Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
"Android and will change whenever something better comes. I dont have a favorite OS"

You contradicted yourself in the very sentence before you posted 'I dont have a favorite OS' :p

iOS is built with apps in mind rather than any kind of file system. It's not dumb, just different. The idea is that apps manage their own files. Unless you hundreds of different video apps, it's not going to be hard to know which ones have which stored in them.

Yes, we know how iOS file system works. They say this way is more safe and all, but lets call things the way they truly are.

This is something stupid. Why iOS fans argue about this? Its really nonsense.

If this were the case with another OS like windows mobile, Symbian or whatever, you people would say its dumb and probably change to another OS, but because its from Apple and its your favorite OS then you say its not that big of a deal.

Lets be realistic and unbiased. 99 out of 100 normal people will say that way of managing files is stupid, because it is!

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Lets be realistic and unbiased. 99 out of 100 normal people will say that way of managing files is stupid, because it is!

You seriously have that part wrong. Make it "99 out of 100 geeks will say that way of managing files is stupid, because it is!" and you have a point.
Sinking the file system is a key part of Apples attempt to take away the "geeky elitism" from technology, and put it in the hands of "normal people"

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
You seriously have that part wrong. Make it "99 out of 100 geeks will say that way of managing files is stupid, because it is!" and you have a point.
Sinking the file system is a key part of Apples attempt to take away the "geeky elitism" from technology, and put it in the hands of "normal people"

85% of the normal people have PCs and Macs at home or use them at work........ Do we seriously think they dont know how to use the most basic feature of any OS nowadays which is the file system?

C'mon now seriously. Who are using iphones? People from the 60s?? Iphone was released on what 2005? File systems existed long before that and everyone knew how to used them!

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
85% of the normal people have PCs and Macs at home or use them at work........ Do we seriously think they dont know how to use the most basic feature of any OS nowadays which is the file system?

C'mon now seriously. Who are using iphones? People from the 60s?? Iphone was released on what 2005? File systems existed long before that and everyone knew how to used them!

Seriously, 85% of the people - geeks or otherwise - don't do anything with their smartphones that requires access to the filesystem (insert standard but true part about Angry Birds and Facebook here). Right now, I carry an Android and an iOS device in my pocket. I consider the iOS device the "serious" one that I actually do work with -- I can certainly see where other people might be the opposite. Over the course of the next year or so that I plan to keep the Android device, I'll see just how much advantage I might gain from it's more direct access to it's file system. Should be interesting. :p

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Anyways back to the topic on hand. The HTC One is a compelling device that is starting off this year with a bang. I'm leaning towards the Oppo5,HTC One, and whatever Samsung brings out. If Samsung brings out another plastic Amoled behemoth, it will be between the 5 and One for me.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Anyways back to the topic on hand. The HTC One is a compelling device that is starting off this year with a bang. I'm leaning towards the Oppo5,HTC One, and whatever Samsung brings out. If Samsung brings out another plastic Amoled behemoth, it will be between the 5 and One for me.

Im gonna wait till summer to see the keynotes of Android 5.0 and iOS 7. I always decide after seeing both keynotes, so I have an idea of what will be best for next year.

I always prioritize software to hardware.

Seriously, 85% of the people - geeks or otherwise - don't do anything with their smartphones that requires access to the filesystem (insert standard but true part about Angry Birds and Facebook here). Right now, I carry an Android and an iOS device in my pocket. I consider the iOS device the "serious" one that I actually do work with -- I can certainly see where other people might be the opposite. Over the course of the next year or so that I plan to keep the Android device, I'll see just how much advantage I might gain from it's more direct access to it's file system. Should be interesting. :p

So, by your logic, maybe 85% of the people - geeks or otherwise - dont need cameras on their phones, so lets take that away too. They also dont need Siri, so lets take it away too, etc, etc, etc.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Yes, we know how iOS file system works. They say this way is more safe and all, but lets call things the way they truly are.

This is something stupid. Why iOS fans argue about this? Its really nonsense.

If this were the case with another OS like windows mobile, Symbian or whatever, you people would say its dumb and probably change to another OS, but because its from Apple and its your favorite OS then you say its not that big of a deal.

It makes no difference to me who makes the device. I just don't need a file system on my phone.

If I did need one I'd get something else rather than keep using a device I didn't like; that would be silly.

I find that the app-centric method causes me no difficulties.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I honestly loved the iPhone 5 hardware. Device wise its fantastic. But when I tried to do things like make a song a ringtone just to find out I need iTunes and 17 steps I was like what? iOS is a rock its fast, its stable, and the apps look fantastic. Battery life? Unbelievable. The Apple maps thing I thought was completely over blown. Google maps has plenty of its own issues and I never drove into a ravine. Sorry if I miss read your post. I want to love the iPhone and for the first 4 months it was true love. Then it hit me. Now its the Droid DNA the M7s little brother.

