Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
TOuch screen, LTE, Gorilla Glass. Exact CPU model is not known but it's probably newer than the one in MBA.

So other than the display, it "may" have a better processor, probably doesn't though.

It costs more than a macbook Air has the display features you mention and has less storage and it can't run anything other than chrome and google apps.

The two products are not even comparable.

The only thing this could be comparable to is the Surface Pro.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Sure. But that's hardly puts them in the same position as Google.

When did I say they were in the same position. I argued with the poster because he made it out that Apple wasn't interested in advertising - only hardware and software.

I then responded to your comment "I've never seen any indication that Apple would love to be in the advertising business. "

iAds isn't the advertising business?

It most definitely is.

richardw

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011
List of reasons why this laptop won't take off
  1. Price
  2. Always-On internet connection
  3. Wifi 1299
  4. LTE 1499

I'd say lack of retail presence, although we've recently heard that Google is working on that too.

Although I'd agree that this is currently very poor value for money, where does this end for Google? I don't see them giving up on taking a meaningful amount of the desktop space without spending a considerable amount of effort trying. Some cause for concern from Apple and MS.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
But I want to be able to run apps without an internet connection. Web apps don't make sense.

In general

http://www.zdnet.com/yes-you-can-use-the-new-chromebook-offline-7000006103/

Offline mode for Google Drive

http://support.google.com/chromeos/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2809731

Chrome OS apps can have offline modes also. That's one use of the local SSD. The intended primary mode is meant to be online but Offline mode can work for most of these apps also. Epsecially if add a decent CPU and can store local copies temporarily.

I want native apps that upload to the cloud automatically in addition to saving locally. I want the best of both worlds, which is what the iPad currently gives me.

the "automatic cloud upload" isn't going to work well if not connected most of the time.

There are certain kinds of apps that don't lend themselves to javascript ( e.g. 3D shooter games ) but for most Office and information applications it isn't that big of a leap.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Holy f... $1400 ultrabook with half @55 web based OS? Really dude?

Hell retina MBP especially the 13" is already terribly overpriced as it is, but this?!!

There's no reason I'm going to choose this over the 13" retina MBP.

No need for touch, just make a great built-in trackpad. I don't want that shiny display smudged either.

$1499 13" rMBP comes with 128GB ssd, full fledged OS X, full featured apps, and it runs Bootcamp if one really wants to.

The perks of whatever GoGo (limited) free sessions and 3 years of 1TB cloud storage is a funny fart subscriptions. I'd rather get 1TB external that lasts longer, more secure, and need no internet access.
I'm all in for Apple's competition but please, make a good one.

Well F U Google for creating this junk.

flipperfeet

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA
Larry Ellison called....

He would like you to return his network computer to him in 1995 or begin paying Oracle royalties.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Computer

jcaramanica

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
Don't get me wrong, I have a MacBook Pro, Apple TV 3rd gen. and an iPhone 4S but the one thing I can't stand about "Apple fans" is the fact that they think anything that is not Apple isn't even worth trying. Yeah, Apple is a good company, but I mean seriously, their products are nothing revolutionary anymore, their software is nothing new and their computers honestly aren't even that spectacular. you realize that after you own a Mac for about a month. Also all the comments complaining about the price? Have you seen Apple's prices? Certainly not worth the hardware, and the software.

kzin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2005
a touch screen on a laptop isn't really that useful.
it needs to be a convertible tablet/laptop to be interesting.

And ... chrome os on a $1300 device? yeah, that's a recipe for profit.

If it had chrome as the base OS, but could also run Android and/or Ubuntu on top of it (even just via VMware)... with a convertible tablet/laptop format, all for under $500? that would be interesting.

This isn't.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Don't get me wrong, I have a MacBook Pro, Apple TV 3rd gen. and an iPhone 4S but the one thing I can't stand about "Apple fans" is the fact that they think anything that is not Apple isn't even worth trying. Yeah, Apple is a good company, but I mean seriously, their products are nothing revolutionary anymore, their software is nothing new and their computers honestly aren't even that spectacular. you realize that after you own a Mac for about a month. Also all the comments complaining about the price? Have you seen Apple's prices? Certainly not worth the hardware, and the software.

Any sane human would agree that Apple's pricing scheme is by no means rationale. Even fanboys admit that.

