Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Interesting that the screen is 4:3, and not a wider aspect ratio.

Whether or not this turns out to be the product that Google wants it to be, I'm glad the prices of high-resolution displays are coming down.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
On the Pixel's site it says that leading laptops have 118 pixels/inch....:eek:

I think Pixel needs the i5 processor to run all the pre-installed tracking cookies, so google can sell your every move.:D

This must be the most expensive portable billboard ever made.:D

M

Mr.damien

Everyone is missing the point on why this is so expensive...

You are paying for the 1tb for 3 years. Google currently charges $50 per month for that amount. So for 3 years that is $1800! So essentially you get the laptop for free...

Problem is your average customer will not care one bit... this is niche product.

50$ a month. Wow. It's almost the price of a 1TB disk.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Eh. I think that's a matter of opinion more than any solid objective fact. There are tons of people out there getting used to Win8 touchscreen laptops who went from skeptical and unsure to loving the feature, and missing it when it's not around.

My opinion? I could take or leave raw touchscreen support. What I want is an onscreen digitizer.

Agreed. Touchscreens aren't viable yet as the ONLY input device for day-to-day computing. The Surface is a great example of this, try to use the Surface without the Touch Cover or Type Cover and you quickly get frustrated, especially if you're trying to use Microsoft Office.

But as an additional input method, to augment the trackpad and mouse, it's actually really intuitive. I was skeptical too until I tried it. Now I'm very, very close to buying a Lenovo Yoga. But the more research I do, the more I realize how much a digitizer and stylus could be handy too. Now I'm seriously exploring the "pull apart" tablet/laptop combinations that offer stylus support, like the upcoming Thinkpad Helix.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
This is for those who looked at the Surface Pro and have been waiting for a more overpriced, fewer-featured, less capable piece of crap.
So you're calling a MacBook Air a piece of crap?

Because from a "feature" perspective (touchscreen, Wacom pen, higher res display), the Surface Pro offers more than what you get with the Air.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Everyone is missing the point on why this is so expensive...

You are paying for the 1tb for 3 years. Google currently charges $50 per month for that amount. So for 3 years that is $1800! So essentially you get the laptop for free...

Problem is your average customer will not care one bit... this is niche product.

I don't trust Google's cloud with all my data. Heck, I stopped using gmail.

ixat

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Fully secure OS???

Expensive web-heavy OS which really lacks significant adoption in marketplace to make it worthwhile. Not to mention, secure.

There's a reason my company doesn't allow Andriod-based and other not-fully-secure OS's in our office.

Wait, so what OS do you use? You do realize NO OS is fully secure, right?

mcgruff

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
The Next "Q"?

Brought to you by the same folks who gave us the Nexus Q. How long did that last? Two months? Perhaps the key is their tagline "For what's next" since this $1300 price tag certainly makes no sense "for what's now". Maybe they have a real OS up their sleeve for this thing. Android on a laptop? Who can say? But ChromeOS is a bad joke @ this price point.

alexN350z

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2011
Even though they didn't directly copy Apple products, but they copy Apple's marketing strategy. If Apple release a new product, they will match with similar thing.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Does anyone else think the Google's OS will eventually take the place of Windows?

1. Its free
2. Android will merge with it. PC / smartphone integration (just like ios)
4. Google's cloud integration
5. App store, for purchasing media and software apps.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
That depends on what you consider to be the product. I would consider the combination of OS and hardware to be the product, in which case this is in absolutely no way comparable to what Apple puts out.

Not sure why people are saying this looks good. To me it looks like a fake display model you'd see in a furniture store. And when closed the back looks hideous. No way on par with a MacBook.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
I'll be honest, it looks really really cool. Would I spend $1300 on it? No :(

k2director

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
God, Google has become as shameless of copying Apple as Microsoft has.

I can't believe those two guys could sit in front of the camera with a straight face, as if what they were doing was actually original.

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2009
List of reasons why this laptop won't take off
  1. Price
  2. Always-On internet connection
  3. Wifi 1299
  4. LTE 1499

Need anymore reason why it won't work?

Although I'll give you that 1tb of online storage space is tempting but if you are already on a tight budget you probably can't afford to stream 1tb of data per month (oh did it only mention that it includes on three months of storage, after that you got to pay). And as much as there are web apps, you just really can't replace the desktop apps. Even with Google Drive where I can create documents, more advanced features aren't there yet, some features you just can't export to the web as hard as you might try.

The price is expensive, yes, but Chrome OS hasn't required an 'always-on' Internet connection for quite a long time now.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Do you really think iCloud is more secure?

I think he's implying that Google's primary business is advertising - Apple's is selling Hardware and Software. So that alone makes iCloud more secure.

I'm pretty sure I read in some article that Google have the right to sell on data from Google Drive - something to do with T&C'S I could be wrong but I seem to remember reading that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.