Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I'm currently trying to set up my iPhone 5 and restore my backup from iTunes. However, it won't let me because I don't have the new iTunes 10.7. When I try to download 10.7, it says it requires a newer version of Mac OS X.

Wtf?! This is ridiculous.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
From http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

iphon5requirements.JPG

bubaglobalj

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I'm currently trying to set up my iPhone 5 and restore my backup from iTunes. However, it won't let me because I don't have the new iTunes 10.7. When I try to download 10.7, it says it requires a newer version of Mac OS X.

I have the exact same problem. Is there no way I can access my iPhone 5 , using OSX 10.5.8 and Itunes version 10.6.3 ?

I've tried updating my operating system, but it looks like there is no way to do this, except when you order a DVD somewhere, is that correct.

@ Anthony, I am curious, how are you solving this problem?

Thanks

bubaglobalj

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
so I have ordered the snow leopard CD from Apple for 19.99 . Takes 7 days to get to my location with the free shipping option. Hopefully it will work fine with that then.

HadItWithWindow

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008

I was shocked too. I bought two iPhone5's. I have Snow on my Mac so I had no problem. My wife's Mac is different and cannot take 10.7. I called Apple and they are sending a free update but it will take a week.

I was tempted yesterday to cancel my pre-order and go with Android but I'm so into Apple I resisted and bought 2 phones and the latest iPad today. Was stunned when this problem happened. That's the only reason I bought Apple products. I never knew they would squeeze us out as new OS were developed. I hope this isn't a trend they continue or I will shop elsewhere.

bubaglobalj

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Where did you get it for $19.99?

Directly at Apple Canada.

----------

I was shocked too. I bought two iPhone5's. I have Snow on my Mac so I had no problem. My wife's Mac is different and cannot take 10.7. I called Apple and they are sending a free update but it will take a week.

I was tempted yesterday to cancel my pre-order and go with Android but I'm so into Apple I resisted and bought 2 phones and the latest iPad today. Was stunned when this problem happened. That's the only reason I bought Apple products. I never knew they would squeeze us out as new OS were developed. I hope this isn't a trend they continue or I will shop elsewhere.

how did u get them to send you the update for free?

hanzisripped

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012

How long have you been buying Apple products? Apple is notoriously known for cutting off old stuff, so this shouldn't really be a surprise, and if it is, get used to it ;)

mandy123

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I had this problem too (yeah I am lazy and never upgraded my 2008 Macbook, what of it :p ) but I called Apple Saurday and the package is already here.

HadItWithWindow

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
I may have spoke too soon. The "free" disc did not arrive this week so I called 800-MY Apple back and she said they had no note of a free shipment. My wife's out of date OS requires a disc to upgrade her 10.5.8 and I cannot download the Mountain Lion I bought for my Mac because I can't access App Store Purchases on 10.5.8. Crazy

Soooooo I went ahead and bought the disc for $19 and change BOOOOOOOOO

Mindsynk

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
F that

How long have you been buying Apple products? Apple is notoriously known for cutting off old stuff, so this shouldn't really be a surprise, and if it is, get used to it ;)

I spent almost 2k on just a plastic Macbook before Apple tossed those out the window, and another $1,800 on iDevices ranging from the second gen ipod to the iPhone 5. I've kept my MacBook running fine without any damage since 07, and even rocked a first gen iphone for five years without breaking it. I don't think Apple gets to punish me for being able to not break me *****, and they know know it, they just don't want to tell you that, otherwise lay-downs like you don't walk into the Apple Store, lay down on the the floor, hold your wallet in the air, and ask them what you should buy. I full heartedly agree with HadItWithWindow, so far I've got two upgrade dvds from Apple for free. One was for buying a new hard drive from Apple, which they make you think you have to (not true) and it came pre installed with a higher OS then the disks that came with my comp. I wanted to clean my comp and reinstall, and simply explaining that I had bought there HDD for an outrageous price means i should have got the dvd to go with it, got a free leopard disk no prob. Next was for exactly this iPhone 5 problem, and got the snow leopard disk no problem. So don't ask "how long have you been using Apple products" this is not how they operated even two years ago, I never had all the bs with things outdating and not working till about the 4s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.