There are apps in iOS that allow you to create ringtones using your music directly from your iPhone.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
So, by your logic, maybe 85% of the people - geeks or otherwise - dont need cameras on their phones, so lets take that away too. They also dont need Siri, so lets take it away too, etc, etc, etc.

How can you repeatedly fail to get the simple point that eliminating the file system can be an -- ADVANTAGE -- for many?

What's the point of removing something that's beneficial?

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
There are apps in iOS that allow you to create ringtones using your music directly from your iPhone.

Great, thanks is there one that will let me save a .xls (Excel) from and email and edit it? That would be awesome.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
. Not everyone has time or know-how to worry about what's killing their battery and uninstalling apps one by one to find the culprit, or dealing with a file system, etc.

I'll give you that about the battery killing apps in the background, but it's not exactly rocket science to view the running processes in the battery settings.

YkZji8V.png

As for the File System? You don't have to deal with it in Android, in fact you actually have to go out of your way to access it. You have to specifically search and download for a File Explorer app, and then you get access to it. I love the fact that Android basically says "Well, you don't need access to it but if you want to, here you go". Where as iOS just stick its fingers in its ears screaming "NO DONT NEED IT! LALALALALALALA!"

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I'll give you that about the battery killing apps in the background, but it's not exactly rocket science to view the running processes in the battery settings.

YkZji8V.png

As for the File System? You don't have to deal with it in Android, in fact you actually have to go out of your way to access it. You have to specifically search and download for a File Explorer app, and then you get access to it. I love the fact that Android basically says "Well, you don't need access to it but if you want to, here you go". Where as iOS just stick its fingers in its ears screaming "NO DONT NEED IT! LALALALALALALA!"

True enough about the file system - it's not exactly like you have to use it on Android, like you say.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt that image just show you how long each app has been running and not much battery it's used?

Edit: I know that you can also check the battery percentage each app uses, but some apps cause things like 'Android System' to drain battery which is a little harder to track down.

For example, there was a gyroscope bug in Chrome that caused battery drain (I'm sure it will be fixed by now), but it wasn't Chrome that showed up as the hog.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Speaking of this filing system, I have a question:

What files are we talking about being able to access? I understand the desire for a CENTRAL file system ala desktops/laptops.....but iOS HAS a file system that is accessible, just not the standard one people are used to.....they're called apps.

All of my music files are located in the "Music" app. Novel.

All of my PDF's are located in iBooks (unless I decide to edit them at which time I pull them into other apps).

All of my photos are saved in the "Photos" app.

All of my documents are saved in my iWork apps (and on iCloud).

Any system files are tucked away safely from the user because Apple doesn't want a user unknowingly messing with something they shouldn't. Obviously, if you want access to these types of files, you shouldn't be buying an iPhone for various other reasons as well - it won't suit your needs.

I would agree that sharing options should be bolstered (though I personally don't need to share to many other places than already provided by iOS), but its plenty easy to access "files" through iOS.

Again - this is a "file system" in an OS that is APP focused.....hence the files are kept in their respective apps.

If you want a phone that is OS focused, get an Android.....or jailbreak ;)

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Speaking of this filing system, I have a question:

What files are we talking about being able to access? I understand the desire for a CENTRAL file system ala desktops/laptops.....but iOS HAS a file system that is accessible, just not the standard one people are used to.....they're called apps.

All of my music files are located in the "Music" app. Novel.

All of my PDF's are located in iBooks (unless I decide to edit them at which time I pull them into other apps).

All of my photos are saved in the "Photos" app.

All of my documents are saved in my iWork apps (and on iCloud).

Any system files are tucked away safely from the user because Apple doesn't want a user unknowingly messing with something they shouldn't. Obviously, if you want access to these types of files, you shouldn't be buying an iPhone for various other reasons as well - it won't suit your needs.

I would agree that sharing options should be bolstered (though I personally don't need to share to many other places than already provided by iOS), but its plenty easy to access "files" through iOS.

Again - this is a "file system" in an OS that is APP focused.....hence the files are kept in their respective apps.

If you want a phone that is OS focused, get an Android.....or jailbreak ;)

What about any files you download via the browser, where do they go?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
What about any files you download via the browser, where do they go?

While I understand what you were trying to do, there ARE ways to download files via the browser....and apps that let you manage those files....

The one I have is filer.....though I will say, I don't download many if any files from the browser itself....I use Apple's services....iTunes, the App Store, etc. If there is a PDF that I find that I need, when viewing you can simply pull it into iBooks much like you pull pictures from the internet into the camera roll....

My use case doesn't warrant any need for a file system so I am coming at this from that perspective. My point is - I'm not the only one who has no reason/use to dig into the file system, other than less knowledgeable users than myself would get in there and muck something up.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
True enough about the file system - it's not exactly like you have to use it on Android, like you say.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt that image just show you how long each app has been running and not much battery it's used?

Edit: I know that you can also check the battery percentage each app uses, but some apps cause things like 'Android System' to drain battery which is a little harder to track down.

