Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richy21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
Does AT&T blacklist phones?

I plan on selling some old phones, but am wondering if AT&T blacklist phones.
My issue is I have an iPhone 4 and a 3GS i want to sell to pay off my bill for my iPhone 5. AT&T currently cut my line until I pay my bill, so I'm wondering if they blacklisted my old phones. My 2 year contracts on the other phones have been completed, the only contract I have with them currently is for the iPhone 5.

Both are cim card phones, and the iphone 4 is gsm.

Will the buyer have any problem activating the phones with AT&T considering the contracts for those phones have been completed except for my current contract on my iPhone 5.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

My issue is I have an iPhone 4 and a 3GS i want to sell to pay off my bill for my iPhone 5. AT&T currently cut my line until I pay my bill, so I'm wondering if they blacklisted my old phones. My 2 year contracts on the other phones have been completed, the only contract I have with them currently is for the iPhone 5.

Will the buyer have any problem activating the phones with AT&T considering the contracts for those phones have been completed except for my current contract on my iPhone 5.

Thanks.

They only blacklist devices if the customer asks them to and if the device is reported lost or stolen.
Not because you didnt pay your bill. Verizon and Sprint only does that not AT&T or Tmobile.
The old cellphones will work and activate fine with any other AT&T sim.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
According to howardforums, AT&T and TMo blacklist devices that have been used on accounts that have been suspended for non payment.

So you can't skip your contract and sell your subsidized phone for a few bucks.

Richy21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
They only blacklist devices if the customer asks them to and if the device is reported lost or stolen.
Not because you didnt pay your bill. Verizon and Sprint only does that not AT&T or Tmobile.
The old cellphones will work and activate fine with any other AT&T sim.

According to howardforums, AT&T and TMo blacklist devices that have been used on accounts that have been suspended for non payment.

So you can't skip your contract and sell your subsidized phone for a few bucks.

I'm sure they would block my phones currently in contract, but am wondering about the old phones that have been out of contract. As in the 2-year contract on them have expired. The only phone that is in contract is my current iPhone 5.

Do they block all the phones including the old ones that are out of contract/use?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I'm sure they would block my phones currently in contract, but am wondering about the old phones that have been out of contract. As in the 2-year contract on them have expired. The only phone that is in contract is my current iPhone 5.

Do they block all the phones including the old ones that are out of contract/use?

I'm not sure how they could, you've paid for the phone (unless you were as delinquent on your previous accounts as you are on this one).

Richy21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not sure how they could, you've paid for the phone (unless you were as delinquent on your previous accounts as you are on this one).

On the previous contracts, there was no issue. The 2 year contracts on the other old phones where fully paid. Just waiting for my check to pay off my current bill next week. I'll give AT&T a call when I get home.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

Thanks.

Only someone with access to your account can tell you that. Why not call att and get a definite answer instead of relying on speculation.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I never heard of such thing with AT&T and Tmobile.
Did it just start happening now?

I guess it makes sense (though I haven't heard of it before). The key is that it's a subsidized phone on contract, if you have a phone you own they'll probably just shut off service.

Richy21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
I tested an old prepaid sim card that had balance and was able to make calls on the 3GS, both are GSM. So I'm guessing they are fine.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
]OP, I don't mean to be a dick, but honestly, pick up the phone and ask the CS rep at AT&T. People without standing who don't really know how the subtleties of your situation are answering. They can be all wrong. It's guess work.

Geez, I don't know why people don't go to the company to get their take on this. Then research your own contract to verify if the info is correct.

Richy21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
]OP, I don't mean to be a dick, but honestly, pick up the phone and ask the CS rep at AT&T. People without standing who don't really know how the subtleties of your situation are answering. They can be all wrong. It's guess work.

Geez, I don't know why people don't go to the company to get their take on this. Then research your own contract to verify if the info is correct.

I did.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Up unto post 10 you seemed to still be operating from guess work. I'm interested, what did you learn about your specific case?

Richy21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
Up unto post 10 you seemed to still be operating from guess work. I'm interested, what did you learn about your specific case?

The phones were no longer in contract/use, told me to do what ever I flipping wanted. Other than that I had to call a few times after each representative had no idea what I was talking about or was just too damn lazy and would put me in hold until the call disconnected. Like any other support number.

Edit: They also told me to give the buyer my unlock number after I sell it? I have no idea what he/she meant by this.. the lock screen code?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.