Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Hi guys,

The home button on my iPhone 4 is getting worse and worse. I now need to press it 4 or 5 times (each time) to get it to work. It's driving me nuts! I've heard that a couple drops of 99.9% isopropyl alcohol might do the trick, but here's my question:

Does it HAVE TO BE 99.9% isopropyl alcohol? Or can it be 91% isopropyl alcohol?

I can find the 91% stuff in local stores for fairly cheap, but I'd have to order the 99.9% stuff online -- and frankly I'd rather not spend around $10 for literally 2 drops of this stuff.

Anyone know? Thanks!

:)

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
99.9% Isopropyl alcohol would be a very quick and effective fix if you just needed to clean the flex cable area of dirt or other debris. If you have to push the home button down several times before it works, you may need to replace the home button flex cable. What happens is, over time the metal disc on the home button flex cable loses its "bounce" and needs to be replaced.

I would first try the isopropyl alcohol first; but I would recommend 99.9% over the 91%. The higher percentage means a higher concentration of alcohol which results in less water, and a much faster evaporation of the alcohol. Water is our iPhones 2nd greatest enemy after hard surfaces, :)

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
91% should be just fine. Many home buttons have been repaired that way. Your phone is out of warranty anyway. Just a drop or two. :cool:

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
I know this isn't really the answer you're looking for, but if that doesn't work for you, you can always turn on assistive touch through settings, general, accessibility, assistive touch. It gives you a small software button to simulate a home button umong other things. Just an option if the alcohol doesn't help.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
If you have to push the home button down several times before it works, you may need to replace the home button flex cable.
Yikes. I hope that's not the case.

I would first try the isopropyl alcohol first; but I would recommend 99.9% over the 91%.
Yeah, I understand. Tough call. $10 for 2 drops. But I know it's the safest way to go.

I know this isn't really the answer you're looking for, but if that doesn't work for you, you can always turn on assistive touch through settings, general, accessibility, assistive touch.
I read about that too. I might have to do it.

91% should be just fine. Many home buttons have been repaired that way. Your phone is out of warranty anyway. Just a drop or two. :cool:
I'm kinda thinkin' the same thing. Keep your fingers crossed for me! :)

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
Yikes. I hope that's not the case.

Yeah, I understand. Tough call. $10 for 2 drops. But I know it's the safest way to go.

I read about that too. I might have to do it.

I'm kinda thinkin' the same thing. Keep your fingers crossed for me! :)

Here's the thing: Generally, 91%-94% Isopropyl alcohol SHOULD be ok. We just choose to take the path with the least possibility of collateral damage.

If you are willing to try the 91% though, I would say go ahead and see if it works! If it does, you saved your phone and saved some money :)

Another plus is that if the home button flex does need to be repaired, you can get a replacement for under $10. Keep us posted with the results!

urbanlung

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2004
location location, location!
Hi, it really depends on what the other 9% is. I can certainly atest to the Isopropy and Peanut Butter mixture being somewhat detrimental. I'd also steer clear of any Isopropyl with Kangaroo or spanners, both can cause problems.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Hi, it really depends on what the other 9% is. I can certainly atest to the Isopropy and Peanut Butter mixture being somewhat detrimental.
I just came back from the store. Turns out the other 9% *is* peanut butter!

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
UPDATE: Well, maybe I was a bit too careful to not use too much alcohol, but my first attempt did not work. :(

I'm gonna try it once more.

iRepairParts, where can I get that home button flex thingamajig, just in case this doesn't work?

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Oh my. I think it worked!

I tried it again, this time using more alcohol and rubbing/clicking a bit more. So far it seems to be MUCH improved. I'll play with it a bit more and see what happens.

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
Oh my. I think it worked!

I tried it again, this time using more alcohol and rubbing/clicking a bit more. So far it seems to be MUCH improved. I'll play with it a bit more and see what happens.

Sounds good! PM me if you need a flex cable. I am not sure if I can post links to websites here.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Sounds good! PM me if you need a flex cable. I am not sure if I can post links to websites here.
Thanks, I appreciate that. But this HAD TO have been the problem because now the home button works like brand new. In fact it's smooth as buttah! :)

For those of you that know how frustrating this button problem can be, you know how happy I am right now. :D

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
Thanks, I appreciate that. But this HAD TO have been the problem because now the home button works like brand new. In fact it's smooth as buttah! :)

For those of you that know how frustrating this button problem can be, you know how happy I am right now. :D

Yup, it sounds nailed the problem right on the head! There's no better feeling than a successful repair!

libertysat

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
When I experienced similar symptoms I got my shop vac out, turned phone facing down and held the suction real close to button as I pushed the button all sorts of ways
Took about 5 seconds and button works perfect ever since

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Well guys, it's been about 7 hours now and I'm just blown away with the improvement. For others out there with the same home button problem, I highly recommend buying a bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol for around $1.49. You'll be glad you did!

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
When I experienced similar symptoms I got my shop vac out, turned phone facing down and held the suction real close to button as I pushed the button all sorts of ways
Took about 5 seconds and button works perfect ever since

Its amazing how much dirt and grime can get in under the home button

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Well guys, it's been about 7 hours now and I'm just blown away with the improvement. For others out there with the same home button problem, I highly recommend buying a bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol for around $1.49. You'll be glad you did!

Fixed the problem for me to. However after I spilt the alcohol all over the phone while trying to put the phone back in it's case so broke the screen.

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
My friend has this problem( he's iPhone 4 button doesn't work at all unless you push it so hard that you get a spots on your fingers.) , thanks for letting know. Is it really works?

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
My friend has this problem( he's iPhone 4 button doesn't work at all unless you push it so hard that you get a spots on your fingers.) , thanks for letting know. Is it really works?

Isopropyl alcohol is great for cleaning away debris such as dirt, dust, and other small particles from the the home button flex cable which can cause issues with the home button function.

If the isopropyl alcohol does not work, the home button flex cable needs to be replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.