like to see someone try to use this, or any of the other 'macbook air competitors' for live sound processing and music performance. That's what I use my 'old' 2011 MBA for, and it doesn't ever break into a sweat. I wish people would see that there's more to the MBA than a pretty and lightweight face.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.