Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Do some people find them annoying, I'd just like to know, I think they're a necessary evil.

I'm sitting here in the library just tip typing away, and I'm wondering if anyone can actually hear it.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Never really noticed it/heard it being noticeably loud. But just like any sort of repetitive noise: if it's too loud to be obnoxious: stop it. Now.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
yeah, I ask my kids to do it. You're sitting by a crackling fire and hear every text chime, every click click click. Even the vibrate goes through the floors of our old home.

Any repetitive noise can become annoying. I sold my coolermaster quickfire keyboard with the old school click-snap cherry blue keys as an act of mercy.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
People don't ask you to type on the computer more softly, so I always thought it was okay.

You must be one of those people who has their phone on full volume alerts... DING DING, as the text comes. Click as you unlock the phone. Tick tack tick tack as you type your message. Swoop as it sends. Another click as it locks.

In short... we hate you.

I surely do. Well I feel like I have to hear the keyboard clicks, or typing just gets really hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: compwiz1202

SoLongAndroid

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
During midterms or finals and sometimes in between with big exams. If someone leaves their clicks on and is just typing away over and over. Hypothetically speaking, there might have or have not been a time when that person got a drink or water spilled on them by someone in the library on accident.

• Haha
Reactions: 5105973

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
You must be one of those people who has their phone on full volume alerts... DING DING, as the text comes. Click as you unlock the phone. Tick tack tick tack as you type your message. Swoop as it sends. Another click as it locks.

In short... we hate you.

You must know my girlfriend

• Haha

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I also need the sound of the click for feedback. I do have my volume down to one bar so I haven't heard any complaints yet. :)

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
People don't ask you to type on the computer more softly, so I always thought it was okay.

You can't change how loud a physical keyboard is, so of course nobody is going to ask you to type more softly. But you have the option to turn off the keyboard clicks on your iPhone, so it's an implied expectation that you do so in situations where a repetitive and unnecessary sound is easily heard. I mean, it's your choice, but just know that there are indeed situations where you should really consider turning that sound off.

S

syd430

In short... we hate you.

Almost as annoying as watching someone have their brightness to 100% in a near dark setting. I just sit there thinking FFS YOU'RE DRAINING YOUR BATTERY UNNECESSARILY AND BLINDING YOUR SELF AT THE SAME TIME :mad:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Personally I find them unnecessary and annoying and have them turned off

Same with me. The only time I would find them annoying if someone else was using them would be in an extremely quiet environment like the library. I wouldn't say anything to them, however.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Same with me. The only time I would find them annoying if someone else was using them would be in an extremely quiet environment like the library. I wouldn't say anything to them, however.

Actually anywhere else I probably wouldn't say anything and quietly judge you, but in a library? You bet your ass I would, you've passed from annoying to actively being rude.

Reactions: Moonjumper

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Do some people find them annoying, I'd just like to know, I think they're a necessary evil.

I'm sitting here in the library just tip typing away, and I'm wondering if anyone can actually hear it.

Normally, I wouldn't be bothered by keyboard clicks, but if I was in the library and you were *continuously* texting next to me (as opposed to a quick message) I'd ask you to turn the sound off. It's inconsiderate in that environment --and I'm sure you could manage to find a way to text without the click sound.

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
Normally, I wouldn't be bothered by keyboard clicks, but if I was in the library and you were *continuously* texting next to me (as opposed to a quick message) I'd ask you to turn the sound off. It's inconsiderate in that environment --and I'm sure you could manage to find a way to text without the click sound.

As bad as the text noises are, nothing beats the people playing world of war craft on their laptops with an external mouse @ 1000 clicks per minute...

It goes a bit like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Knu8pLg6E

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
You must know my girlfriend

Hahaha I'm unsure of the implication of this. Do you mean that because I typed out exactly what she does with her phone? (It does seem to be a more female-centric iPhone behaviour)

----------

Almost as annoying as watching someone have their brightness to 100% in a near dark setting. I just sit there thinking FFS YOU'RE DRAINING YOUR BATTERY UNNECESSARILY AND BLINDING YOUR SELF AT THE SAME TIME :mad:
Movie theatres :confused:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The keyboard clicks annoyed the crap out of me on my very first iPhone. I've had them off for the past 4 1/2 years. Actually, my phone is in vibrate mode probably 80% of the time anyway. I always seem to be in places where alerts/ringtones of any kind would be rude or obnoxious. At home is probably the only place I keep my phone sound on, and even then if I start a text conversation with someone, I'll turn it on vibrate because I get tired of hearing the sounds constantly.

As for the people who need the clicks for feedback, just try it without sometime. I promise you'll still hit the keys. It's not making your a better typer just because you can hear it.

Reactions: hipnetic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.