Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
USA
www.net10data.com

Their official statement from the linked site:

Effective March 1, 2013, your NET10 Wireless Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP™) AT&T-compatible SIM will be limited to 1.5GB of high speed data usage per 30 day period on the Unlimited plan. Any redemption made prior to March 1st will not be affected by this policy.

The NET10 30-Day Unlimited Airtime Card that you add to your phone will indicate unlimited data; however with an ATT compatible SIM (A- dark blue or B- light blue) you will only receive 1.5GB of data for that 30 day period. You can choose the T-Mobile (TMO) compatible SIM (C-pink) that was included in your package if you prefer to receive Unlimited* 4GƗ data. Please visit our website for instructions on determining if you have TMO compatible service in your area, activating the TMO SIM and transferring your telephone number.

In the event that you cannot locate your TMO SIM, NET10 Wireless will provide a onetime free replacement TMO SIM in TMO compatible areas. Please go to net10data.com or call 888-805-5895

Please visit our net10data.com site to learn how you can save data usage by accessing Wi-Fi sites and closing applications not in use that consume data.

I don't use anywhere near 1.5GB per month, but some of you do. If you're one of them and TMO is a no-go in your area, then you might want to start looking over your other options.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Since Net10 and Straight Talk are different brands from the same company, I think we'll be seeing the same announcement from Straight Talk shortly.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I'm actually ok with that. For once we'll actually get a clear answer on what their limit is.

I agree. Plus these plans with 1.5 GB of data still cost less than similar plans with only 1GB from AT&T GoPhone, Red Pocket, or Airvoice.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I'm actually ok with that. For once we'll actually get a clear answer on what their limit is.

I agree. Plus these plans with 1.5 GB of data still cost less than similar plans with only 1GB from AT&T GoPhone, Red Pocket, or Airvoice.

exactly! I was seriously thinking about switching me and my wife to Straight Talk over Christmas but backed out due to the unclear data policy. Just tell us how much we can use, even it it's 500MB. But like bohbot said, 1.5GB is still a better data allotment than all other AT&T MVNO's.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Question to anyone that may know:

On ST, if I got the 6 month card, do ST reset my data every month? Because its obvious that I'm going to go over 1.5 to 2 GB in 6 months. I just didn't want to pay for a 6 month card and get throttled 5 out of 6 months.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Question to anyone that may know:

On ST, if I got the 6 month card, do ST reset my data every month? Because its obvious that I'm going to go over 1.5 to 2 GB in 6 months. I just didn't want to pay for a 6 month card and get throttled 5 out of 6 months.

Straight Talk seems to throttle based on per-day and per-month usage, but not longer than that. A 6 month card is the same as 6 1 month cards in terms of the service you get.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I'm happy that AT&T is doing this for their MNVOs. Hopefully, they do the same for Straightalk too.

It preserves their network for the people who actually pay $$$ for their service.

There is no reason why AT&T should allow data abusers to be on cheaper MNVOs and take away bandwidth from their post-paid users.

T-Mobile and Sprint are willing to rent out their network for any crap MNVO out there (Virgin, Solavei, etc) and look what's happened. Network quality is complete junk.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I'm happy that AT&T is doing this for their MNVOs. Hopefully, they do the same for Straightalk too.

It preserves their network for the people who actually pay $$$ for their service.

There is no reason why AT&T should allow data abusers to be on cheaper MNVOs and take away bandwidth from their post-paid users.

T-Mobile and Sprint are willing to rent out their network for any crap MNVO out there (Virgin, Solavei, etc) and look what's happened. Network quality is complete junk.

AT&T owns a significant portion of both Tracfone and their parent company America Movil, so AT&T's position is probably more along the lines of "Let's profit off the competition by underselling their service while charging extra for ours" than "We should really preserve this network for our cheerful customers".

Last edited:

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
USA
They need to stop advertising their plan as "Unlimited" Data now...
Unlimited talk & text, 1.5GB Data >>> $50

It only effects their customers with AT&T compatible SIMs, but those are no longer available through their website.

Straight Talk and Net10 are both pushing new BYOP customers to T-Mobile which is still unlimited.

jackwills

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
New York, NY
It only effects their customers with AT&T compatible SIMs, but those are no longer available through their website.

Straight Talk and Net10 are both pushing new BYOP customers to T-Mobile which is still unlimited.

I can still buy AT&T net10 sim on eBay or amazon for really cheap price as low as .99$ ST said the AT&T sims are gonna come bk when I call them yesterday..
T-mobile in my area really suck, must go with the AT&T one...

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan

I'm glad I got ATT sim when I did. It seems to have been discontinued about a week after I got it. I'm not sure why NET10 and ST are pushing people towards T-Mobile. Coverage still sucks more places than it doesn't.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I'm glad I got ATT sim when I did. It seems to have been discontinued about a week after I got it. I'm not sure why NET10 and ST are pushing people towards T-Mobile. Coverage still sucks more places than it doesn't.

I suspect that the T-Mobile plan is more profitable for them.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado

That depends on location as it does with every carrier. For me, T-Mobile has the best coverage and highest data speeds ranging from 17-21-Mbps where Verizon has no 3G coverage where I live and I dropped calls and AT&Ts data is almost as bad with no dropped calls.

It is impossible for a carrier to be the perfect carrier for everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.