Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agitoTech

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2012
LastPass... Free for Computer use... If you want to use the mobile version "LastPass Pro" $12 a year.

murrayE

macrumors member
May 4, 2011
Recommended: 1Password

I currently use http://www.keepassx.org KeyPass on windows, but the mac port is well, kind of ugly. I'm not above spending a few bucks, though I think 1Pass is too pricey. Anybody have/use anything else?

I agree about the port of KeePass, at least the one compatible with KeePass 1.x. (I couldn't get the KeePass 2 port to run at all, despite first running XQuartz and having installed the requisite Mono framework via macports.)

I do recommend 1Password. I especially like that it has a free browser plug-in and that it is well integrated with the (separate, $18) 1Password app for iPhone/iPad, which you sync with the Mac version by wi-fi.

FoxFifth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
LastPass... Free for Computer use... If you want to use the mobile version "LastPass Pro" $12 a year.

Another happy LastPass user -- and if you decide to go with the Premium version the $12 per year includes all of your devices.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I use LastPass and except for the occasional glitch, it works well. My wife & I share a single account using identities so our individual stuff stays separate.

daveham

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
I started using Dashlane a few months ago. I've told everyone about it - my whole family is hooked. It's free on desktop and mobile. I almost feel bad for not buying premium, but I probably will at some point.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Password managers?

Can someone give me some advice on Password managers?

How do they work?

Are they safe

Should I use a separate one for bank accounts and internet forums?

Recommend one for me or are there free ones that I should trust or use only paid ones?

Last edited:

FoxFifth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I use and like LastPass. It is free although they have a Premium version for $12 per year that allows you to also use it on mobile devices such as iPhone and iPad. I haven't used 1Password but I see a lot of recommendations for it here. It has a free 30 day trial and I believe there is then a charge for each device. More details on both: http://lastpass.com/index.php

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/mac

You don't need a different manager for different types of accounts (banks, forums); one manager allows you to store different passwords for each site. You just need to remember one password (which should be relatively complex and secure) to access the password manager which stores the other passwords in an encrypted form; once you have opened the manager using your password it can then fill in the password and username for you on individual websites. They include other features such as storing other encrypted notes, credit card information for use on websites, generating complex secure passwords.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
OS X includes a password manager called Keychain. Although some of the after market PW managers have additional features, is there something you need/want that Keychain won't do for you.

If you just need to remember forum/website passwords, Keychain does that just fine.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Can someone give me some advice on Password managers?

How do they work?

Are they safe

Should I use a separate one for bank accounts and internet forums?

Recommend one for me or are there free ones that I should trust or use only paid ones?

Hi, I use 1Password myself and I put together an article that explains why password managers are a good idea, and specifically how 1Password works.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
OS X includes a password manager called Keychain. Although some of the after market PW managers have additional features, is there something you need/want that Keychain won't do for you.

If you just need to remember forum/website passwords, Keychain does that just fine.

I'm wanting to create better more secure passwords for bank accounts, etc without having to remember all of them.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Hi, I use 1Password myself and I put together an article that explains why password managers are a good idea, and specifically how 1Password works.

Great article. It looks like a great application and has been one of the higher recommended ones I've read about. Unfortunately its expensive to try it out without knowing how it works. Take for instance I was trying out a password manager "LassPass" which was highly recommended and free for most of the services but I found it to be very confusing to set up and did not understand how it worked. Even though it came recommended I did not like the interface and could not navigate my way around it so I deleted it.

This is where I'm at right now. 1Password looks like something I'd want to see more of but its hard without forking over some money to see if I'd like it.

I'm a little torn.

----------

Keychain will generate strong passwords for you and remember them.

I did not know this, I'll give it a look.

I did just take a look at it. But it appears there would be problems when you use 2-3 different computers.

Last edited:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I'm wanting to create better more secure passwords for bank accounts, etc without having to remember all of them.
Color me an old geezer but I'm not comfortable with password abilities embedded in my browser. (No matter how secure they purport to be).

I simply keep a list of everything in a textedit file. This includes financial account numbers, logins and even screen shots. This textedit file is stored in an encrypted 500mb DMG volume along with some other sensitive documents. I open the DMG with a lengthy password once, the rest is handled via spotlight and good old copy 'n paste. A shutdown, logoff or "eject" will close the DMG file.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Color me an old geezer but I'm not comfortable with password abilities embedded in my browser. (No matter how secure they purport to be).

I simply keep a list of everything in a textedit file. This includes financial account numbers, logins and even screen shots. This textedit file is stored in an encrypted 500mb DMG volume along with some other sensitive documents. I open the DMG with a lengthy password once, the rest is handled via spotlight and good old copy 'n paste. A shutdown, logoff or "eject" will close the DMG file.

This is sort of what I have been using for 7-8 years. Maybe not as secure but similar.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
This is sort of what I have been using for 7-8 years. Maybe not as secure but similar.
Why isn't it secure?

Besides, I'd say going 7-8 years without having men in dark suits show up on your porch or you going to the poor house is a pretty good testimonial regarding security.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Yep 1Password makes an iOS App for iPad and Apples other iOS devices, that can be synced with each other and the OS X App. I suggest you buy OS X App from the developers website as you will get the upcoming V4 OS X app for free when it is released. They also do a Windows Version as well.

I downloaded the free trial and was pretty easy to set up but still getting acquainted with it though. I first wanted to try one website I log into to see how it all worked, I then let it create a password for me and changed the password on the site and saved with the newly created one from 1Password. It worked out pretty good.

Although as soon as I changed the password on my MBP, it wouldn't let me log in on my iPHone 5 and thats when I realized I'd need some syncing or an iOS app that does this for me.

I appears the iOS app is $17.99, is that in addition to the $49 for the OSX version? You mention that there is a free iOS app but don't see it. I really need this app to be wife friendly as she is totally against using some application like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.