Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corey407woc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
why is everyone buying screen protectors when the iphone 5 is made out of gorilla glass 2?. i can understand buying a case but a protector for the screen?

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
I know someone who had the galaxy s3 which has gorilla glass 2 as well, guess what happened when he dropped it.. Yeah it cracked. I can't speak for scratches but it'll still crack.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Its still possible to scratch the aluminosilicate glass.

So we put protectors on.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
Where's the confirmation it's gorilla glass 2?

I know someone who had the galaxy s3 which has gorilla glass 2 as well, guess what happened when he dropped it.. Yeah it cracked. I can't speak for scratches but it'll still crack.
A screen protector's not supposed to stop fall damage.

hawk1410

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Gorilla glass can still get scratched quite easily, got scratches on my htc one x quite easily even though it has gorilla glass.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
Gorilla glass doesn't mean nothing. I've had multiple smartphones including iPhones. I never use screen protectors but I'm also very careful with my phones. I have enough common sense not to stick my phones in the same pockets with car keys or a bunch of loose coin. But even after all that, I always seem to get very minor scratches on all the phones I've used.

That being that, the term "gorilla glass" can be very widely defined.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Gorilla glass doesn't mean nothing. I've had multiple smartphones including iPhones. I never use screen protectors but I'm also very careful with my phones. I have enough common sense not to stick my phones in the same pockets with car keys or a bunch of loose coin. But even after all that, I always seem to get very minor scratches on all the phones I've used.

That being that, the term "gorilla glass" can be very widely defined.

Same. Dedicated pocket and not too rough on my phone. Both 4 and 4S had some minor scratches and by minor I mean only detectable at an angle under a light. I have friends who are much more reckless with there's and their screens are about in the same condition. I guess I'd be more worried about cracking it at this point. If I were to go for one it'd probably be one of the glass ones. Pricey but I've spent more buying multiple "premium" protectors in the past. Plus I had a friend who dropped his phone (galaxy note) with one and the screen survived while the protector cracked a few pieces.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
Gorilla glass doesn't mean crap. I'm one of the most anal people on this earth when it comes to taking care of my iPhones. I baby the hell out of them but I somehow always manage to get minor scratches on the screens.

So much for gorilla strength.

EdwardSung

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
I don't currently have a screen protector and I'm on the fence about it...BUT...the reasoning that makes sense to me is that, IF some injury should happen to the front of your iPhone, if it's only the protector that gets scratched/dented, it can be replaced pretty easily. The iPhone glass itself...not such a trivial thing.

I have dropped my phone (with protector) face-first onto gravel before, so this is a compelling line of thought for me.

On the other hand, I don't know if that risk is worth the day to day experience of using a protector, which never feels as good as the glass itself, and none of which cleans as easily as the glass. So I think it's a question of priorities and what you're willing to live with.

supermanfan

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2008
Yes - It Scratches

Same. Dedicated pocket and not too rough on my phone. Both 4 and 4S had some minor scratches and by minor I mean only detectable at an angle under a light. I have friends who are much more reckless with there's and their screens are about in the same condition. I guess I'd be more worried about cracking it at this point. If I were to go for one it'd probably be one of the glass ones. Pricey but I've spent more buying multiple "premium" protectors in the past. Plus I had a friend who dropped his phone (galaxy note) with one and the screen survived while the protector cracked a few pieces.

Thank you! I am the same. Dedicated pocket, but the scratches happen.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
why is everyone buying screen protectors when the iphone 5 is made out of gorilla glass 2?. i can understand buying a case but a protector for the screen?

I use an AntiGlare overlay not for screen protection but to minimize finger prints ;-)

sbojevets

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2009
The Arctic
i had an S3 and i thought the same
2 months later when i was selling it i saw really fine scratches on the screen. fortunately the buyer couldnt care less. iphone 5 will have a screen protector for me. anti glare at least to minimize fingerprints :apple:.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
All glass scratches. The only thing that wouldn't scratch is diamonds or saphire glass like on the camera lens. Gorilla Glass 2 just happens to be harder to scratch.

K0P Bacon

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
soo...

You ask me why do I use screen protector for my iPhone, or other electronic devices. But my question to you is why do people wear sunglasses for their eyes when it is really bright out?

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Have a nicer experience during use, than have it look perfect two years later.

Of course it's possible to scratch any glass. I think my old iPhone 3GS had a tiny scratch. My current iPhone 5 (and iPhone 4S I gave my mother) have no visible scratches. Yes, I examined them closely (I repair them, and can see the machining etches on the tiny screws inside while working on them). There really are no visible scratches with 8x magnification.

Even if there were scratches, I probably wouldn't notice them while using the iPhone. What I will notice is the scratches and smearing on screen protectors, which do not have as nice of a surface. Sure, this will prevent many scratches if they ever happen in the actual display glass, but you're going to see the scratches in the protective cover. Unless you change screen protector every time it gets a scratch or a smudge, why bother?

I'll go with the NICER OVERALL EXPERIENCE for the up to two years I use the screen, rather than have it look perfect after I'm already done using the two year old iPhone!

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Naked screen since my i4 I got in 2011 and now my recent i5 - and I currently have a wallet style leather case with a soft tissue lining which protects the screen when it is in my pocket. I never put keys or similar objects in with it anyway. :cool:

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Even if you don't put keys or coins in with it, it will still get fine scratches eventually. The reason is because Gorilla Glass isn't harder than quartz, and quartz is found abundantly in sand and dust, which somehow manage to find themselves in pockets regardless, most often during washing with other clothes.

Maybe turning your pockets inside out and vacuuming them once in a while would do the trick....

davidtodd

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
Protect Gorilla Gall or Not

I'd heard that Gorilla glass 2 was unbreakable but having read this thread obviously it is so I'll be using a case or screen protector? Bearing in mind the cost of the phone and how important it is to my life I'll probably use a "flip case" which both protects from scratches and guards those all too vulnerable corners. Does anyone have any favorites?

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
i like the metal ball test shown in this kickstarter (with protector on and without).

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1081571316/rhino-shield-the-impact-resistant-screen-protector

I don't like how after the metal ball test, they show you the "perfect" screen against the WHITE lab coat. Come on. You can't tell whether the screen actually sustained actual damage or not.

Also, after the knife/hole punch/hammer test, they peel off the protector and then show you the screen with a bright webpage loaded on.

They never show you the screen with it off, on a black background, to show you anything. Not to mention that on the knife/holepunch/hammer test, bubbles abound underneath the protector.

Ugh. No thanks.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
why is everyone buying screen protectors when the iphone 5 is made out of gorilla glass 2?.
Same reason as it is for any device out there: personal preference. Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant but it's not unscratchable. This matter has been endlessly rehashed in countless prior threads on screen protectors. If you don't see the point in them then don't use them. Just don't assume that your preferences are universal (on any topic).

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
As far as no protector OP, I'm waiting for your next thread where you complain about scratches on your screen!

I laugh my butt off for those that put anti-glare protectors on their phones! It degrades the screen, so what's the point of having retina? Only one Apple sells in their stores degrades the screen they go crazy about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.