But this Chromeboom Pixel is even more exorbitant than what Apple does. $1450, for 64GB of storage and already-available retina display?

This makes a retina MBP looks really really a wholesale bargain (while it's not)

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
The real question needing to be asked is, "why is Google producing so much hardware when they are clearly and admittedly *not* a hardware (or software) company?" They have no intention of seriously competing with the likes of Apple or Sony or Samsung, so why are they doing this?

It's all about reporting back to Google what you do on these devices and selling that information on to those who want to manipulate *you* psychologically into thinking you absolutely and utterly can't survive (physically or socially) without possessing their company's latest widget *right now*.

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
This is insulting

I wish Google would Just stop with all of this. It comes across as extremely arrogant to me On its face. But since we're supposedly dealing with the world's greatest geniuses Then I imagine it's not so simple. The only way it makes sense to me Is if they are using it As a marketing ploy To Fool the unthinking masses Into believing they are something They are not. I guess they are trying to buy time while they actually try to create something worth something. No person in their right mind Would fall for this BS.

And by the way... Did you notice How they completely copy Apple with the style of their video. It reeks of a company they can't do anything but copy. They are blatantly trying to fool people into thinking they are on the same caliber with Apple Which is purely false. No wonder Steve Jobs wanted to take em down...

I.Love.Apple

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
So other than the display, it "may" have a better processor, probably doesn't though.

It costs more than a macbook Air has the display features you mention and has less storage and it can't run anything other than chrome and google apps.

The two products are not even comparable.

The only thing this could be comparable to is the Surface Pro.

Touch screen is not "display". Display is what is used for rendering the picture. Touch screen is a physically different element on top of the display. And it is a big difference. Also, part of the Pixel spec is a free 1TB of cloud storage for 3 years (which costs at least $1200 in Apple dollars).

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
it's a great device. you guys should try it!

some complain about having to pay for the 1tb storage after three years. all i can say is, in three years 1tb is the free default size.

and widescreen is bad for web. watch the nexus screens follow suit.

Hey Eric,

I have a beauttiful parcel of swamp land that I can sell you. The price is only $12.5B. I will even through in a bridge.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Go to c|net, Engadget, the Verge, ArsTechnica, etc. and lots of people who aren't Apple fans are dumping on this. And the rest of your comments...well they just gave me a good laugh.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
one thing I can't stand about "Apple fans" is the fact that they think anything that is not Apple isn't even worth trying.

Lol, you think it's just Apple fans? You could replace the word Apple with Android, Windows/PC/etc, virtually any other tech company, just about every car company etc and it would be just as true. Apple fans are no worse.

I.Love.Apple

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Touch screen is not "display". Display is what is used for rendering the picture. Touch screen is a physically different element on top of the display. And it is a big difference. Also, part of the Pixel spec is a free 1TB of cloud storage for 3 years (which costs at least $1200 in Apple dollars).

On second thought...

iCloud comes at $100 for 55GB per year. To get 1TB for 3 years with iCloud one would have to pay $5454. As usual, Google gives out stuff for free. This Pixel is the best bargain around.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I loved this!

Has an incredible screen. 239 ppi, (mbp 13 is 227 and 15 is 220) Great!!!
- Can I work with pictures in it? Mmmmm no.

Picasa http://picasa.google.com/

Adobe http://www.photoshop.com/tools

- Can I watch HD movies from iTunes or any other store? no.

Like from Netflix or Hulu ?

http://blogs.computerworld.com/laptops/21180/new-samsung-chromebook-netflix

- Can I play awesome HD games? No

Depends upon whether 3D or not. But yeah shoot , bang , bang and loud noises ? Probably not.

Is this going to make Window or iOS go away? No. Does it have alot more potential that folks are making out? Yes.

X38

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
Interesting concept - instead of buying a laptop and having to infect it with Google's spyware yourself, just buy a Google machine with the spyware pre-installed by the manufacturer.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
When did I say they were in the same position. I argued with the poster because he made it out that Apple wasn't interested in advertising - only hardware and software.

I then responded to your comment "I've never seen any indication that Apple would love to be in the advertising business. "

iAds isn't the advertising business?

It most definitely is.

But that doesn't count. :D

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels

But what exactly could you do with this thing that would justify putting down $1300? A $250 Chromebook to do basic web tasks is a decent value proposition. This isn't

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.