Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Eh. I think that's a matter of opinion more than any solid objective fact. There are tons of people out there getting used to Win8 touchscreen laptops who went from skeptical and unsure to loving the feature, and missing it when it's not around.

My opinion? I could take or leave raw touchscreen support. What I want is an onscreen digitizer.

A lot of the W8 laptops have detachable screens making them much much more user friendly.

dpruitt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Wow.. just wow!

Wow. This is great!! I mean, I've always wanted a laptop where I can touch a sun and some stars. This is about all you can do on this thing, right?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I simply cannot see the appeal of a touchscreen on a vertical display. A multi-touch trackpad or mouse combined with a keyboard should be much more efficient to use than a touchscreen, especially when I have to lift my hands from the controls every time just to touch the screen, and only incidentally for specific features to make it ergonomically practical. A touchscreen absolutely makes sense on a smartphone or tablet, because it is generally the only means of controlling the device for the benefit of portability and ease of use, and they are actually designed for it. Adding a touchscreen to a laptop seems like an added gimmick to me, which is probably one of the reasons why this thing is so ridiculously expensive with the other hardware, and especially software, it offers. I must be getting old. :eek:
See, now, this is what I want. Just with an actual OS. The touchscreen isn't replacing the keyboard, it's an alternative. I would love to be able to highlight a line with my finger rather than a mouse, esp when discussing whatever is onscreen with another person. And a hundred other reasons for occasional touch input. 98% of the time, keyboard and mouse would be used.

However....$1300 for ChromeOS? It's like their chief competitor is the iPad (with a keyboard added). Somebody call me when this becomes a hackintosh.

luv2seaters

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
Yet another APPLE COPY

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

No wonder Steve Jobs was mad at google They copy everything APPLE
Fortunatly this is a piss poor copy at a high price I cannot imagine anyone wanting this overpriced Apple CLONE with limited features

Just look at Samsung phones before the Iphone,then after the iPhone
Oddly before they were ugly messes Then after the iphone they were a complete clone

I hope Apple sues them both and wins

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy
"The best possible computer" ... it's called Macintosh, I guess. Too late Google ;).

But nonetheless, competition is good for the customer.
The Mac lineup is great. The design is perfect and I really love it and I am proud to be able to use a piece of Jony Ive's imagination everyday.

But I think it is time for something new. After 5 years I want to learn one more design facet of Jony Ive (and his Team).
The iMac G4 or the original iMac communicated also fun through their design. The lamp design wasn't necessary as well as the translucent iMac body from 1998, but Apple did them because they looked great and were cool.

Today, every unnecessary element left. That's great, that's the school of Zen and also of the modern Apple, but maybe...

There is no need for a radical design change but something friendly and surprising would be great. Now is the time.

I don't like Google and I'll never use an Android device or a Chromebook, but just this light-effect on the display lid ... it looks great.

b0nd18t

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
I feel like I can finally join in on the bashing at this site. This is THE STUPIDEST computer Ive seen released in my life I think. I have to think they have something coming for it to have it make even a little sense.

$1300
5 hours battery
No real OS
No USB 3
32GB storage
Web isnt made for high density displays
Knockoff design
Knockoff marketing
No way to put the Core i5 power to use
Poor touch performance

Have you used a Windows 8 computer yet?

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Yes, I still doubt that Apple will release a retina Macbook Air in 2013. Did you look at the Chromebook? The thickness of the device? I don't believe we've reached a point where Apple can release an Air with retina while not compromising its thickness. Don't get me wrong though, we're not that far away, but I don't think we'll see it this year. Although I'd be pleasantly surprised if that would be the case.

Yes, definitely a thick device.

I do not think we are at the point where a thin laptop such as the Air can handle such a high resolution. But Intel Haswell, with its power-saving abilities, may be just what Apple needs to release a retina Air without making it thicker. Or perhaps the IGZO displays from Sharp...

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
You can make fun of it all you want, but it looks at the very least to be a solidly built product on par with what Apple puts out.

That depends on what you consider to be the product. I would consider the combination of OS and hardware to be the product, in which case this is in absolutely no way comparable to what Apple puts out.

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
There's little aspects taken from Apple's MacBook Pro which you can see all over this device. Unfortunately the boxiness of this laptop makes it appear poorly executed. It reminds me of an old Dell laptop.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
This has to be a joke right?
Google must be on crack to believe people would actually pay that kind of money for a glorified web browser.
Chrome OS has its place... on cheap hardware.
This is overkill for the sake of a hi res screen.

FYI... those complaining about its thickness, it's as thick as an Air (at it's thickest point), it just doesn't taper.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
This competes with the Macbook Air?

I don't think so. The specs are somewhere in between an Air and a Retina Pro and the touch screen is interesting.

But with Chrome OS, this competes with nothing. Even with a useful OS its hard to see this being a successful product. I don't see why they bothered.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Everyone is missing the point on why this is so expensive...

You are paying for the 1tb for 3 years. Google currently charges $50 per month for that amount. So for 3 years that is $1800! So essentially you get the laptop for free...

Problem is your average customer will not care one bit... this is niche product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.