Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danida

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
Outlook doe snot send and outbox disappeared

hello! I tried the solution above and managed to recover the emails sitting in the outbox, however, I am still unable to send them.. any suggestions?

thank you

nainotsil

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
Outbox in Outlook

MS really should know better.
I had a spare subscription to MS Office 365 so opted to load it on Mac as I've happily used Outlook since it started.
I had the same problem: large file with pics attached keeps trying to send itself but there's no way of deleting it because MS has mislaid the Outbox in Outlook 2011.
BY ACCIDENT I sent myself an appointment invitation from Calendar in Outlook with just a few words and the date in the To: line .... and lo and behold the Outlook box appeared with the invitation as an unsent file! I was able to delete the large miscreant file successfully BUT, by keeping the rogue invitation in Outlook (i.e. not deleting it) it's kept Outbox open.
Weird or what?
Best
Ian
UK

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
You'll need to create the email with smaller attachments. If there are no attachments, you can try copy/paste the contents into a new message and see if that sends.

BTW, for anyone following this thread, there is a script that will remove messages that you can't see in the Outbox. Note: it deletes them with no way to recover.

Delete Outbox Messages

http://www.scriptsformac.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Delete_Outbox_messages.zip

Reactions: koalarda

gsweet-boulay

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2013
Using this outbox

Thanks for helping me find the outbox. It works but..
Ok, so I went into offline mode and yes, I could see the Outbox folder.
However, I can't drag any messages into it.
There are times when I want to send out several emaisl. I used to have them go to my drafts folder and after I've double checked everything, I'd drag all of them to the Outbox to send them all at once. At least that's what I used to do in Entourage. Anyone fix or figure out how to fix that problem.

Here is more info, I use FileMaker to generate emails that I want to send to students or club members. However, the email go to the drafts folder. Which I like because it gives me a chance to double check that everything is OK. I need to be able to drag all the files to the outbox instead of opening, one by one and then pressing send.

Any help would be much appreciated.

kkumar

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013
I don't think you need to go to the nursing home. "...MS is incompetent on a level and scale that should be criminal..." Count me in on that referendum.

rpaitich

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2013
How to delete from "Outbox" in Office 2011

A few commented that they'd like to stop the mail being sent to allow them to delete an email. RedpointRik offered a good solution. Here's a solution I used:

*go to the very top bar, where the internet connection is shown; looks like an old-fashioned ladies' fan, for my wi-fi

*click on the "fan" and select "Turn Wi-Fi off"

*now you can double click the Outbox in Outlook and delete the email.

pastorforbe

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
great post

Solution for the missing Outbox that I have found:
1. Select "Work Offline" in the Outlook menu
2. Force close Outlook
3. Re-open Outlook.
4. You will still be offline and able to see the Outbox with the message that you want to delete.
5. Go back to the Outlook menu and again select "Work Offline", which will un-check that option and allow you to do a S/R.

Editorial: It is not only Microsoft that slights Macintosh, many software vendors are cheesy about Mac support. It is simply the cross we bear...

Thanks a lot. That really helped.

Neil-London

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2008
It reports deleted mail too...

This gets worse.

I had the same problem, thanks for pointing out the progress window. I deleted the mail that the attachment was too big, but then it tried to sync the deleted mail, reporting every few mins the mail was too big!

So stop the progress upload, search the deleted mail locally and deleted there too..

Now it has stopped reporting it.

Resli Costabell

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
found a solution

Nothing else worked. Then I searched for the troublesome email, and deleted it from the resulting search box. Worked like a charm!

NB: The email appeared in the search box dated 1904! When I clicked on it, the correct date was within the email. But you may want to search for features other than the date.

Detailed instructions:
1) Click Edit at the very top of the page. In the drop-down menu, choose Find and then Advanced Find.
2) That will bring up an "item contains" box at the top of the page. Click the up/down arrows next to "item contains" to decide what features to search for. (The small + sign on the right allows you to add more features, if you want. I searched for the recipient's name, and for an attachment existing.) 3) Above and to the left of the "item contains" box, choose "all mail". The nasty email will appear in the search box, possibly among others.
4) Rummage through the search box until you find the nasty email. Click on it. Then hit the Backspace button and it's deleted.
5) Celebrate.

Dubgirl

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
Thank God!

Thank you all for this...very helpful. I've had a large email stuck in my invisible outbox for 5 days now, which was holding up everything else. Thanks so much for the solution.
;)

Elaine1111

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
Where Your Outbox is!!!

When you are sending an email and you want to delete from outbox and dont seem to have an outbox ...

at the top of your email you have (Home) (Organize) (tools) tabs

Click on Tools.

Click on progress.

click on stop sync.

Your outbox then appears at the bottom left. Click on it to have it come up fully in the centre screen for you to deal with the emails in there. I found there was no option to delete on the actual mail. I had to go up to file at top left and then delete from there.