For example, there was a gyroscope bug in Chrome that caused battery drain (I'm sure it will be fixed by now), but it wasn't Chrome that showed up as the hog.

I was about to post the screen where it shows you what % each app or process is using but then saw your edit, if an app was causing the system to use more battery? I guess you might have to do a bit of detective work. For me anyway the pros outweigh the cons of using Android over iOS.

----------

While I understand what you were trying to do, there ARE ways to download files via the browser....and apps that let you manage those files....

The one I have is filer.....though I will say, I don't download many if any files from the browser itself....I use Apple's services....iTunes, the App Store, etc. If there is a PDF that I find that I need, when viewing you can simply pull it into iBooks much like you pull pictures from the internet into the camera roll....

My use case doesn't warrant any need for a file system so I am coming at this from that perspective. My point is - I'm not the only one who has no reason/use to dig into the file system, other than less knowledgeable users than myself would get in there and muck something up.

Unless you're rooter, file explorers don't allow you access to system files that would allow you to break. You'd have to root, and then download a separate "Root File Explorer" to mess with those files. Say my friend sends me something in email, my Dad recently sent me a video he shot on his iPhone of my little brother unwrapping the birthday present I bought him, if I'd had an iPhone I would have to keep going back to the email app and possibly downloading it again each time I wanted to view it. With Android it would go to my Downloads folder. I could then possibly use a file explorer to move it to a videos folder if I wanted to clear out my downloads. Although I noticed recently that my video player app was displaying videos from all over my phone, not just ones in the video folder.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Unless you're rooter, file explorers don't allow you access to system files that would allow you to break. You'd have to root, and then download a separate "Root File Explorer" to mess with those files. Say my friend sends me something in email, my Dad recently sent me a video he shot on his iPhone of my little brother unwrapping the birthday present I bought him, if I'd had an iPhone I would have to keep going back to the email app and possibly downloading it again each time I wanted to view it. With Android it would go to my Downloads folder. I could then possibly use a file explorer to move it to a videos folder if I wanted to clear out my downloads. Although I noticed recently that my video player app was displaying videos from all over my phone, not just ones in the video folder.

Ok - still I ask then, what files would you care about that can't already be viewed by the apps in iOS?

There are "Open In" options in iOS that would automatically move that file to the app and store it there.....again like matt said - unless you use a bunch of different apps that show the same files, it's not hard to locate a file.

Essentially, the app itself acts like a folder - with immensely more options than your standard folder would have.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I was about to post the screen where it shows you what % each app or process is using but then saw your edit, if an app was causing the system to use more battery? I guess you might have to do a bit of detective work. For me anyway the pros outweigh the cons of using Android over iOS.

Yeah I bought an app called 'better battery stats' which shows you which wakelocks are draining the battery and it tells you a bit about them. Was a godsend.

The thing that people on message boards forget a lot of the time is that people who don't join message boards to discuss technology like we do (or have an interest in tech) aren't necessarily going to be as tech savvy and be able to solve problems like we can.

For me, a wake lock means "Damn, what a ballache having to solve this wake lock problem."

For my mum it would mean "This phone is rubbish, I want something that actually lasts half the day."

^^ Not saying this post specifically applies to you :p

Android is a great OS and I can see the benefits of both iOS and Android. I just think some people don't understand that iOS' "stupidity" and simplicity is actually its' charm.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Ok - still I ask then, what files would you care about that can't already be viewed by the apps in iOS?

There are "Open In" options in iOS that would automatically move that file to the app and store it there.....again like matt said - unless you use a bunch of different apps that show the same files, it's not hard to locate a file.

Essentially, the app itself acts like a folder - with immensely more options than your standard folder would have.

Let's say I wanted to do something simple like say I was browsing the internet and I came across a funny gif that I might want to download for later so I can post it to my favorite forum. What would be the easiest and most efficient way to do this?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Let's say I wanted to do something simple like say I was browsing the internet and I came across a funny gif that I might want to download for later so I can post it to my favorite forum. What would be the easiest and most efficient way to do this?

Lol I have no idea - never done this. Let me check it out and I'll get back to ya.

Last edited:

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I Still don't know why the current focus on this thread has turned into an ios/ android debate. We are supposed to be talking about the HTC One device.

Cnet-Asia has posted a shoot out between the iphone and the One. I know the Software is not final but it's giving me pause. I'm surprised with the lack of detail. Color accuracy and low light captures seem to be good though.

http://asia.cnet.com/htc-one-vs-iphone-5-camera-shootout-62220556.htm

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003

Plus, I AFAIK, it's also part of what makes iOS a pretty secure platform. Keeping individual apps along their data within their own sandboxes helps to keep any potential problems contained.

----------

I Still don't know why the current focus on this thread has turned into an ios/ android debate.

Doesn't that happen every thread here? :p

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Long press on the GIF and select "Save image" then it saves it to the gallery. Then to post it you can use an app like Tapatalk.

Random one I just found on the net:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21361559385.405765.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.