Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Hi Mac Pro users

Just wondering what monitor you use for your work and what monitors good for Video, picture editing or any animation work.

Since you are the best people to ask as a professionals.
I use mac mini i7 2012 model, I have Dell Ultra-sharp 24 inch at the moment it is second one (replacement), it is getting same as first and it is not true black(edges) when complete dark picture. near to basel is whitish, it is bit annoying.
What I would like monitor has other than great picture quality, USB ports, not bulky look. good if has integrated camera and HDMI. Something not too expensive maybe around £250 or $350

thanks at advance

Last edited:

JavaTheHut

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2010
NEC MultiSync PA271W - $weet spot for a quality 27in monitor, But you need to save $ so you could get a PA241W - 24in

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
. Something not too expensive maybe around £250 or $350

Can you use a two monitor set up? One way may be to keep the Dell Utrasharp and go about the same size for a second monitor.

Top quality display and large size is going to bust your price constraint.

Even still, NEC P or PA series (e.g., http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/p232w-bk ) or any of the Ezio stuff is out of range.

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
Hi Mac Pro users

Just wondering what monitor you use for your work and what monitors good for Video, picture editing or any animation work.

Since you are the best people to ask as a professionals.
I use mac mini i7 2012 model, I have Dell Ultra-sharp 24 inch at the moment it is second one (replacement), it is getting same as first and it is not true black(edges) when complete dark picture. near to basel is whitish, it is bit annoying.
What I would like monitor has other than great picture quality, USB ports, not bulky look. good if has integrated camera and HDMI. Something not too expensive maybe around £250 or $350

thanks at advance

Dell u2713hm

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
My recommendations:

Apple 24 Inch LED Cinema Display
Apple 27 Inch LED Cinema Display..

Unless you can find a way to convert thunderbolt's signal to say, Mini-Display-Port, then this monitor is not possible with the current Mac Pros.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
1080 in a 23" is just perfect IMO. At that point if more screen real estate is needed then either go 32" or get a second monitor. Just my opinion...

I agree with most here. The makers EIZO, NEC are tops! HP and DELL are second up. LED backlighting is better than not. And I dunno anything about Apple monitors. I know they got busted awhile back selling 6-bit displays as full color IPS displays in a bait and switch type scam. That was enough to put me off even considering them for monitors.

Last edited:

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I use a Dell U3011 and absolutely love it for photography. I've also had good experiences with some of the other Dell IPS panels in the past.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
NEC MultiSync PA271W - $weet spot for a quality 27in monitor, But you need to save $ so you could get a PA241W - 24in

indeed, they are awesome Monitors with big M :)
Unfortunatly, Im just after uni, and got very little cash for a monitor, Can you recommend anything cheaper. I got Dell Ultrasharp U2412Mb it is reasonable monitor but there backlight leaking is annoying sometimes on dark pictures. I thought maybe I will return it and get some Samsung or LG monitor for half of Dells price and save that money for greater monitors.
What your thoughts

----------

Can you use a two monitor set up? One way may be to keep the Dell Utrasharp and go about the same size for a second monitor.

Top quality display and large size is going to bust your price constraint.

Even still, NEC P or PA series (e.g., http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/p232w-bk ) or any of the Ezio stuff is out of range.

I have a deal on my Dell, which I can return it for full refund at the moment. but proper monitors 2x higher price than this, got it for £215. I am thinking to refund it and get some cheaper 23'-24' LG, Sam. and keep rest of the money for the feature monitor upgrade?

----------

:apple: + HP-LP2480zx = :eek:

2K? :eek: I can enjoy only on the pictures at the moment :))

----------

Dell u2713hm

Any backlight leaked or anything annoying when used with Macs?

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
1080 in a 23" is just perfect IMO. At that point if more screen real estate is needed then either go 32" or get a second monitor. Just my opinion...

I agree with most here. The makers EIZO, NEC are tops! HP and DELL are second up. LED backlighting is better than not. And I dunno anything about Apple monitors. I know they got busted awhile back selling 6-bit displays as full color IPS displays in a bait and switch type scam. That was enough to put me off even considering them for monitors.

I couldn't be agree more.
I wouldn't bother with glossy apple monitors if I afford to EIZO, NEC.
unfortunatly bit straglin even with DELL monitors(I mean better ones) as they are bit higher than my budget.
What you think about iiyama monitors or any other like samsung etc.
thanks

Last edited:

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I couldn't be agree more.
I wouldn't bother with glossy apple monitors if I afford to EIZO, NEC.
unfortunatly bit straglin even with DELL monitors(I mean better ones) as they are bit higher than my budget.
What you think about iiyama monitors or any other like samsung etc.
thanks

Personally? I know IIYama from the tube monitor days only. I dunno anything about them for LCD panel monitors. They had some very good (price performance) monitors back in those days though. :p

Samsung, I dislike the company, and I try to avoid their products. Their hand-held device specs make that difficult tho. :D

I've heard others say and have experienced myself that their LCD monitors are engineered to purposefully fail within 3 to 6 months after the warrantee expires. I had two 24" TN types in a gaming setup and one died 4 months after the warrantee expired followed by the other 6 weeks later. When I investigated there were a whole slew of folks saying the same thing about a wide variety of Samsung brand LCD panel monitors. <shrug>

For me it's their human labor policies that are a huge turn-off. Unfortunately they're so dang big they're really hard to avoid. :(

But that's all I know. I dunno Samsung monitor image quality in any comparative way. I can tell you I never see them listed in the better reviews and head-to-head shoot-outs as being anything special...

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Again. $400.00 buys you an Eizo. $50.00 more than a 6-bit Dell IPS with horrid AG coating. It isn't Eizo top of the line but it is best I have seen with w-LED backlight. 99% sRGB and 77% Adobe RGB coverage. Fastest IPS variant on the market for Photo and Games.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
I am using a 23" Apple Cinema Display 2003 model. Still working fine even though it's old. Image is still bright that my brightness slider is only positioned a little over halfway. I just prefer matte, non-glossy though I know others prefer glossy screens. I only noticed that the current Apple LED displays you need to position the brightness slider all the way to maximum after trying out a demo unit. Though I know NEC produces great monitors for better color accuracy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.