:)

Stevebo

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2013
This process describes how to find the Outbox in 2011 and how to delete large emails

As Elaine says below:

When you are sending an email and you want to delete from outbox and dont seem to have an outbox ...

at the top of your email you have (Home) (Organize) (tools) tabs

Click on Tools.

Click on progress.

click on stop sync.

Your outbox then appears at the bottom left. Click on it to have it come up fully in the centre screen for you to deal with the emails in there. I found there was no option to delete on the actual mail. I had to go up to file at top left and then delete from there.

Lucyh

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
Thank you, my problem is solved.

solution for the missing outbox that i have found:
1. Select "work offline" in the outlook menu
2. Force close outlook
3. Re-open outlook.
4. You will still be offline and able to see the outbox with the message that you want to delete.
5. Go back to the outlook menu and again select "work offline", which will un-check that option and allow you to do a s/r.

Editorial: It is not only microsoft that slights macintosh, many software vendors are cheesy about mac support. It is simply the cross we bear...

kkin

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2014
Outbox only appears when a message is just sitting idle and not being sent. Anyway, if you want to cancel a message from being sent, just go to windows --> Progress and click the x button.

MosesT

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2014
Answer

This took me a long time to figure out...

You are correct; THERE IS NO OUTBOX IN MAC OUTLOOK 2011. Really annoying, but there is a way to delete messages that will not send.

1. Click on the TOOLS tab near the top of your desktop Outlook window.

2. Click on the PROGRESS button located on the top right

3. A window with progress bars showing the state of the mail being sent will appear

4. Click the X on the right side of the progress bars that you wish to delete.

5. No more stuck mail!

lxadeluna

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
Easy Method - just found out!

i tried clicking the X..but after my email send/receive...the emails appears again.

to open OUTBOX here's what you do to erase it permanently.

1. send a file to anyone with an big attachement..more than the limit of outlook which i think 10MB, attach a 50mb file to make sure(movies, videos, etc)...now outlook will then try to send that. the reason is we need time for the following instructions...unless you are quick
2. Go to Progress window: WINDOW>PROGRESS..
3. then click STOP SYNC...then on the menu where your inbox is, the outbox folder sits on the bottom part. hope it works on your side.

Last edited:

mills7

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2014
One More Step

Sadly, these good approaches work to find the outbox but do not solve the problem for me. The stuck message does not appear in the outbox. It's a too-large email. From reading comments about this problem with PC Outlook, it sounds like it may actually be a gmail problem or some kind of communication problem between gmail and outlook. Any ideas?

I was able to delete my message from the outbox as well and was getting the same error about the file being too large even when it was gone from the outbox. I found out that when I deleted it from my outbox, it was put in my gmail "trash" folder, and Outlook was trying to upload that very same message to gmail to sync it there. I found the email in the trash, deleted it, and voila! Maybe yours is doing the same thing.

jrosendo

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2014
Outlook Outbox

Thank you for your solution. The only one I've found. You are indeed a genius. Have you considered working for Microsoft MAC division?

2. Force close Outlook
3. Re-open Outlook.
4. You will still be offline and able to see the Outbox with the message that you want to delete.
5. Go back to the Outlook menu and again select "Work Offline", which will un-check that option and allow you to do a S/R.

Editorial: It is not only Microsoft that slights Macintosh, many software vendors are cheesy about Mac support. It is simply the cross we bear...

Applelad

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
How would it work with a Mail Merge

I'm thinking about upgrading from Entourage to Outlook but am worried about the missing outbox in particular for my mail merges.

At the moment when I do a Mail Merge all my messages get placed into my Outbox before being sent which gives me time to check them before sending them in batches.

Anyone any ideas how it would work in an Outbox free world (AKA Outlook 2011)?

SeamusDeMora

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2015
I'm thinking about upgrading from Entourage to Outlook but am worried about the missing outbox in particular for my mail merges.

At the moment when I do a Mail Merge all my messages get placed into my Outbox before being sent which gives me time to check them before sending them in batches.

Anyone any ideas how it would work in an Outbox free world (AKA Outlook 2011)?

I would advise against it... they (MS) seem to have some real issues in their support and code maintenance department for the Office for Mac products.

gordon48

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2015
Ah, yes, thank you Microsoft

2. Force close Outlook
3. Re-open Outlook.

gordon48

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2015

2. Force close Outlook
3. Re-open Outlook.

Thanks that worked great!

R. Geary

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2015
There is another simple solution that I have been using, as often i need to delete a file before it finishes sending. You can do this without having to go offline.
1. Right click the Outlook icon on tool bar and QUIT Outlook.
2. Re-open Outlook while holding the SHIFT key.
3. You will then see your file/s in the outbox, and you can either delete them, or edit and resend them.

Hope this fix helps.

Diane Pomfret

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2015

2. Force close Outlook
3. Re-open Outlook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.